AA networks...

Schu

Thanks for the ELI5 Roy. It made sense to me and I have leaned something new! 

I haven't fired my boat up this summer. I keep looking at it and looking at the damn yardwork and the damn yardwork wins every time. I did some fly fishing in the spring, but that was in the crik.

24 minutes ago, wdecho said:

Dean I meant no disrespect but anyone with any technical knowledge understands basic electronic principles. Some resistance after the crossover network before the driver is not going to affect anything except to bring the driver down a db or two period. Actually technically an L-pad is two resistors, one being the one that attenuates and the other to make the driver resistance the same so as not to affect the crossover network. Simple electronics. No need to get your feathers ruffled. I admire and respect you and I am like you in that if one wants the best sounding crossover that has an autotransformer the AA is the one to use, with some attenuation if you think they are still too bright. The steeper crossovers only sound good loud and you loose the soundstage at lower volumes. An AA still keeps a good sound at lower volumes.  

I know how an L-pad works, I even know how a T-pad works!

Did you read the three pages I posted?

If you want to bring down the driver a dB or two, use the autoformer and adjust the primary capacitor value to keep the crossover point from shifting. 

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I know how an L-pad works, I even know how a T-pad works!

Did you read the three pages I posted?

If you want to bring down the driver a dB or two, use the autoformer and adjust the primary capacitor value to keep the crossover point from shifting. 

Remember that I showed you a crossover that PWK used L-pads on.  They were discrete resistor L-pads at least.  I don't think he wanted to use them, but had to use them to get the speaker to work right.  I wonder if Roy is familiar with that crossover.