Rf7ii are killing my ears

Justus

6 minutes ago, rebuy said:

So it's just these speakers and Not reproduced sound from other speakers?  

The question is if it is these speakers or your ears---- before you proceed.

Im thinking my ears may be compromised.

buffering the highs from the 7s will help tho i think. Then i can hopefully return them to factory specs.

Like posted earlier, dog toys hurt when they squeak, so comparing the tv and truck stereo isnt apples to apples.

I think the ear trauma from the explosions and the highs on the 7s are a perfect storm

2 minutes ago, rebuy said:

Care you running your AVR with the sound set to all speakers at Zero--so all the levels are the same?

?

Like 5 ch stereo and bass/teble flat?

I can try tomorrow but i refuse to play anything loud right now.

Right now i have netflix on and the treble is at zero... so far im ok, but i also have the fireplace on for a white noise hiss from the gas.

Just now, Justus said:

Or do u mean calibrationwise?

Im pretty sure they are all zeroed, will check later.... its too early right now and the lady is asleep

Yes, one thing you can try is backing them off from ZERO--take the calibration into the NEGATIVE Numbers.

Set them to Negative 3 or a little more until the highs are not so Piercing to your ears.

If this works you might not have to use the Tone Controls to alter the sound.

It will change the sound some and might be more pleasing to your ears.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rebuy said:

Yes, one thing you can try is backing them off from ZERO--take the calibration into the NEGATIVE Numbers.

Set them to Negative 3 or a little more until the highs are not so Piercing to your ears.

If this works you might not have to use the Tone Controls to alter the sound.

It will change the sound some and might be more pleasing to your ears.

Will try tomorrow.

Treble is now in the negatives, and my ears are doing better.

ill slowly bring em back up over time, because i love cymbal crashes.

I think ill be ok as long as i take it slow. Dr visit on hold.

The 7s have a couple peaks in their response. Some, including myself, find that to be bright and harsh.

I had mine turned down -2 as well, but without an EQ, you won't be able to pinpoint those peaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grizzog said:

The 7s have a couple peaks in their response.

It looks like there are at least three resonances: at about 2-3 kHz, and two resonances or diaphragm break-up modes between 10 and 20 kHz--as can be seen in the waterfall plot just below:

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Waterfall.jpg

In addition, there is a relative peak in on-axis SPL at about 20 kHz (shown below in the SPL vs. off-axis plot), which is quite audible for males less than 40 years old (and all females):

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Frequency%252

It looks like the dual 10" woofers could each use a phase plug for frequencies above ~660 Hz, as shown in the 10 degree off-axis curve above.  It would be nice to be able to run the crossover point down a little from its 1.2 kHz point in order to minimize lobing in the copper-alloy cladded cones' polar output.  Also the dual woofers, even though arranged close together, will experience lobing in the vertical axis at about the same 660-2000 crossover interference band.

I'd also bet that you can hear sibilances due to the relative peak in response around 6 kHz, quite clearly. 

Chris

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 9:17 AM, Chris A said:

It looks like there are at least three resonances: at about 2-3 kHz, and two resonances or diaphragm break-up modes between 10 and 20 kHz--as can be seen in the waterfall plot just below:

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Waterfall.jpg

In addition, there is a relative peak in on-axis SPL at about 20 kHz (shown below in the SPL vs. off-axis plot), which is quite audible for males less than 40 years old (and all females):

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Frequency%252

It looks like the dual 10" woofers could each use a phase plug for frequencies above ~660 Hz, as shown in the 10 degree off-axis curve above.  It would be nice to be able to run the crossover point down a little from its 1.2 kHz point in order to minimize lobing in the copper-alloy cladded cones' polar output.  Also the dual woofers, even though arranged close together, will experience lobing in the vertical axis at about the same 660-2000 crossover interference band.

I'd also bet that you can hear sibilances due to the relative peak in response around 6 kHz, quite clearly. 

Chris

The 10 degree off axis is vertical (the others are horizontal off axis), so that's showing the lobing (and the on axis might be showing a bit of lobing as well with the slight dip above 500), but why the need for phase plugs? 

