Khorn info

dtr20

f6f08af1cc03fd38e451e5a02c7a6379.jpg7816bf81917c30ed98f705fcc97c6979.jpg0b40f37088a836256e99f20b0107cc91.jpgb71b6dc07cdc3f81d38839125fca2ef4.jpg

Can someone offer any info on these? I believe they were made in 1988 and I think they are cherry finish. That's all I know. They are asking $1250 for the pair. They are like 4-5 hours from me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It looks like a safe buy at a good price. They appear to be unmolested, but it is hard to see the cosmetic condition. After a few decades of use they probably have some stains, chips, gouges etc. Check and listen to see if all the drivers work, even if they don't, parts are available.

FYI, in case you do not know already each side weighs close to 175 lbs. However the grills and tops are easily removable. The pieces are usually secured with wing nuts, but bring a wrench and screwdrivers just in case. Definitely remove the grills and do not subject them to much stress or strain since they will tear or   for the top section. Bring plenty of blankets for their ride home. Take a photo and mark the wires so you get them re-assembled correctly.

They need to go into corners. If you do not have two good corners in your room then search the threads for "false corners". Also search the threads for "pipe foam". 

You should be all set. Once you get them, and I hope you do, there will be an avalanche of suggestions about upgrading etc. Please take your time and just listen, listen and listen. Plenty of time for that other stuff later. Unless something is broken, they should should sound amazing in their original state.

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 3

That would really be a pretty good deal! An air compressor would get all the dust out of the top sections (around the crossovers, etc.). People may laugh, but I have also used an electric leaf blower for the same purpose (works great on computers filled with dust and dirt).

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Agree with all ^^^.  Great price, long but doable one-day drive.  This is an act-now, don't think about it situation or the opportunity will be lost.  Go for it. 

PM sent.

Edited by wvu80

How does one transport khorns? I have a Toyota tundra. I'm assuming they are better of standing up and not laying down. Is this correct? I'm still thinking about it, the wife isn't crazy about this idea.

How does one transport khorns? I have a Toyota tundra. I'm assuming they are better of standing up and not laying down. Is this correct? I'm still thinking about it, the wife isn't crazy about this idea.

Go rent an enclosed 5x8 Uhaul for $19.  The Khorns will stand upright towards the front of the trailer.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/AV/

Rent some Uhaul blankets.  They are large, clean, very thick and you will need two.  Use some clear packing tape to wrap around the blankets to keep them in place.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad

Get some tie downs or thin 1" nylon straps (the small flat kind.  They will feed in the built-in Uhaul trailer slots.

That's a $30 investment to protect those $2000 speakers.

It will take two people to move them, but it is doable.  Having a small mover's dolly ($20 from Uhaul or Harbor Freight)  will help).  You only need one.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

You can remove the top sections that hold the crossover/mid and tweeter, wrap them in blankets and make them secure. The bass bins can be placed front to front, with padding in between (use straps to hold together) and secure in the truck standing up. Place them up by the cab. Obviously you would want to have a tarp/s to make sure they stay dry.

Is your wife not sure because of the long drive, or the cost? I live in Georgia and picked up my LaScalas in northern Illinois. People have driven much greater distances for lesser quality speakers.

Bruce

• Like 1

My $.02..... GO GET THEM  They are easily transportable in a Tundra. Protect them from rain (DUH). Like Bruce said the tophats and side grills of bass bin are easily removable.

I have walnut but man o man a cherry pair, Awsome!

I waited too long, they sold. Perhaps it was a forum member that bought them. I honestly don't know if I was ready for khorns myself. My belles are big/great enough for now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk