Ten uses for your body after you die

blindman

Ten charitable uses for your body after you are finished with it.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Other than cremating or burying your entire body after you die - which of these alternative options would you consider?

• Donate your organs
    • Donate your tissue
    • Will your body to a university
    • Help doctors practice their skills
    • Leave your body to "the body farm"
    • Become a crash test cadaver
    • Give your body to a broker
    • Send your body on tour
    • Become a skeleton
    • Be on display at a museum

Not sure what the protocol is for transplants from older donors. I suspect it varies by organs and individuals.

My late brother-in-law would have welcomed a liver from an older donor. His was shot following 2 tours of Agent Orange exposure in USMC and a life of hard drinking.

There are a plethora of criteria that determine what and when to transplant. I only hope that no opportunity to save a life is lost.

I read recently that bone marrow donors are preferred to be 40 or less.

Transplant surgeons refer to motorcyclists, especially those without helmets, as organ donors.

Edited by DizRotus

"He lived for better or worse, but now he's gone for good."  The motto of the organ donor..................  or the donor-cycle rider (same difference).

Not even remotely cute and very offensive.

I understand some may feel offended.  Unfortunately, there is truth behind the morbid humor.  

Statistics:   

Surely, somewhere there is a tasteless joke about donor-texters as well.

• Like 1

I'm wrapping my head around the idea of "organ donor" as a derogatory comment.  Isn't that a really good thing?  I guess it isn't if you are reducing the person to a collection of spare parts.  

That said, I hope that biker or loved one wasn't depending on that surgeon.  I don't have to like the doctor... they just need to have and use their skill.

Edited by muel
  • Like 1

I'm wrapping my head around the idea of "organ donor" as a derogatory comment.  Isn't that a really good thing?  

Being an organ donor is a choice and can save or better others lives.

Calling somebody who chooses to ride a motorcycle an organ donor is a derogatory comment.

I guess it isn't if you are reducing the person to a collection of spare parts.  

Very morbid way of thinking.

That said, I hope that biker or loved one wasn't depending on that surgeon.  I don't have to like the doctor... they just need to have and use their skill.

As long as they do their job correctly there should be no problems.

I have lost friends and many others have been maimed, not a good thing.

Personally i have been intentionally ran over, cut off and swerved at just to name a few, it is no joke.

Some careless riders may be driving on borrowed time but most just enjoy riding and follow the rules.

Drivers who intentionally aim to kill should have the book thrown at them.

Jason, I don't think any disrespect was intended anywhere in this thread, just implication of the fact that Motorcycle riders are more exposed to hazard than drivers in enclosed, hence relatively armored vehicles   Lars

Sounded like trolling to me.

Arguing about wires and amplifiers is one thing, making light of death by motorcycle is just beyond sad.

I get so tired of seeing people driving in their cars with their head down looking at their phone.  It is really a stupid thing to do!

It is an accident waiting to happen.

I admit that I'm conflicted about motorcycles... they are an absolute blast but I've seen what can happen and was raised on stories from the emergency room. 

Riding a motorcycle on the streets has become a scary endeavor.

That's why I started racing a motorcycle on a paved track :D

Same here. Crashed a couple of times, won a few races. Much safer on the track packing the back wheel twards the turns than to ride sensible on the street. Why, because of cars.

Death rate of motorcycle accidents would go down if we remove cars....ban cars.

• Like 2

Same here. Crashed a couple of times, won a few races. Much safer on the track packing the back wheel twards the turns than to ride sensible on the street. Why, because of cars.

Not if the motorcycle was actually driven any distance per day on a Canadian Road in January.

Anyway, I do feel the ONLY, ONLY  purpose of a Funeral is for the survivors.

In my faith, and further, the way I see it , my body holds NOTHING, ( I mean unless you want parts, or parts of parts, that's fine) nothing of value  after I "pass" .

And Ya, part of this is affected by my disdain for many ( not all I'm sure) of folks in the Funeral business being very preying and opportunistic.

Think about it --- What an awesome stage is set, when a Loved one Passes, to have a LAST chance (Very loaded idea) to show them "Respect" for the Last time.

Leeches.

Now, in many folk's cases, regardless of Faith,I think it's the best choice for the Family culture

For example, My Missus  has like 9 siblings, and  a HUGE extended family. Hispanic, Catholic.(Now "Saved", the way we see it ). 

Even though I know She does not need it for herself, it would be expected by all survivors.

