New to Klipsch - Did I buy the right products?

MiSoProh

Hello,

I am putting together a 7.1 surround system and I already purchased the items but have not installed any of the speakers yet. After reading some of the forums here I am now doubting my choice. Here is what I have so far...

RF- 82 II for front L & R

RC - 62 II for center

RB - 61 II for surround L & R

RS - 42 II for rear L & R

R - 12SW Sub

For the first system I am putting together, would these 8 speakers sound good together? or should I return some and get others?

Also, does it make sense to have RB - 61 bookshelf for L+R surrounds and the RS-42 for rears? or should I flip those two sets?

MiSoProh,

Welcome to the forum.

All speakers will match up just fine.

6 hours ago, MiSoProh said:

Also, does it make sense to have RB - 61 bookshelf for L+R surrounds and the RS-42 for rears? or should I flip those two sets?

I say flip the two pairs.

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'd question the sub choice as it may not be enough depending on the room size.

Something to consider.:unsure:

Bill

• Like 1

The speakers look well matched for timbre and relative output. How big is your room and how many seating positions? If you only have a single row of seats or one couch I would consider trading in your 12'' sub and bookshelves and going with a 5.1 system with a 15'' Klipsch sub instead or if you have some spare cash and the room go with another 12'' sub.

+1 for what's already been said here.  That's a solid configuration.

I would also say that the RB-61's should be at the rear, and the RS-42's on the side.  Dolby calls for direct firing speakers generally at the rear and dispersion on the sides for the best surround experience.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/9/2016 at 4:38 PM, jjptkd said:

Looks like they are all some what matched, I'd question the sub choice as it may not be enough depending on the room size.

I agree.  You have purchased a very nice system.  There will always be systems that can take you to the next level but that is a very capable system.  I've always thought the RF-82 / RC-62 is a great bang for your buck system.  The sub might be lacking (says the guy that has eleven 15" drivers in his HT).  :lol:

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 2

I will work on uploading some pics.

My room is 20 wide by 15 deep. Unfortuntely the room is configured with the tv being on the center of  20ft wide wall and the couch is 15 ft away against the opposite back wall. I chose to put the RS-42s on the rear wall because I dont have enough space between back wall and the couch to have a directional speaker like RB-62 work properly. I can leave maybe 12 inches between the couch and the wall while the RB-62 is more then 12 inches deep by itself. If you guys disagree, let me know. 

I figured having the RB-62 at 90°s from viewing position will give good directional sound for L and R. 

I also agree the sub maybe under powered Im thinking of returninh this sub and getting SVS pb1000. has anyone here paired that sub with a similar system as mine?

I am going to disagree on the RS42s.

I have the RS52s and have seen and heard the RS62s and the RS42s.

The 42s look like little toys.  They may be able to keep up but I say you need the RS52s for those, and yes they should be side surrounds.
I would save money and NOT buy the RB61s for the back and find a pair of used RB51s.  Not nearly as good, but let's face it, the back surrounds do not need anything special.

Nothing wrong with RB61 back surrounds at all, to me it's just overkill and the money is much better spent on larger bipole surrounds.

Sub is a no brainer do not buy I repeat do not buy the R12SW.

R115SW yes, or non-Klipsch sub such as the SVS line are quite nice at reasonable prices. 

Ok so seems like everybody is in agreement. The surround speakers should be used for side, not back. This means I cannot use the SB-61's and may have to do a 5.1 instead of 7.1 system.

I will return the SB-61's for now and mount the RS-42's on side. Ill try saving up for few months to buy a pair of RS-52, then have RS-52 as my side surrounds and move RS-42 to rear surrounds again. 

Would it be good to have all 4 surround speakers be WDST?

Just ordered SVS PB-2000 Sub. Hopefully that's enough for a 20x15 room.

I run four omnipole surrounds and don't have an issue, it's just spec that you use direct firing speakers at the rear.  In your configuration (as in mine) with the seating position on the wall, that probably won't be an issue.  If you can angle the rears directly down, that would help a bunch too.

1 hour ago, IbizaFlame said:

I run four omnipole surrounds and don't have an issue, it's just spec that you use direct firing speakers at the rear.  In your configuration (as in mine) with the seating position on the wall, that probably won't be an issue.  If you can angle the rears directly down, that would help a bunch too.

Thanks! I think I can tilt the RS-42's a little bit so they angle down.

Ill save up in the next year or so to get a nicer pair of surround speakers for the L+R. For now I downgraded the RB-61 to RB-51 will still use them for L+R surround (kick started my savings for better surround speakers :) ).

So now I have:

RF- 82 II for front L & R

RC - 62 II for center

RB - 51 II for surround L & R

RS - 42 II for rear L & R

SVS PB-2000 sub

Thanks a lot for all your help!