Test Tone sounds different between speakers ?

felipe

By different, you mean the timbre is off, the bass is less, the high frequency is less?

It could be a driver wired backward in the cabinet, a dead driver, your AVR or a lot of different things. Have you tried any troubleshooting like swapping wires from center to left to see if it's the AVR?

When running the test tone on my AVR, The left speaker sounds different than the right speaker, but the center sounds similar to the right speaker. how can this be?

If your left speaker and right speaker have dissimilar distances to sidewalls or are at different distances from the front wall, or there is a big difference in any acoustically reflective surfaces left-right, including coffee tables, racks, or big leather chairs, or ceiling height, you'll hear a timbre difference between left and right with test tones.  Actually, this is the most sensitive listening test for this--using pink noise.

If the room/loudspeaker locations/furniture locations are symmetric and you're still hearing differences, then you might have a loudspeaker issue.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

By different, you mean the timbre is off, the bass is less, the high frequency is less?

It could be a driver wired backward in the cabinet, a dead driver, your AVR or a lot of different things. Have you tried any troubleshooting like swapping wires from center to left to see if it's the AVR?

Sorry for being a little vague, I meant that the "timbre" is different between the left and right speakers when playing the test tone. I just swapped the L and R to see if it was room acoustics, and the issue remains...the timbre is still different with that speaker. I guess it could be an internal wiring issue :(.

Sorry for being a little vague, I meant that the "timbre" is different between the left and right speakers when playing the test tone. I just swapped the L and R to see if it was room acoustics, and the issue remains...the timbre is still different with that speaker. I guess it could be an internal wiring issue :(.

It could be a dead tweeter. 

I checked the internal wiring, and it all checks out...nothing wired out of phase and all connected securely. Hooked it back up and both drivers are working. I replayed the test tone and placed my ear close to both speakers, and up that close they sound "timbre" matched...so it must be room acoustics...??.

However, when playing source material, they sound fine. Interesting.

It could be a dead tweeter. 

That seems closer than room acoustics.  I usually can tell if there is a problem between the speakers, where the problem is too obvious and doesn't change with room position.

In this case, I suspect the problem is on the left because the right and center are similar.  Put your ear on the grill cloth right in front of each driver on the left, to rule out a dead or miss-wired driver.  Miswiring could be one driver wired out of phase, again more likely on the left.  You can tell out-of-phaseness by the sound output not blending between two drivers very close to their exit areas.  By not blending, I mean just that -- the two drivers seem to fight each other, where you hear one or the other while you move your head around, (the other's sound drops out) but they don't blend into a unified sound.

Some of these misswiring issues can be complicated and not in involve what you might guest first.

Edited by LarryC

It's the different off-axis polar reflections from each loudspeaker that are the root cause of the timbre shifts.  The better the midrange horns can control their polars, the less the timbre shifts based on room placement. 

It's also the reason why you can get such a strident sound from Klipsch Heritage loudspeakers if the floor isn't carpeted or the ceiling is too low--off-axis polars being reflected too close to the loudspeakers.

Chris

When you play music, does it sound right.  If yes, go with room acoustics.  All of my speakers don't sound the same.  Especially, the surrounds.  One of the surrounds is on an outside will with a foot concrete on the other side.  The other surround is on a wall that has a storage area on the other side.  It happens more often than people think.

I am struggling with the same issues on some DIY speakers (DIYSoundgroup, Cheap Thrills.  15" woof, 12" SEOS waveguide w/ DNA 360 CD).  One speaker is clearly not timbre matched with the other using the test tone from the AVR (not sure if it's pink or white noise.)  One speaker is down about 3 db from the other, according to the AVR's Audyssey.

I thought I may have wired something out of phase, but I checked MANY times and everything looks good, but the input terminals through each wire of the of the XO and all though the board.  Everything looks right.  but the confounding variable is my soldering work on the crossover (remember that discussion?) 

I have also done all the cross-checking and re-tracing my steps on the XO, and I think I might have a cold solder connection somewhere.  But where?  How do you test for that? 

My other theory is that some of the components are not within spec.  If the "good" XO is + 5% of spec and the "bad" XO has components - 5%, that could be a difference of 10% in a component.  But where?

I don't mean to hijack Felipe's topic but the symptom's of his speaker sound exactly like mine.

I'd recommend placing them together like Mark mentioned above, and retesting.  If you get a different Audyssey channel gain for each channel doing that, then you've got a crossover or driver issue.

Chris

I just want to thank y'all for chiming in and sharing your thoughts and suggestions. I'll try putting them next to each other and retesting as it was suggested above.

I did as LarryC said..I put my ear up to each driver and they are both functioning..even did the same to the right speaker and the drivers in both L and R sound identical. When playing music (or movies), no such timbre mis-match exists. Maybe one speaker is more "broke-in" than the other??

"I just swapped the L and R to see if it was room acoustics, and the issue remains...the timbre is still different with that speaker. I guess it could be an internal wiring..."

Did you physically reverse the position of the loudspeakers, or did you swap the wires around? I apologize if that sounds condescending.

Maybe one speaker is more "broke-in" than the other??

I know what you mean.  I have had speakers (not all) that sounded different after a break-in period. 

That being said, the idea of the differences from one another because one speaker being more broke-in than the other is highly unlikely.

+++

Even though I can't diagnose and fix my own problem, a mis-wiring somewhere where the polarity is reversed still sounds like the most likely cause for your description of the problem.

My problem and I suspect this is true with most people, is that it is really hard to see your own mistake.

The difference though is I had a self-made DIY problem, and you have a nice, shiny new speaker with a warranty.  :)

I suggest you contact Klipsch tech support.  They seem to be friendly and helpful.  :)

Edited by wvu80

Even though I can't diagnose and fix my own problem, a mis-wiring somewhere where the polarity is reversed still sounds like the most likely cause for your description of the problem.  
Yes, i.e., something may be out of phase. Try looking for differences in how well they blend -- between the drivers on each side, and between the two sides, driver by driver if you can.
  • Like 1

"I just swapped the L and R to see if it was room acoustics, and the issue remains...the timbre is still different with that speaker. I guess it could be an internal wiring..."

Did you physically reverse the position of the loudspeakers, or did you swap the wires around? I apologize if that sounds condescending.

Yes clarification here would be most appreciated. I was confused, well not confused but clarification is needed.

Edited by babadono