Spring Turkey Hunting

John Chi-town

I purchased some decoys, but that is about it.  My son wants to go, so I need to get him out to shoot first.  He had just shot a bow a couple weeks ago, which now he seems to love that.  It may be another year or two, when I am done with school.  But it definitely is one of our plans.

• Like 1

John ,

We pretty much lost all our places to hunt, I never went turkey hunting, way too much patience required, its like deer hunting sitting in a stand, i like driving deer, but most of those places are housing too. GF lives in Bull Valley, if she wasn't such a tree hugger, I could shot them off her deck

Mark

• Like 1

I get within 30 yards of them so often that it's not much of a challenge, they just walk around my yard, come up my driveway, tool around in my field, etc. A couple years ago I took two with a bow, and wasn't using a blind, just stalked them through tall grass. I'd rather just look at them to be honest. There's a big tom that has been gobbling his head off at night all week, he about screwed up Saturday night, some coyotes got after him. Going to try to get some good pictures with a zoom lens soon.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

John ,

We pretty much lost all our places to hunt, I never went turkey hunting, way too much patience required, its like deer hunting sitting in a stand, i like driving deer, but most of those places are housing too. GF lives in Bull Valley, if she wasn't such a tree hugger, I could shot them off her deck

Mark

Mark;

Small world, my hunting property as well as a friend of mines are both located in Bull Valley.

Best regards,

John

My brother in law has plenty of wild Turkeys out in Kansas. Mom and Dad have a small flock that comes through their 15 acres.

Took care of an Aumish guy a few years back in the hospital that has the largest free graze turkey farm in Ohio. The birds get absolutely no vitamins or antibiotics. He said the largest turkey he has produced was 53 pounds. I reserved a 30 pounder for Thanksgiving a few years back, and the hardest part was a pan large enough for the bird. My sister has a stainless industrial oven in her Kitchen, but you wouldn't be able to do a bird that size in a standard oven I would think :)

Roger

• Like 1

Too right.  The general "chef" wisdom is to go with multiple smaller turkeys when needing a lot of pounds of product.  Two 14 pounders are better than one 28 pounder, for example.  The reasoning is it becomes way more difficult to cook a very large bird correctly (evenly without drying out some parts).  Not only that, but you get more wings, drumsticks and thighs and breasts.  MMMMMM, thighs.....and breasts.....

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 2

I've killed several of these too.

wild_turkey_sterling_01.jpg

New a girl when I was growing up, her name was Shari Davis. Her Grandparents and my maternal Grandparents were next door neighbors in Ohio for 26 years, then in 1961, her grandparents built the first house built on the Southern most tip of Estero Island, which is Ft. Meyers beach, Florida, and my Grandparents lived with them while their house, the second house built on the southern most tip was built. Grew up going 3 weeks every Christmas with my first cousin, Shari, and her brother Neil Davis. Don't know what her home life story was about, but that girl was as skinny as a rail and could put away a fifth of 101 and not act drunk when she was 15. She got married and is a Jehovas Witness now????

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

It's sad knowing some of my favorite hunting properties have been "gobbled" up by the developers too.  As far as the turkeys, spring time in the woods is hard to beat.  Turkeys are quite thick in my area almost like pigeons in the city.  Just today, I had to wait for 30 to cross the road so I could get to the store.   

They raid the bird feeders around here and are really a nuisance as city dwellers.  

The deer are so bad (within the city limits here) that the DNR is now investigating a local thought to be responsible for 18 found dead due to being shot with a "small caliber" firearm.  What a slow miserable death -  :angry2:

On a positive note, our stream trout season opens on the last Saturday in April !

It's sad knowing some of my favorite hunting properties have been "gobbled" up by the developers too.  As far as the turkeys, spring time in the woods is hard to beat.  Turkeys are quite thick in my area almost like pigeons in the city.  Just today, I had to wait for 30 to cross the road so I could get to the store.   

They raid the bird feeders around here and are really a nuisance as city dwellers.  

The deer are so bad (within the city limits here) that the DNR is now investigating a local thought to be responsible for 18 found dead due to being shot with a "small caliber" firearm.  What a slow miserable death -  :angry2:

On a positive note, our stream trout season opens on the last Saturday in April !

That's nothing, locally here, they found 68 deer a few years back with nothing but the back straps and antlers taken!

Good luck with the turkey hunting.  I won't likely get in a turkey hunt this spring.  Did well this deer season though.  Between myself and my 15 year old son, we put four deer and a hog in the freezer.  Had a ham from the hog for Easter dinner - you cannot buy a ham that tasty at the supermarket!

• Like 2

Good luck with the turkey hunting.  I won't likely get in a turkey hunt this spring.  Did well this deer season though.  Between myself and my 15 year old son, we put four deer and a hog in the freezer.  Had a ham from the hog for Easter dinner - you cannot buy a ham that tasty at the supermarket!

Planning on taking a few toys to Rodneys with me. I had asked him about shooting some hogs and coyotes.

hopefully on Wednesday night or Thursday maybe?

Roger

• Like 1

as long as it wasn't a boar that is!

Roger

as long as it wasn't a boar that is!

Roger

Nope.  A young sow, probably around 80 lbs.  Perfect for the table!

• Like 1

Planning on taking a few toys to Rodneys with me. I had asked him about shooting some hogs and coyotes.

hopefully on Wednesday night or Thursday maybe?

Roger

Now that sounds like fun.

• Like 1