Question regarding new forum signature policy

I agree with the point that Jason str made. I would think that the few complaints that need to be made should be on the open forum, where all can see. 

Bitching to someone behind someone else's back instead of talking to them directly is about the most chicken s**** way you can go about things.  It happens more than you know by people whom you'd least expect.  Peoples forum persona is many times different than their actual one.

And then the forum bends over backwards and goes above and beyond to make the whiners happy and in the process uproots those with the most passion who spend the most time dedicating their livelihood to improve the one thing most of us strive for, what makes out ears happy.

But who am i to say who is right and wrong, i just post here.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've not been on here for a few weeks and seem to have missed some wild happenings! In anticipation of an extremely busy amp restoration and build season starting in the fall, I'm in the process of moving the shop to more spacious quarters (and, no, I'm not in business). So, if I understand the gist of this topic, forum participants who are in business can no longer put their commercial URL in the signature line of their posts or try to induce forum members to purchase their products (and it's common knowledge that commercial forum participants have often, very sneakily in my opinion, slipped in pricing of their products as well as cost of options, and so on). I think that's a terrific idea! Why should Klipsch support free advertising for commercial vendors even if their products are compatible with Klipsch speakers? I remember when Ken, owner of Analog Engineering Associates, was run off of the forum by those who accused him of trolling for business (and one of the guys who was very outspoken is the owner of a competing business). And, that was in spite of his making some very valuable contributions to the new tubes section. So, why is everyone so upset and trying to find loopholes to get around this policy change? Maybe I'm getting too old to know what's really going on here, so can someone explain it to me?

Maynard

Because some people just can't follow the rules.

So why are those people allowed to hang around? If you can't read/understand the rules before you post or after you've been warned, then they should be given a long timeout. If it happens again, delete/block their account and all their posts.

And if you look at most of these posts and locked threads, it's almost always the same group of 5-10 people who like to "stir the pot" or post a "before it's locked" comment... Just send them on their way (permanently).

We've already had this discussion several times, and the powers that be have decided there is nothing of the sort like this happening. The problem is that the people who have stated it more than a few times have been excommunicated from here, and not the ones who've made the snide remarks before the thread was locked.

This is one of the reasons I have pulled back myself on posting or commenting. My opinion is that if someone posts a link or website and it doesn't knock anyone else or their competition it should be allowed,especially if they are helping the overall forum. But when it attacks someone or their business it should be squashed and that person banned. But that doesn't happen as the same people who attack are still here,while the others have left,either of their own accord or by "management".

I also agree the few complainers are the ones that have things taken away from the forum, I say they should have the balls to put it out there for all to see. If not they should either shut the F-up, or leave the forum. You don't like a post or website, move on to the next post. You don't like a person's signature or quote,don't read it again after the first read. You don't like a person's name or avatar, don't focus on it.

For a bunch of adults on here we all act like high school kids when we don't get our way.

I don't agree with how some people on here do things, and I know there are people who don't agree with me, but it's their right to be the way they are. I just choose to ignore their posts or comments,or scroll past them when reading a thread.It's that simple.I don't send emails to mods or corporate or threaten taking legal action with corporate. I just move on or stay off the forum for awhile.

You would be surprised at the number of members that have been warned, suspended, impose a self time out or get banned. NO ONE has ever been "ex communicated for stating their opinions", to the best of my knowledge. Bans are only imposed after a member has been warned repeatedly about violating the TOS or in a couple of cases, cursing out a moderator when they are warned.

If you have specific cases you are referring to I would appreciate a PM. Their ex communication" was never discussed with me, which means we have a rogue moderator who is not discussing his/her actions with the moderating team.

• Moderators

I agree with the point that Jason str made. I would think that the few complaints that need to be made should be on the open forum, where all can see.

Bitching to someone behind someone else's back instead of talking to them directly is about the most chicken s**** way you can go about things.  It happens more than you know by people whom you'd least expect.  Peoples forum persona is many times different than their actual one.

And then the forum bends over backwards and goes above and beyond to make the whiners happy and in the process uproots those with the most passion who spend the most time dedicating their livelihood to improve the one thing most of us strive for, what makes out ears happy.

But who am i to say who is right and wrong, i just post here.

TOS are pretty clear, no advertising. All indications are the previous administrator allowed it and did not enforce the rule. Chad has chosen to enforce it.

Blame the one complaining, not the ones enforcing the rules fairly.

Looking at this fresh this morning, I see I did sound like I may have thought this was like maybe caused by me.

No, that's not what I felt, 

What I meant was, I just thought I would never be a serious biz, just some occasional stuff, and just felt offended that even a small time guy couldn't put up a link.

Nevertheless, it's ok now that I understand I can still communicate availability in other ways.

On a seperate idea - It would sure make sense to me, that we could have a list somewhere like where forum members could have a limited two or three lines where they list their skills, specific interests,  or whatever they want including business.

For example - I recently (by accidently stumbling onto it) learned recently we have a prominent member actively building trailers.

Point is, if I needed one I would highly consider him, but ONLY because I now know he does this.

There is I recall another Audio related board that does have this - 2 lists- one, regular members, two - members paying to list in list.

Also, always thought a good list to have would be, organized by State, and then City,where members are. At their option, of course.

Would be helpful  for like Pony expresses, like the Chicago get togethers, etc.

Just my thoughts.   Lars

• Like 1

• Moderators

Looking at this fresh this morning, I see I did sound like I may have thought this was like maybe caused by me.

