Should We Get A Pool or Ourdoor Living Area with Hot Tub and Fire Pit?

Youthman

3 hours ago, Youthman said:

I certainly appreciate all of the insight and advice.  I've let my wife read the forums and we both agree that a pool is not the best thing to do.  We do however agree that having an outdoor living area (cobblestone area, hot tub and fire pit) would be a great addition to our home. 

Here are a few styles that we like

Wife really likes the Pergola with the stone bases.

outdoor-living-area1.JPG

Simple, yet functional. 

outdoor-living-area2.JPG

Love the look of these stones.  We probably would not have the stone seating.  Chairs around the fire pit would be just fine.  Could do without the structure and add a hot tub somewhere.

outdoor-living-area3.JPG

i vote for the bottom photo.  much rather have that space than a pool. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I would hazard a guess that almost all of those configurations would cost just about the same as a pool

I'm ok with that if we save up until we have the cash to pay for it.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

But they would add more value to the home.

Yes, unlike the pool

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

Why not upgrade to a home that already has all of this and let someone else take the loss?

I really have no desire to move.  We prayed for our home and truly believe it is an answer to prayer. We live in a small gated community with only 52 homes and have incredible neighbors.  Our home has everything we need, not to mention I'm blessed with having my best friend build me a custom wall for my theater room even after having 3 strokes.  I have a few guys that I am going to contact that I might be able to do some bartering with in exchange for an outdoor living area, at least to offset some of the cost.

1 hour ago, dtel said:

One thing to remember you two live in FLORIDA, a Pergola lets the sun shine through during the hottest part of the day, about all they do is look cool. 

I couldn't agree more dtel.  I think they are pointless myself but the wife really likes the way they look. 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

If it were me in Florida it would have some bamboo, thatch and a tropical look, but that's just me. 

Don't think that would fly with the wife.  LOL.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I like the idea too, all of it.  I think it would add to the value of the house at sale time.

That was my thinking.  Although we would love to raise our children and live here for many years, one day when we get old we will likely sell the home and downsize. 

On 10/9/2016 at 5:26 PM, Youthman said:
On 10/9/2016 at 3:38 PM, dtel said:

One thing to remember you two live in FLORIDA, a Pergola lets the sun shine through during the hottest part of the day, about all they do is look cool. 

I couldn't agree more dtel.  I think they are pointless myself but the wife really likes the way they look. 

They make'em with louvered tops now which allows you to tone down the sunshine quite a bit---just sayin'

I live in Nebraska where a pool is only needed 2-3 months out of the year.  However that being said there is still a lot of people around that have pools above and below.  My mom had a 30' round above ground pool. This ran her approximately $10,000.00 to have installed. No deck, just rock around the pool.   I helped her maintain it one summer, while I was staying there while our house was being built.  I actually found it soothing maintaining the pool.  Like someone said, I would take a water sample to the local pool shop once a week and keep up on my chemicals.  This could actually be another hobby for me, give me some tunes and some beer and it would be a party.  There were never any high expenses and major issues.  It would cost me around $400 a year to join a local pool to take my kids to.    Two reasons why I don't,  One I want a in ground pool over an above ground the cost here in Nebraska on average to install an in ground pool is $40,000.00 which I do no have.  This is just to get the pool in the ground, no landscaping or anything fancy.  That being said, the pool is not on my priority list.  I actually planned out an 18' above ground pool, had it priced out and was ready to pull the trigger.  That was until we decided on a camper and a leased camping lot.  We use that more than we would ever use the pool.   If I had $40,000.00 or could re finance the cost into my home loan.  To a point it didn't raise my payment much ($200-$400 a month) I would be all over it.  Everybody's story is different, some good, some bad.  I love the idea having my own pool, it just doesn't make since to me.   I say if you can, go for it. 

39 minutes ago, Marvel said:

My last house payment was only $400 a month...

Unless you have a hefty down payment, that wont buy you much around here.  Unless you do a 30 year note, then you could get $100,000.00 home, but not in a great neighborhood. 

I don't know why there is that big blank with the quote, that is the second time I have seen it.

44 minutes ago, Marvel said:

My last house payment was only $400 a month...

Bruce...you don't know how much that makes me sick. I mean good for you; but, before my divorce, we had just bought a place...payments were $3,100 and change per month -- and that was over 10 years ago.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Bruce...you don't know how much that makes me sick. I mean good for you; but, before my divorce, we had just bought a place...payments were $3,100 and change per month -- and that was over 10 years ago.

Ours isn't that much not too terribly far from it either.  We've had electric bill that was over $300 before.  I would love a $400 house payment.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 9:56 AM, Youthman said:

pool-design1.jpg

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Michael

Youthman, if you have never owned a pool, there is a lot you don't know. Just reading over your current and past situation I strongly recommend you consider focusing on a financial plan for college, weddings, and retirement. Give me a PM if you want to talk more. 

• Like 1