AA networks...

Schu

• Klipsch Employees
15 hours ago, mustang guy said:

Roy, for us newbs, could you point us in the direction to learn about voltage transfer curves with regards to crossovers? I did some Googling, and the closest thing I could find was info on constant voltage crossovers or amp (CMOS) design with lots of math. Nothing of any educational benefit comes up when I type in voltage transfer curve. Is what Bob did checking the VTC?

Could you explain it to me like I'm 5?

bascially what happens in a network (balancing network; not a crossover.  a network has a crossover and gain adjustments in it) is that it takes the input voltage and changes it to feed the correct voltage and the correct frequency to the driver.  this passing thru of the voltage and frequencies to the woofer, mid and tweet is called a voltage transfer.  

• Like 1

lol, well, I've been accused of that plenty - so if not for me, then everyone else - because honestly, when the issue of capacitor choices came up, all I remember is the "salt and pepper" bit. You just didn't seem to get much excited over the capacitor thing.

20 hours ago, jwc said:
On 8/17/2016 at 1:21 PM, wvu80 said:

Standard whiskey bottles, or premium upgraded?

It doesn't matter, the flavor of all whiskey tastes alike.  :rolleyes:

Bull$hit

Wha?  You dare to challenge my sarcasm???  :o

Or did I NOT use enough "rolling eyes" emojis ^^^ ?  :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let me rephrase;  I WAS KIDDING!  :P

• Klipsch Employees
Just now, Deang said:

lol, well, I've been accused of that plenty - so if not for me, then everyone else - because honestly, all I remember is the "salt and pepper" bit. You just didn't seem to get all excited over the capacitor thing.

ok the rest of the stories...on the resistor part i mentioned that you had to make sure that the impedance was linear in the passband and that you could adjust the level of the tweet above 7khz because i had gotten lucky and it attenuated linearly.....later on we were talking and i mentioned that you had to be careful if you used caps that were other types cause it could affect the freq response....thanks mr paul harvey.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
4 minutes ago, Deang said:

lol, well, I've been accused of that plenty - so if not for me, then everyone else - because honestly, when the issue of capacitor choices came up, all I remember is the "salt and pepper" bit. You just didn't seem to get much excited over the capacitor thing.

hey 50cent..you want to excite me..lets talk bass baits.

I know something is going on with different capacitor types because it's pretty easy to hear - I just never thought it was FR because we don't have published curves showing that. The only curves we have are curves that show there isn't any difference, and so I've caught a lot of heat for "hearing things that aren't there". 

Bass baits; something shiny?

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I know something is going on with different capacitor types because it's pretty easy to hear - I just never thought it was FR because we don't have published curves showing that. The only curves we have are curves that show there isn't any difference, and so I've caught a lot of heat for "hearing things that aren't there". 

Bass baits; something shiny?

Is this true for all ouput levels? Just wondering if there is a difference when your blasting the walls down.

JJK

There is no way you can do any of this without a reliance on math and measurements. You can't design an amplifier "just by ear". Once you've established a baseline, you can tweak by ear. Pass is a genius, and though he might not be "chasing numbers", I believe they are so ingrained into his psyche, that I'm sure he has a very solid list of dos and don'ts when it comes to any of his designs.

Mixing L-pads and autoformers is a bad idea, for the reasons Roy already stated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

...when my dad had his shop and replaced components for anything electrical he always had one to compare with to make sure that it worked as it should.  

Maybe go back and read what Bob said about how he determined what a "correct" AA build should measure like. What you're describing with your Dad is pretty much what Bob did. 

The old guys in the industry often wrote about the damping properties of wax and oil. This stuff can still be found using Google Books. Why did PK specify "oil filled" capacitors?

image.jpeg

25 minutes ago, JJKIZAK said:

Is this true for all ouput levels? Just wondering if there is a difference when your blasting the walls down.

JJK

I can drive my Jensen and Jupiter builds to levels that I simply can't with a metalized polypropylene build, so I would say yes. 

I explained that earlier. 

1) It's the sound they've grown accustomed to. It's a subjective preference.

2) Like the Type A, it "opens up" very fast with very little power. 

3) At low to moderate volumes, in average sized listening rooms, it "gets out of the way".

An "average size room" is any room half the size of yours. :-)

All I know is that I like the sound quite a bit after I build a pair and hook them up. I do have a strong preference for my builds, but hey, what would anyone expect me to say?