No, that's not what I felt, 

What I meant was, I just thought I would never be a serious biz, just some occasional stuff, and just felt offended that even a small time guy couldn't put up a link.

Nevertheless, it's ok now that I understand I can still communicate availability in other ways.

On a seperate idea - It would sure make sense to me, that we could have a list somewhere like where forum members could have a limited two or three lines where they list their skills, specific interests,  or whatever they want including business.

For example - I recently (by accidently stumbling onto it) learned recently we have a prominent member actively building trailers.

Point is, if I needed one I would highly consider him, but ONLY because I now know he does this.

There is I recall another Audio related board that does have this - 2 lists- one, regular members, two - members paying to list in list.

Also, always thought a good list to have would be, organized by State, and then City,where members are. At their option, of course.

Would be helpful  for like Pony expresses, like the Chicago get togethers, etc.

Just my thoughts.   Lars

Now these are great ideas! Something we can definitely look into. May take some time to address and possibly implement, but definitely worth taking into consideration.

On a seperate idea - It would sure make sense to me, that we could have a list somewhere like where forum members could have a limited two or three lines where they list their skills, specific interests, or whatever they want including business.

That would be on your profile page.

• Moderators

On a seperate idea - It would sure make sense to me, that we could have a list somewhere like where forum members could have a limited two or three lines where they list their skills, specific interests, or whatever they want including business.

That would be on your profile page.

I think he means an all inclusive list. Like maybe a locked pinned post that only moderators could edit to add or delete vendors.

I'm aware it can be on profile page.

That means you have to read like 3k or whatever # it is profiles to get the info. 

dtelswife "I think he means an all inclusive list. Like maybe a locked pinned post that only moderators could edit to add or delete vendors."

Ya, something like that.

Again, I really think the members list by State could be very helpful, I dunno, spirit of Community give and take.   Lars

• Like 2

• Administrators

I'm aware it can be on profile page.   That means you have to read like 3k or whatever # it is profiles to get the info.

For what it's worth, the forum's search function lets you search among members, and it looks at profile fields.  

For example, say I wanted to find members that have this AVR: denon avr-x4100w

I select Members in the search field, enter "denon avr-x4100w" and I see any member that has that in their profile.

• Like 1

A) I did not know you were allowed to complainB.) I did not know anyone would read them or care if I did send a complaintC) I have a lot of catching up to do, I've been here just over a year and have not complained yet.D) How many do we get?E) You moderators have to get tired of this cr*p!F) Can I say cr*p here?

Yes, we do get tired of the complaining crap. It's a select few that make it ridiculous. Can't understand why they stay here if it's so bad they have to whine and complain. I guess their momma never taught them if they don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Life's too short.

:D

• Moderators

A) I did not know you were allowed to complainB.) I did not know anyone would read them or care if I did send a complaintC) I have a lot of catching up to do, I've been here just over a year and have not complained yet.D) How many do we get?E) You moderators have to get tired of this cr*p!F) Can I say cr*p here?

Yes, we do get tired of the complaining crap. It's a select few that make it ridiculous. Can't understand why they stay here if it's so bad they have to whine and complain. I guess their momma never taught them if they don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Life's too short.

Thank you Craig! I saw your comment and thought, "oh my, do I even want to see what he wrote!" ;) Edited by dtel's wife

I'm aware it can be on profile page.   That means you have to read like 3k or whatever # it is profiles to get the info.

For what it's worth, the forum's search function lets you search among members, and it looks at profile fields.  

For example, say I wanted to find members that have this AVR: denon avr-x4100w

I select Members in the search field, enter "denon avr-x4100w" and I see any member that has that in their profile.

Thank you, aware of that.  Lars

• Like 1

But ------     most, by far, members do not list Location, nor their specific interests/ areas of knowledge/ expertise, or business

We are ALL  very rich in our personal experience, should be able show that at our discretion , if we wish to others.          Lars

If you have a problem PM a moderator, PM Chad, but before you jump over our heads to Chad's boss or higher, give us a reasonable amount of time to address the issues. We can't always correct something within 24-48 hours, sometimes it takes longer to fix a problem, to make sure that it's really fixed. If you don't like it here, please move on. If you have a issue with a member PM them, get on the phone, talk it out and be an adult. You may be really surprised how much of a difference talking to them and not at them will make.

The members of the moderating team go out of our way, sometimes spending needless and countless hours to calm petty conflicts and resolve insignificant complaints.

• Moderators

If you have a problem PM a moderator, PM Chad, but before you jump over our heads to Chad's boss or higher, give us a reasonable amount of time to address the issues. We can't always correct something within 24-48 hours, sometimes it takes longer to fix a problem, to make sure that it's really fixed. If you don't like it here, please move on. If you have a issue with a member PM them, get on the phone, talk it out and be an adult. You may be really surprised how much of a difference talking to them and not at them will make.The members of the moderating team go out of our way, sometimes spending needless and countless hours to calm petty conflicts and resolve insignificant complaints.

That was great!

Thank you Craig! I saw your comment and thought, "oh my, do I even want to see what he wrote!" ;)

You"ll get no guff from me. IMHO It's all much to do about nothing. Not like I was getting a thousand hits a day off that little banner in my signature. I think about 90% of the people around here know what I do and where my website is. If this made some petty SOB happy then good for him/her...

• Like 2

Like, it would take me hundreds of hours of searching to learn WHO builds amps here.

And, it would still be fuzzy.

OR. I could just post "Hey, Please direct me to Amp builders here on the board" of course, but looking at a list would be great, no need then to put up a "junkish" post.

Again, just my way of thinking.    Lars

• Like 1