Wall switchplate question

CECAA850

Wow! Switch plate questions. I think someone is getting close to DONE on their bathroom remodel :emotion-21::)

I still have to set the commode but yes, I'm getting close.  My wife has a BUNCH of painting left to do however.  I still haven't picked out a ceiling fan yet either.

Next up for remodel will be out bedroom but other than the floor and one door replacement it should be pretty easy compared to this. 

• Like 1

All the screws will line up but depending on the size of the box, the GFI may need a larger one. It may be a tight fit cramming all those wires in there.

It's a 3 gang and I'll hopefully have a little extra room as the other two are switches.

• Like 1

1.  Not knowing exactly what your goals are

2.  Not electrical advice

I believe that if you have a GFCI outlet ahead of this wall location, you can piggyback off the other GFCI and use a regular outlet here.

Meaning, you don't need a GFCI for ALL your outlets, you just need the first one in the bathroom (or wherever required) to be GFCI and then it can protect those that follow.

I do reserve the right to be wrong but, if that works for you, it will save some tight space in there.

Also, I think the "Decora" nomenclature is more associated with those "rectangular" cutouts verses the traditional round'ish coutouts for outlets.  They are more of a universal fit.

I believe that if you have a GFCI outlet ahead of this wall location, you can piggyback off the other GFCI and use a regular outlet here.

Meaning, you don't need a GFCI for ALL your outlets, you just need the first one in the bathroom (or wherever required) to be GFCI and then it can protect those that follow.

I do reserve the right to be wrong but, if that works for you, it will save some tight space in there.

Also, I think the "Decora" nomenclature is more associated with those "rectangular" cutouts verses the traditional round'ish coutouts for outlets.  They are more of a universal fit.

My goal is to find a switchplate that will accommodate 2 switches and one GFCI plug on a 3 gang box.  It seems if I go with a 3 hole decora cutout and rocker switches I can accomplish it.  I couldn't find a 3 hole plate that was black and hat one GFCI cutout and 2 small conventional switch cut outs.

We

We have an early '60s house, without grounded outlets. When we had some electrical work done, our electrician put GFCIs for the kitchen and bathrooms in the breaker panel. The outlet boxes are really small by today's standards.

Bruce

When I put boxes in, I use metal 4x4 boxes mounted to the stud and then pick whatever 'mud plate' (or whatever it's properly called) for the appliance.

For some reason, I just don't like those plastic boxes.  I think it's because (I personally) perceive more 'flex' with them when I'm pushing a plug in. 

My goal is to find a switchplate that will accommodate 2 switches and one GFCI plug on a 3 gang box.  It seems if I go with a 3 hole decora cutout and rocker switches I can accomplish it.  I couldn't find a 3 hole plate that was black and hat one GFCI cutout and 2 small conventional switch cut outs.

Yep, just go with "Decora" style switches and the GFCI outlet and a three gang "Decora" switchplate. It will work and look nice too, well INHO. You could even have one of the switches lighted as a mini night light in the bathroom :)