Anyone in CT willing to audition a set of Klipschorns?

Lost240

My formal answer is: Don't know

My informal answer is, they're not Klipschorns and they are not in CT....  but you could probably get an audition in Westhampton, Mass to hear the Jubilee (which was originally designed by PWK to become the Klipschorn II)

The Jubilee is a formidable speaker and in my opinion, pretty easily bests the Khorn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lost240 said:

but something tells me that I wouldn't be able to fit them in my living room

Somewhat rhetorical....  then are you simply wanting to hear Khorns for the sake of hearing them or, are you considering a pair?

If someone has room for a pair of Khorns, they have room for a pair of Jubilee's (physcially....aesthetically, I realize the Jubilee might be more visible than the Khorn)

The Jubilee was intended to replace the Khorn.  One of its design goals was to utilize the same footprint.  Though it's not the exact footprint if you put them toe to toe, once they are in a corner, they occupy the same space.

5 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I'm in south coast section of Massachusetts. I have klipschorns and belles (among various other klipsch) if you want to come over and give a listen. You may need to bring your paladiums for a demo though. :D

You are welcome to visit and listen to the Palladiums. They are too heavy and beautiful to carry around. :-) 

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Somewhat rhetorical....  then are you simply wanting to hear Khorns for the sake of hearing them or, are you considering a pair?

If someone has room for a pair of Khorns, they have room for a pair of Jubilee's (physcially....aesthetically, I realize the Jubilee might be more visible than the Khorn)

The Jubilee was intended to replace the Khorn.  One of its design goals was to utilize the same footprint.  Though it's not the exact footprint if you put them toe to toe, once they are in a corner, they occupy the same space.

I would love to go the jubilee route but don't they need 2 amps and an active crossover? How much can they be purchased for?

Just now, Lost240 said:

If I did I would definitely bring them for a ride. I have the P37s. Although they are the "smallest" floorstanders, they are pretty heavy and awkward. 

Bring them! ! ! 

But seriously, you are welcome to come by and check these out

9 hours ago, Lost240 said:

I would love to go the jubilee route but don't they need 2 amps and an active crossover? How much can they be purchased for?

They come with no crossover so you have a choice.  There is a schematic for a crossover so you would have to have one made (Dean, Crites, other?) or, you could go active.  Going active allows you to mix/match amps if you wish, allows you to align the signal.  Going active isn't hard....just ask me.  I'm as dumb as they come and converted overnight, even made my own cables (to point out my dummy-ness, I even wired one/two backward when I went to the "other" end of the wire)

So, you can go single amp or two with active, your choice.

Cost?  Though I don't know....  I speculate they are under $8K delivered.  When I bought mine (10 years ago) they were about $7K so I'm giving some wiggle room for inflation.

Regardless of their cost, they are LESS expensive than a new pair of Khorns and will (sorry Khorn owners) easily best them.

Note that I don't say that too easily as I lusted to own a pair of Khorns for over 20 years.  Finally bought a pair.  Several years later, heard the Jubilee and sold my Khorns by that weekend to make space.

Heard several things in the engineering room at Hope (including Khorn/Jubilee side by side)

Khorn is a great speaker....but when PWK designed it he had "zero" years of experience making bass horns.  By the time the Jubilee came around, he had 50 years of experience....  it shows.

DSCN4857.JPG

BS.jpg

2jubscala.jpg

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 6:19 AM, Coytee said:

Heard several things in the engineering room at Hope (including Khorn/Jubilee side by side)

Khorn is a great speaker....but when PWK designed it he had "zero" years of experience making bass horns.  By the time the Jubilee came around, he had 50 years of experience....  it shows.

DSCN4857.JPG

BS.jpg

2jubscala.jpg

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

Could you identify the speakers top to bottom?  They look similar but all are different. -Dave

49 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The similarities are the 402 horn.  They just stuck it on different bass bins.

I was trying to figure out the configuration of the Jubilee.  I thought maybe there were variations on the model and that is what was being shown. 

Are you saying the 402 horn is the part of the basic Jubilee package?  I'm just trying to upgrade my complete lack of knowledge.

+++

Edit:  Whoops, I just noticed this thread is about auditioning Khorns.  Have I thread drifted too far off topic?

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I was trying to figure out the configuration of the Jubilee.  I thought maybe there were variations on the model and that is what was being shown. 

Are you saying the 402 horn is the part of the basic Jubilee package?  I'm just trying to upgrade my complete lack of knowledge.

The Jubilee is currently being offered as 3 way in the Theater line.  For home use, most are putting 402's on top and calling it a day.

• Like 1

You still have to buy the ugly factor though....

And I may be the lone dissenter here, but I've heard the Khorn and Jub in the same room, with the same source, etc, and much preferred the Khorn.  The Jub sounded much too "clinical" and sterile to me, lacking character....JMO.