Very 5 yr old question

I'd agree that's not the best way to do it, and I'm not sure how it'd interact with the amp. I'm trying to look at it from two ways:

1. A headphone jack is amplified to a certain degree, but I'm not sure how different it is from standard pre-outs. When you use pre-outs, they're going to an amplifier, something with power - whereas headphones are totally reliant on the receiver.
  2. Since headphones essentially are dependent on the pre-amplifier section of a unit, I can't see how they'd be THAT different from the pre-outs.

That being said, it might be the best of your options, albeit a poor one.

"poor option" only because so far we don't definitely know how headphone signal level compares to typical Preamp RCA outs.

Isn't it just a question of-   IF the headphone out level is suitable to feed the amp, how is it different than going RCA out ??

Some SQ reduction or loss I'm not aware of ?

Lars

Accessory jacks are normally for things like graphic equalizers

1.  Welcome back Dean

2.  What he said

My old Yamaha CR-2040 had if I recall, a circuit they called 'Adapter'.  Might have been accessory....but it's been a long time.

That was where the EQ & dbx & those goodies went.  It was a signal that wasn't controlled by the volume control. 

"Some SQ reduction or loss I'm not aware of ?"

The headphone jack is the attenuated signal from the power amp (speaker) output.

It is the proper level for driving a pro amplifier, I use a Sansui DB9090 in my shop to test out power amps after I repair them, it sounds quite good (although a real pre-out could be better).

The fantastic sounding Yamaha A1 integrated amplifier (circa 1980) had it's pre-out connected this way (no power amp inputs).

Most of the newer Yamaha home theater receivers with pre-out are also built this way.

Ok. so I'm reading all I need is a 1/4" stereo plug to 2 RCA y splitter, plug and play, and my Yamaha R8 will act as a properly performing preamp to feed a Crown amp.

Any other problem here to be aware of?

I'm sure it may not compare to some 2K$ pre, but we will not be going there. 

Just substantiate me a bit more this will be ok please.   Again, thank all,  Lars

Based on the comments I've read to this point Karson, it sounds like you are playing with fire.  That receiver just wasn't designed to do what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure what audio improvement you hope to gain by using the separate amp with the Yammie via headphone out, and it sounds like you have a lot to lose.

I'm also thinking there is a difference between Line Out and Headphone out.  Line Out is a constant, and I think Headphone Out changes depending on the manufacturer.  I think they have that more standardized now than they did when receivers ruled the audio world.

My final vote would be for you to use the receiver the way it was designed, and if you want to use the amp, find a separate pre-amp.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Based on the comments I've read to this point Karson, it sounds like you are playing with fire.  That receiver just wasn't designed to do what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure what audio improvement you hope to gain by using the separate amp with the Yammie, and it sounds like you have a lot to lose.

My final vote would be for you to use the receiver the way it was designed, and if you want to use the amp, find a separate pre-amp.

Thank you genuinely for your thoughts.

I respect your posts.You know I mean that.

The goal is to "budgetly"upgrade my amp (Power wise) without having to buy yet another component, a Pre

So far it seems to be a valid method to use the headphone out to feed the (looking to yet purchase) amp. 

Specifically, the Crown K2 currently offered here.

WVU - I think this is just a situation of thinking very slightly "out of the box"

"Slightly", not very far.

The headphone jack is the attenuated signal from the power amp (speaker) output.   It is the proper level for driving a pro amplifier, I use a Sansui DB9090 in my shop to test out power amps after I repair them, it sounds quite good (although a real pre-out could be better).

That's what I'm thinking now, just asking for more concrete agreement, or non.   Lars

• Like 1

I'm just feeling - I had a very poorly chosen  original topic title---I'm going to abandon this thread and relist as a new thread --- "?? Feed  Amp from headphone jack of Receiver"??? in the "2 channel Home Audio" forum. 

Please follow if you can help.   Lars

• Like 1

Please refer to your owner's manual. Accessory jacks are normally for things like graphic equalizers - not amplifiers. Those jacks are labeled "pre-out".

Consumer and commercial gear does not play well together. This relates to gain structure.

In some cases you may be right.  But my pro gear has a great relationship with my consumer stuff.