Wall switchplate question

CECAA850

A couple of years ago when I was wiring our basement, Home Depot had 250 ft. rolls of 12/2 for such a cheap price, I cold have bought it, taken it to the recycle place and got more money for it that what I paid. :)

I went to JVS for construction electricity.

When you got detention to stay an hour over after class, you got to take your strippers and strip all the instructors left over wire scraps so he could sell them for the copper. 

Naturally, he had a motive to give you a detention if he could, and you would be surprised at how bad a continuous hour of wire stripping will hurt your hands! 

Roger

How many strippers did you bring?

How many wires can a stripper strip if a stripper could strip wires           ? ?  Lars

A couple of years ago when I was wiring our basement, Home Depot had 250 ft. rolls of 12/2 for such a cheap price, I cold have bought it, taken it to the recycle place and got more money for it that what I paid. :)

I went to JVS for construction electricity.

When you got detention to stay an hour over after class, you got to take your strippers and strip all the instructors left over wire scraps so he could sell them for the copper. 

Naturally, he had a motive to give you a detention if he could, and you would be surprised at how bad a continuous hour of wire stripping will hurt your hands! 

Roger

How many strippers did you bring?

How many wires can a stripper strip if a stripper could strip wires           ? ?  Lars

20 Amp circuits need 12 gauge wire ran from the panel.

12 gauge is standard for receptacles, only use the small/cheap stuff for lighting!

roger

I have to disagree about the wiring for lighting.  I have seen lighting wires burnt due to the tiny size of the wire and oversized bulbs put in the light fixture.  I have never used anything smaller then #12 when wiring for my homes.   And recomend not exceeding the rated size for bulbs in the fixture.

20 amp breakers and #12 wire did not make a noticible increase it the cost of my build.

I'm not an electriction.  :wacko:

12 gauge is standard for receptacles, only use the small/cheap stuff for lighting!

roger

I have to disagree about the wiring for lighting.  I have seen lighting wires burnt due to the tiny size of the wire and oversized bulbs put in the light fixture.  I have never used anything smaller then #12 when wiring for my homes.   And recomend not exceeding the rated size for bulbs in the fixture.

20 amp breakers and #12 wire did not make a noticible increase it the cost of my build.

Taz - Everything you said is very good, but it needs to be clarified that the "wires burnt" were not at all due to inadequate wire size, but due to cooking the insulation by overheating, usually due to overwattaging lamps as you said.

#14 CU is perfectly adequate for 15 A ckts, Not always, but in almost all applications.

Excessive ckt length, hence excessive voltage drop, is the most typical exception to above.  Lars

Lars

• Like 1

#14 CU is perfectly adequate for 15 A ckts, Not always, but in almost all applications.

It will pass code here for some uses.  I always buy 12ga for projects though.

Same here, CECAA.

I should back up, and say I wasn't speaking as per current code, but based on historied electrical uses and codes over the years and as a Master up till about 15 yr ago.

By far, probably 90% of existing US homes use 14 GA CU "general lighting" ckts, which is like, o , probably like 80% of the total footage run in a home.

It has proven over mannyy yrs to be more than adequate.

This discussion could go much deeper considering specific different applications, but now I digress.

It's just WAY easier to use 14 over 12 -----  IF it's acceptable ---when wiring new homes all day, every day.

Way easier on hands stuffing into boxes.

Anyway, way to many details to type in that don't matter in this context anyway.   Lars

• Like 1

roger

Here 14 gauge is standard for 15 Amp circuits, the only exception would be for excessively long runs.

Never heard of using 12 gauge for all normal 15 Amp circuits but its not going to hurt anything using larger gauge wire.

• Like 1

roger

Taz - Everything you said is very good, but it needs to be clarified that the "wires burnt" were not at all due to inadequate wire size, but due to cooking the insulation by overheating, usually due to overwattaging lamps as you said.

Excessive ckt length, hence excessive voltage drop, is the most typical exception to above.  Lars

Lars

I agree that #14 is adequate for lighting circuits.  It meets code.  However Code is bare minimum of what is legal.

As I stated I'm not an electriction.  But when the electrical inspecter came in to inspect, everything passed.

Would have had to buy #14 wire and already had lots of #12,

No 15amp breakers.  All 20amp or larger.

I knew a guy that wired all plug ins and lights with #10.  He said that was a real pain in the arse.

I'm not a carpenter either.  So I overbuilt everything.  8" x 20" rough cut timbers exposed in the livingroom made the upstairs capable of holding 18" to 2' of gravel.  Just cuz I thought it would look better then the 6" x 20" specified.

Inspectors would come in,  shake their heads and sign off.

Never had any problem when exceeding the code.

"Code" can be seen as "minimal", but it's not. There is a cushion built in.

All good. Possibly like feeding speakers with over 14 GA, but sure doesnt hurt,  Lars

Agreed that there is a cushion

I just felt comfortable with a biger cushion.

If #12 makes you more comfortable, It's good, And not at all dumb.     Lars

Seems like I heard somewhere that the resistance is higher in the #14 thus increasing electricty used by the "HOUSE".

If you plan to own a home for your lifetime it might be cheaper in the long run to run the larger wire.

Just like using 2x12 12" OC  for short span floor joists. Totally silly useless overkill.  Lars

Funny  :wacko: I thought I had done that.  But no 2x12 on 16" centers and no longer then a 12' span on the upstairs floor.

I'll ask you to understand that I was in  my early 20's, had just got married, and decieded to build my house,

Had a guy tell me I was building an Arkansa house when I was buying insulation.  Said it was way over insulated.  Told him "Mister this is my house!  Now when you build Your House,  You can build it anyway YOU want.

I sure wish I still lived there.  Still own it though, that's something anyhow.      

Edited by Taz