Ten uses for your body after you die

blindman

Ten charitable uses for your body after you are finished with it.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Other than cremating or burying your entire body after you die - which of these alternative options would you consider?

• Donate your organs
    • Donate your tissue
    • Will your body to a university
    • Help doctors practice their skills
    • Leave your body to "the body farm"
    • Become a crash test cadaver
    • Give your body to a broker
    • Send your body on tour
    • Become a skeleton
    • Be on display at a museum

Re: Donation of your carcass to a medical school

Cadaver's are most often assigned to medical students in either the 2nd semester of year 1 or 1st semester of year 2.

The current supply is in excess of the demand at most med schools, as such they are not accepting new 'donations'.

TIP: Die of something rarely seen and less obvious than old age or cancer and you too could be the exception that proves the rule.  ;)

Unless you have worked in an morgue or mortuary when taking the tour of medical schools with a cadavor room you may want to excuse yourself to visit their wash room facility.  :)

Edited by Wolfbane

• Moderators

I would love to see one of those transplant surgeons use a derogatory term such as organ donors used in presence of a biker just to see how many teeth they walk away with.

Wouldn't they be brain dead when the surgeon says that in front of them as she removes their corneas, kidneys, heart, liver and lungs?

I would love to see one of those transplant surgeons use a derogatory term such as organ donors used in presence of a biker just to see how many teeth they walk away with.

Wouldn't they be brain dead when the surgeon says that in front of them as she removes their corneas, kidneys, heart, liver and lungs?

They would not have the balls to do it any other way.

• Moderators

You really can't see that difference? I think that was joking about the death of a real person.

Here I think the discussion is about risk acceptance of a GROUP vs. the death of an individual. It is more analogous to talking about golfing in a lightning storm, smokers, test pilots, etc.

• Moderators

They would not have the balls to do it any other way.

Especially if they are female.

Anybody who jokes about another persons death has probably never really had a near death experience or just demented in some way in my opinion.

Helmet laws are stupid, if anybody wants to ride without helmets it should be their choice and not one made for them.

No helmet laws here but i choose to wear one personally.

The USA is becoming a over protective nanny place.

• Moderators

There looks to be a double standard around here for some reason.

Saw somebody jab a bit on the RIP Prince thread and get the third degree, seems fine here unfortunately.

Motorcycles are dangerous but mostly because drivers do not pay attention to them, then there is others who go out of their way to cause harm.

Lighten up is easy to say but if you lost a loved one due to cancer or something in no way would i come into a thread and say something like served him right for smoking or liver damage death from drinking.

Sorry to derail the thread but felt something should be said.

My thoughts on the subject anyways.

No double standards. It's just not humanly possible for a moderator to read every single post in every single thread.

Familiarize yourself with our TOS. if you need the definition of "abusive" or any other wording in the TOS ask a moderator we will explain it.

If you have a problem with the direction a thread is going there's a "Report" button, use it to alert us of an issue. If you don't use the "Report" button it's impossible for us to know there's a problem.

If you don't use the "Report" button please don't complain of "double standards", it's unfair to us moderators that work hard to treat everyone fairly.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Just a reminder:

This is clearly stated in the TOS. Try to follow this and it just might eliminate a lot of animosity.

Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.

• Moderators

Anybody who jokes about another persons death has probably never really had a near death experience or just demented in some way in my opinion.

Helmet laws are stupid, if anybody wants to ride without helmets it should be their choice and not one made for them.

So I was looking to see if there were studies about helmet laws and organ donors, and sure enough there is a correlation.

http://econpapers.repec.org/article/ucpjlawec/doi_3a10.1086_2f661256.htm

"Abstract: Traffic safety mandates are typically designed to reduce the harmful externalities of risky behaviors. We consider whether motorcycle helmet laws also reduce a beneficial externality by decreasing the supply of viable organ donors. Our central estimates show that organ donations resulting from fatal motor vehicle accidents increase by 10 percent when states repeal helmet laws. Two features of this association suggest that it is causal: first, nearly all of it is concentrated among men, who account for over 90 percent of all motorcyclist deaths, and second, helmet laws are unrelated to the supply of donors who die in circumstances other than motor vehicle accidents. The estimates imply that every death of a helmetless motorcyclist prevents or delays as many as .33 death among individuals on organ transplant waiting lists."

I agree with you, it should be a choice, but law should be if you die without helmet you automatically agree to organ donation unless you specifically opt out.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I never thought it was a personal attack, just improper etiquette and stated my views.

Thank you Christy.

It's called being courteous. My philosophy is if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The ugly remarks just cause hurt feelings and there's no reason for it. You never know what someone else is going through.

• Like 1

So I was looking to see if there were studies about helmet laws and organ donors, and sure enough there is a correlation.

http://econpapers.repec.org/article/ucpjlawec/doi_3a10.1086_2f661256.htm

"Abstract: Traffic safety mandates are typically designed to reduce the harmful externalities of risky behaviors. We consider whether motorcycle helmet laws also reduce a beneficial externality by decreasing the supply of viable organ donors. Our central estimates show that organ donations resulting from fatal motor vehicle accidents increase by 10 percent when states repeal helmet laws. Two features of this association suggest that it is causal: first, nearly all of it is concentrated among men, who account for over 90 percent of all motorcyclist deaths, and second, helmet laws are unrelated to the supply of donors who die in circumstances other than motor vehicle accidents. The estimates imply that every death of a helmetless motorcyclist prevents or delays as many as .33 death among individuals on organ transplant waiting lists."

I agree with you, it should be a choice, but law should be if you die without helmet you automatically agree to organ donation unless you specifically opt out.

I disagree, if you want to be an organ donor it should be a personal choice, not one decided by a lawmaker.

• Like 2

And your thoughts on seat belt laws? 

• Like 1