Worst Song Ever?

oldtimer

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

Dave, that’s because your life, your lover, and your lady is the sea.  But, Brandy would make a good wife.

Yeah, thank you for that Big Stewie, I just threw up a little in the back of my mouth. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/is-this-80s-no-1-hit-really-the-worst-song-ever/ar-AAiCaBe?li=BBmkt5R

I change the channel every time it comes on the radio, but at least it's not Journey. 

Peter Wolf (co-writer/producer): "Journey was recording in the studio next door, and every time I opened the door, their band members were standing outside with their mouths open. 'This is the Starship? It's unbelievable!'"

Speaking of Journey and the band's music over the years, I have to think that in relation to Peter Wolf's quote above, he seems to have gotten it out of context and Journey couldn't possibly have thought it was a bad song, but probably wished they had done it.  :P

16 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

funny...just in a conversation at work about how the 70s had the best and worst music.  My contributions for songs to kick out of the decade and thus qualify for this list...Wildfire (Michael Martin Murphy) and Chevy Van (Sammy Johns).  do they get any worse than these?   ok, I do have a heart, so i feel sorry for the guy; Wildfire busted down it’s stall and froze to death in that Nebraska winter. That is sad.

I gave a girl a ride in my wagon

She crawled in and took control

She was tired as her mind was draggin'

I said get some sleep and dream of rock and roll

Did you know that the song was so popular in the 70s that they produced, an extremely low-budget film (long before the classic Porky's type movies were ever conceived), called "The Van" featuring the Sammy John song "Chevy Van" along with one of the "central characters" being a customized van with an 8-track tape player and a waterbed in the back? 

Yes, I know it is hard to believe, but it seems that the movie was actually inspired by the Sammy John song "Chevy Van" and is based on (you may have noticed I didn't call it a "plot") some kid blowing his college tuition money to buy a van in order to use it to pick up women.  I guess it didn't occur to him that he could get an apartment off campus and pick up women in college too. :huh:

Probably the only redeeming aspect of the movie was that the guy with the "Dodge van" with the waterbed in the back played two songs, and two songs only, on that old venerable 8-track tape player, that were a better representation of the 70s: "Slow Ride" and "Smoke on the Water." 

I purposely wanted to highlight "Dodge van" above since it turns out that one of the bloopers in the film is that they used a Dodge van instead of a Chevy van.  On a side note, Danny DeVito was in the movie, although I suspect it was probably one of his more forgettable roles......

_ The_Van_1977_poster.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Are we talking about worst rock song, or song played on the radio?  If so, "Brandy, you're a fine girl..." would be my all-time cringe.

But there is an avant guarde tune I think from the 70's that was atonal, every musician did their own individual thing, no melody, no tone, no rhythm, it just makes you want to tear your ears out their socket.  I doubt I can find it again, but it has been referenced on this board before.  That would be the worst song ever.

I like Brandy, catchy little tune, I actually paid to download it

Mark