3 hours ago, Dkfan9 said:

but why the need for phase plugs?

If you see the SPL disturbances above 660 Hz on the horizontal off-axis plots (the vertical plot is of course showing the effects of having non-concentric drivers in the vertical axis) and do some calculations, you find that 1/2 wave at 660 Hz is about 10 inches--about the diameter of the copper woofer cones. 

The higher frequencies that you go above that point, the more cancellations will occur due to the shorter and shorter wavelengths.  This is the same reason why compression drivers have phase plugs and why most woofers are crossed below 600 Hz, because each woofer starts to introduce lobing polar patterns at their 1/2 wave frequency corresponding to the diameter of the woofer's active cone. The RF-7 II apparently crosses at 1.2 kHz.

Some loudspeaker manufacturers solve this problem in their two-way designs that cross above their 1/2-wavelength woofer cone diameter frequency by using woofer phase plugs, e.g.:

diamond10.1lrg.jpg

I would guess that Klipsch decided on the 1.2 kHz crossover point due to the inability of the HF compression driver to project lower frequencies or the limited mouth dimensions of its attached HF horn to control the polars below that frequency.  It's a design tradeoff between the woofer's polars, the HF horn/compression driver polars (which should match in coverage angles at the crossover frequency), the frequency response on and off-axis for each driver, and the distortion levels that are present at the crossover frequency for each driver.

Klipsch-Reference-RF7-II-front.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

If you see the SPL disturbances above 660 Hz on the horizontal off-axis plots (the vertical plot is of course showing the effects of having non-concentric drivers in the vertical axis) and do some calculations, you find that 1/2 wave at 660 Hz is about 10 inches--about the diameter of the copper woofer cones. 

The higher frequencies that you go above that point, the more cancellations will occur due to the shorter and shorter wavelengths.  This is the same reason why compression drivers have phase plugs and why most woofers are crossed below 600 Hz, because each woofer starts to introduce lobing polar patterns at their 1/2 wave frequency corresponding to the diameter of the woofer's active cone. The RF-7 II apparently crosses at 1.2 kHz.

Some loudspeaker manufacturers solve this problem in their two-way designs that cross above their 1/2-wavelength woofer cone diameter frequency by using woofer phase plugs, e.g.:

diamond10.1lrg.jpg

I would guess that Klipsch decided on the 1.2 kHz crossover point due to the inability of the HF compression driver to project lower frequencies or the limited mouth dimensions of its attached HF horn to control the polars below that frequency.  It's a design tradeoff between the woofer's polars, the HF horn/compression driver polars (which should match in coverage angles at the crossover frequency), the frequency response on and off-axis for each driver, and the distortion levels that are present at the crossover frequency for each driver.

Klipsch-Reference-RF7-II-front.jpg

Chris

Ok, that makes sense. That FR graph is pretty interesting, with off axis having a large bump between 5500 and 10k relative to the on axis and surrounding frequencies. The drop above 10k isn't so surprising, but below 5.5k is interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think i may have figured this all out and it being an inner ear issue of either an infection or water.

Im still working things out slowly, watched Sully a few nights ago and shook the liv room....no issues from the ears. Ive been very careful up till that point and tried many things. 

My comment is totally unrelated to your ears...perhaps as well try running AVR straight up rather than in Direct mode. I found doing this with my Marantz gives things a warmer and fuller sound. The Direct with many materials seemed a bit thin to me - which was most likely the case, as different material was recorded in different eras and of differing quality. My first pair of RB61s benifeted from dropping the treble into slight negatives. The RB61 IIs which I added didn't seem to need this - they were crossed over a bit lower.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That definitely doesn't sound typical of the RF-7ii.  I own the original RF-7 and they can be a bit on the bright side.  At really high volume, my ears do suffer from fatigue but nothing painful.  I have had my RF-7ii cranked really loud and no pain or fatigue there, even before I had DeanG modify the crossovers which made them even smoother.

• Like 1