Chorus II passive raditor

Scottymac63

given how expensive PR's are perhaps you could show a photo or two of your damaged passive. If the suspension are in ok condition it can most likely be repaired. Remember it is nothing but a weight on a spring (cone/suspension) and it does not matter how ugly a patch job will be it will will work just as well as new it only needs to be air tight. moray james.

• Like 1

At work right now, will post a pic this evening. It is bad, I seriously doubt it can be repaired. I should have addressed it a couple years ago when I noticed a small tear in it. To my surprise, it has grown ten times in size. It appears to be just rotting away. Not even sure how it began, the speakers have been in the same spot against a wall for years. I'm the original owner and the speakers have been well taken care of and are in excellent condition outside of this one passive raditor. I'm willing to spend the money to replace it, if a replacement is obtainable, as long as it's not a ridiculous amount. I just can't find any info on replacements. I also plan on replacing the crossovers and tweeters with Crites in the near future as well.

thanks for posting the picture. The cone section can easily be repaired with some craft paper making an overlay over the full area of the camageabout a half inch wider at each end and along the length (I would place such an overlay on each side of the cone (inside/outside) the suspension will require a little more work and a little light fabric and some siliconized latex. I would also paint two or three thinned out layers (very thin) of the caulking on the entire suspension on both sides and I would do the same to your other passive. Should you fell later that you have given up any bass extension (and I do not think that this will be the case) you can address that with some added weight to the passive and be good as new. How you feel about doing this is up to you but this passive can definitely be repaired and made good as new. good luck.

They do show up on eBay every now and again, or simplyspeakers as mentioned above re-cones them. I'd probably try and repair it myself and keep a search saved in eBay and wait for one or a pair to show up used but that's me. Definitely needs to be addressed, I'm surprised you can't hear that thing flapping away back there? 

Thanks for the detailed repair info, moray. I'm still really hoping for an actual replacement. Oddly enough, I have not detected any audio issues with the speaker. Yes, they're in excellent condition, not a nick or scratch on the cabinets or grills and have not been overdriven. That's why I'm puzzled as to how this even happened to the passive. I will keep my eyes open on ebay and check out "Midwest Speaker or Simply Speaker". Thanks again for the info, everybody.

Have you called Klipsch? 

Pull the passive and look on the cone and structure for numbers.  They will ID the maker and part number.  Choice 2 is ask Eminence/Celestion/whovever if they can recone it or supply a kit.  Third is one of the speaker rebuilders. 

20 hours ago, Scottymac63 said:

Thanks for the detailed repair info, moray. I'm still really hoping for an actual replacement. Oddly enough, I have not detected any audio issues with the speaker. Yes, they're in excellent condition, not a nick or scratch on the cabinets or grills and have not been overdriven. That's why I'm puzzled as to how this even happened to the passive. I will keep my eyes open on ebay and check out "Midwest Speaker or Simply Speaker". Thanks again for the info, everybody.

Looks like you have a cat or small animal around based on the scratches to the right and moving up on the surround around the bottom.  If not, likely the air blowing though the ripped radiator over time has caused it to disintegrate.  Since it is driven by air, you are probably making the problem worse as you play it.  I would patch it up with something similar to Moray perhaps with a single layer with a harder glue for the cone area and a softer glue for the flexing, trying to salvage what you can of the surround. Done right, it should resolve the issue until such time you can find an appropriate replacement.  

I ordered a repair kit from Simply Speakers for the passive... $75. It does look like a mouse could have been the culprit, but we have two cats and have seen no evidence of mice in our house. I'm still puzzled as to how it happened. Anyhow, I'm going to order the Crites crossovers and aluminum tweeters. The tweeters look simple enough to replace, hopefully the crossovers won't be too difficult.

2 hours ago, Scottymac63 said:

I ordered a repair kit from Simply Speakers for the passive... $75. It does look like a mouse could have been the culprit, but we have two cats and have seen no evidence of mice in our house. I'm still puzzled as to how it happened. Anyhow, I'm going to order the Crites crossovers and aluminum tweeters. The tweeters look simple enough to replace, hopefully the crossovers won't be too difficult.

All the parts are easy to replace and you'll love it.

Just a small correction, the tweeters are titanium. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grizzog said:

All the parts are easy to replace and you'll love it.

Just a small correction, the tweeters are titanium. 

5 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Simply Speakers isn't taking on any work right now as they are moving. They referred me to the Speaker Exchange who said they would recone my passive for $35-40 plus shipping

Mark

I called Simply Speaker on Friday and all they told me is they have a "repair kit" that is $75 for the passive.