Myself, on the other hand, being a first generation only child of Ukrainian immigrants, myself then, only having two children neither of which have had children, so they are my ONLY blood relatives in US, AND living across the Country.

Even though my Parents are buried in MN, there is no spare plot available adjacent to them, and I live in TX, and how it is with no $ to pop.

I am too chubby, have a few other probs, so donor possibilitys are at least mostly out.

So I figure, let me help "Agent Starling" and her co workers  learn from me in a  Body Farm (about 8 of them in the US)  is best.  Lars

I like your idea!

• Like 1

Jason, again, I really don't think anyone meant disrespect AT ALL, only considering statistics.

O, and kinda funny (?stupid?) , I rode a 250 Honda Elsinore like the Wind  in MPLS year round, (Well, certainly not every day), but year round in MPLS. 

Very causiously though, "knowing" my route,

When I was Young and Invincible.

Lars

What will happen to motorcycles if Google's autonomous cars become the norm?  I doubt an autonomous motorcycle is a realistic, or desirable, option. From what I know about autonomous cars, motorcyclists would  be safer surrounded by "Google cars," at least they would observe the motorcycle and not turn left, or pull out, directly in front of an oncoming motorcycle.

FWIW

I never meant any disrespect to motorcyclists.  The reality is that riding a motorcycle in traffic is a statistically dangerous activity.  The relatively young victims of motorcycle accidents are disproportionately represented among the population of organ donors.  It is better that some good come out of tragedy.  No one is suggesting that motorcycle accidents are encouraged or welcomed to provide organ donors.  Nonetheless, as long as individuals choose to ride motorcycles in traffic, there will be deaths.

If we succeed in reducing traffic deaths, which is a good thing,  whether car or motorcycle, we reduce the number of organ donors.  That is a fact.  It is not meant to offend anyone.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Not if the motorcycle was actually driven any distance per day on a Canadian Road in January.

Sorry, I didn't put a smiley with my statement. I am typing with my fat thumbs and don't see where they hid them. :-)

And the right tires and driving according to conditions, it would still be less. Recking is not mandatory.

I would love to see one of those transplant surgeons use a derogatory term such as organ donors used in presence of a biker just to see how many teeth they walk away with.

Hey, lighten up........  it is not like I personally derived the axiom.  The perils associated with motorcycles are well understood not only in healthcare but among bikers as well.   Funny?  Nope.  Tragic is more like it.  Anyway - grow some thicker skin and do not take things so personal.  Life's too short to become angered over weensy things.

I've been riding a motorcycle on the street my entire life. I average about 5-8k miles per year. I know quite a few people that ride 50k miles a year. The average biker gowns down every 4k miles, I don't let that sway my decision to ride though.

I was in 2 accidents, one in 1984, another in 1986. There were two totaled bikes, and 3 totaled cars. I did suffer a knee injury in the first crash. I remember the doctor saying he could show me some photos that would convince me to never ride again. I told him to get those photos, but I doubt it would sway my decision to ride, he never produced the pics. I was 21 at the time.

Every time I ride now, I always ride away from the city. I always ride the curvy and hilly country roads. I always wear all my gear, full face helmet, boots, gloves, and leather jacket. There's an acronym about some bikers and gear…ATGATT (all the gear all the time) Even if it's 100 degrees out, I'm ALWAYS ATGATT. I'm amazed how many people ride in shorts and a t shirt. What amazes me even more is the group of certain bikers that even scoff at me for gearing up.

The joy I get when riding overweighs the fear of crashing.

• Like 2

When we wrote up our will, I donated my body to a university. When I was in paramedic school I learned on cadavers and it was invaluable. I'm grateful for their "gift" and hope to pass it on to others.

Side note, my time as a paramedic "cured" me of the desire to ride a motorcycle. Nothing against riders, it's often not their fault, but the simple physics are all wrong for riders in almost all collisions. Even if they simply have to lay it down. I used to love to ride, but the firsthand witness of the trauma took that desire away. More power to motorcycle riders - car drivers keep your heads up!

• Like 2

There looks to be a double standard around here for some reason.

Saw somebody jab a bit on the RIP Prince thread and get the third degree, seems fine here unfortunately.

Motorcycles are dangerous but mostly because drivers do not pay attention to them, then there is others who go out of their way to cause harm.

Lighten up is easy to say but if you lost a loved one due to cancer or something in no way would i come into a thread and say something like served him right for smoking or liver damage death from drinking.

Sorry to derail the thread but felt something should be said.

My thoughts on the subject anyways.

• Like 1