Check out the trim on these LaScalas

Fabric on the sides, an overhanging top and trim around the edges. To me this would be a nice way to refurbish a set of LS that had some serious damage. Thoughts?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

PS: These are for sale, but are not mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-KLIPSCH-LA-SCALA-SPEAKERS/371669955359?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D2d008bb384764763b796940338ef8edd%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D17%26sd%3D152118335782

• Like 2

I personally don't like the full grill, and it just makes a LaScala look like a fat Cornwall. I think the doghouse makes for a more visually appealing cabinet  (either plain or with Belle style grill).

Bruce

• Like 1

I don't know if I like the fabric sides, but the photos do show some possible options and give ideas for very damaged cabs, with some "living room WAF " ideas, rather than Duratex.

New slab on top, edges could be routed and/ or molding added, overlay of 3/4 wide solid stock on front edges,  and whatever on sides.

Maybe just laminate on another layer of nice veneer ply, resulting in also "bracing" somewhat.

Possibly way easier than re veneer.(corner issues), and can be very classy "mid century"or older like maybe Wharfedaley looking.

Pretty simple stuff, just requires creative thinking, and still the dreaded doghouse work. 

Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie

I personally like the look of these Lascalas from the front with the trim and the overhung top. The material on the sides would be better looking as the same black as the front perhaps with an extra sheet on 1/2" BB. The only concern with that is it may make the sides look abnormally wide with the added plywood on top of the trip width increase. The tweeter looks partially obstructed, so a smaller trim piece would be more practical. The dark wood seems to compliment the black speaker inside.

In all, I think this would take a rough pair of black La Scalas and make them more "living room friendly" than Bondo and Duratex.

Edited by mustang guy