AA networks...

Schu

51 minutes ago, Deang said:

Did you do the prerequisite 72,000 hours of break-in before evaluating them? :-)

That's over 8 years of constant listening.  I gave them around a month listening a couple to a few hours at a time.

I'm actually proud of myself that I truly prefer a cheaper cap.  That never happened to me before.

I thought in audio the more you spend the better it sounds.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
13 hours ago, wdecho said:

I went with the selenium D220Ti driver with a selenium horn for the highs. I also have, in the boxes, Eminence APT-50's that are very good as well but I preferred the Selenium. I am using my stock K55M with the Altec 511B horn. If you want to lower the high crossover point and keep your speakers stock looking you must use one of two tweeters Bob Crites sells. From all accounts both are great buys. 

It is asking a lot for a 1 inch mid driver to go from 450hz to 6000 hz. The K55's does so but IMHO they are stretching to reach 6K. Look at the many graphs available of the K55 drivers and it is easy to see. The Selenium driver is capable of excellent response down to say 1500hz so using it as a tweeter is a good option crossing over at 4500 hz. 

then its not a klipsch speaker anymore.

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, mark1101 said:

That's over 8 years of constant listening.  I gave them around a month listening a couple to a few hours at a time.

I'm actually proud of myself that I truly prefer a cheaper cap.  That never happened to me before.

I thought in audio the more you spend the better it sounds.

cheapskate....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

Deang

I would suggest that you correct your settings to receive PMs.

All parties should please refrain from insulting comments. 

Christy

Is this so people can insult him in the PMs and not have to do it in public?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Is this so people can insult him in the PMs and not have to do it in public?

That's a good one but to take it one step farther, the public insults can remain civil and with the PM insults you can really let 'em fly. You know the no holds bar'd insults. Where you can really make your point.

57 minutes ago, richieb said:

... but to take it one step farther, the public insults can remain civil and with the PM insults you can really let 'em fly. You know the no holds bar'd insults. Where you can really make your point.

Almost makes me want to turn on private messaging. 

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

Hid a few posts to eliminate the BS. 

I think this has been a lively conversation.  I don't think you can honestly expect no BS when you're here.  I keep wanting to call BS, but so many of the people posting in this thread know so much more than me that I just sit back and enjoy the sparring instead. 

The relationship between objective facts and subjective opinions reminds me of politics. Neither can disprove the other. It's almost like the two things can't be in the same conversation or there cannot be a winner. :) It also reminds me of religion. Those are the two taboos in these here public forums (religion and politics). 

I will close with this musical piece by 50 cent

Dean,

I think you mentioned something above along the lines of, and just approximately paraphrasing here, "...if a crossover network is balanced correctly, an L-pad isn't needed."  If that is correct, than. I would like to respond:  As we know, and as you and I and many others discussed over a decade ago, an L-pad is technically not part of a crossover per se' (aka frequency dividing) network.  An L-pad (as I also know you know -- I'm simply setting a context) has nothing to do with splitting frequencies between two or more drivers -- which is the crossover's function.  L-pads are in fact the means by which drivers of differing efficiency are matched to a desired output level.   They may accurately be considered as 'fixed' volume controls.  The variation on this is of course what are known (again, as you are aware) as 'variable' L-pads (we can correctly think of them as driver volume controls).  These have the advantage of not only providing adjustable output levels of the drivers with which they are associated, but of course constant reflective impedance between the driving amplifier and loudspeaker voice coil; very much like the swamping resistors some (not I) like to use across the autoformer in the Klipsch networks of yore.  Klipsch no longer uses the autoformer, to the best of my knowledge.

My point is this:  An L-pad is used where differing output efficiencies of individual drivers need to be matched.  A crossover can be absolutely beautifully designed and balanced in terms of frequency distribution between drivers, but may still benefit significantly from the attenuation correction provided by a correctly designed and simple L-pad.  They are in effect more a component of the driver than the crossover, reagrdless of whether the crossover is well-balanced or not.

Wdecho:  I'm in agreement with you on the AL.  With some heavy power in front of it, not bad, but with the majority of amps I use (below 5 watts), it's performance is not acceptable.   

Yes, notch filters, resonant peak filters, zobel networks (like L-pads, also more a component of the driver than the actual crossover) add loss, which understandably makes them not well suited for low power amplifiers.  One starts running out of headroom comparatively quickly.

I must say I appreciate our moderator's effort to remind us about civility,  It is possible to constructively argue without personal insults.  I can't help but think about the old days around here, though.... man, that got pretty crazy at times.

And yeah.  2a3 refers to the triode, having built several amps using it as the output tube.  Same with 300Bs and the 45, which is very much like the 2a3 (I have talked with elderly and extremely experienced designers that often referred to the 2a3 as a valve made up of paralleled 45s.