402 Price?

HPower

Why are they pointed at the ceiling?

I just took them out of the box and sat the 402s on top of the Cornscals to get a perspective of how they will look.

This is the 1st time I have seen these horns in person... They are definitely "Man Size".

• Like 2

Uh oh.....  Houston.....we have another person compensating.....  :o

Actually, they look nice, even if they are being used in Atmos mode!

Are you going to be using them with your Cornscala bass bins?  Something other?  Are they mounted to their tray? 

Since you said you just took them out....  does this infer you've not yet actually heard them?

Boyyyyyyyyyy oh boy, are you in for a treat!

:emotion-21:   :emotion-19:   :emotion-21: 

Uh oh..... Houston.....we have another person compensating..... :o

Are you going to be using them with your Cornscala bass bins? Something other? Are they mounted to their tray?

Since you said you just took them out.... does this infer you've not yet actually heard them?

:emotion-21::emotion-19::emotion-21:

Down boy, down.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Uh oh.....  Houston.....we have another person compensating.....  :o

Are you going to be using them with your Cornscala bass bins?  Something other?  Are they mounted to their tray? 

Since you said you just took them out....  does this infer you've not yet actually heard them?

:emotion-21:   :emotion-19:   :emotion-21:

Now what the  :emotion-14: am I going to do...

I really don't know what I am going to do next, even with all the great intel earlier in this thread.

The Faital HF-200s that Jordan was selling are on the way to me so I should have decent CDs for the 402s.

I was going to start another thread asking to help me narrow down a plan.

As of right now my points of contention are:

I do want to "somehow" keep my new 2A3 Integrated amp in the mix, so I was thinking a passive network.

I have a call out to my amp builder to see if he thinks it would be a good idea to add a pre-out and a pre-in to my amp.

If he does not call "blasphemy" and thinks it would not hurt the great sound I am getting, I could then think about going

with an active Xover like a SP 2060, DX38, or the DC One that is list in the Garage sale right now.

Add another amp for the bass and voila!

I was thinking about temporarily using the Cornscals for bass.

My 1st choice would be to build a pair of Jub Bins but after talking to dtel a bit about his MWMs I am 

leaning to building a pair of singles… a much easier build than the Jubilees.

For those that have owned or heard both, how much is there to choose between the MWMs and Jubs for sonics?

The MWMs will take up a larger footprint as my mock up shows, but I think they could work in my 14.5ft room?

post-25727-0-26960000-1460244524_thumb.j

• Like 1

Well now.........someone else wants a tape monitor loop.

Ya, I wish Mark.

My 2A3 is as simple as they come to minimize the circuitry for the best sonic performance.

Just 3 inputs controlled by the DACT selector and the output is looked after by the Alps Blue Japan Vol Pot.

Hopefully Triode Lab is willing to retrofit something for me.

What is the distance between your MWM bins?

When I measured my mock up as per above pic, I would still have approx. 44-45in between with MWMs tucked into corners.

Edited by HPower

My comment about the tape loop was because I have discussed on and off with Craig over the last 2 years about putting a tape monitor loop on the NBS preamp.  It is the only way people with analog tube setups can easily begin to enjoy CD horns like the 510 and 402 and still keep all their same equipment and passive networks.  Of course Craig is a purist and it sort of goes against his constitution which he is always quite clear about.  But he also understands what advantge it brings.

If you ask him politely, he just might do it for you.   :)

• Moderators

There's about 4 ft, 6in. between them.  Just enough room for a pair of 684 subs.

We were visiting Kevin the last few days, he has Jubs with two 684 subs in his man cave. The subs were set perfectly, we turned them off and on as we listened to different things. Sounded great, he has it dialed in perfectly.

• Like 1

• Moderators
For those that have owned or heard both, how much is there to choose between the MWMs and Jubs for sonics?

It's been a long time since I heard both in the same room, but to me both sound great, you could not go wrong with either.

You may not get many answers on this because not many people have had or compared both.

The decision for me was not on sound but what I could afford, I would have been thrilled with either, and I am.  :)  

Listened to Jubes for the last few days and came home and listened to MWM's today with some of the same songs. Problem is it's different rooms, amps and two different active crossovers. Both made me smile in appreciation, to me they are much closer in sound than you would think. 

I know that's a BS answer but listening to both in the last two days I find it very hard to explain, sorry.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help dtel... :rolleyes:

I do agree, there probably is not a "wrong" choice.

Jordan's Faital HF-200s arrived yesterday.

These are very nice looking drivers, I hope they sound as good as they look.

I am still not sure if I will go active or passive, but I bid on a DX38 over on FeaBay this weekend and won it.

I spent more than a couple hours over the weekend looking at both dtel's MWM build and Jordan's Jub build, and I am still debating which way to go for my build.

I love the KISS aspect of building the MWMs and dtel's do look fantastic with the oak finish!

Jordan's Jubilees are simply a work of art and would definitely require a fair bit more work to build.

If I had a definitive set of plans for a Jub bin, I might consider giving them a go.

• Moderators
I am still not sure if I will go active or passive, but I bid on a DX38 over on FeaBay this weekend and won it.

Well I think that kind of narrows it down  :o  :D Well it makes it at least much easier for you to get great sound quickly since there are established numbers already to go in the DX for the mwm or Jube. I don't see why you couldn't just connect almost any amp behind the DX, the amps wouldn't have to match. 

You could always go passive later if you like, but I doubt you would want to. 

Good luck whatever you decide :emotion-21:   I can't wait for you to finely hear this :blink2:

In my mind I believe an active Xover is the way to go but my heart does not want to let my Integrated amp go.

Not that I am lazy (maybe a bit) but more that I am not technically up on building passive, or adjusting active crossovers.

I would like nothing better than just plugging in the tested and proven DX38 numbers and sitting back and enjoying without too much fiddling.