"Little Tater" additional pics

tube fanatic

14 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Maynard, the capcitors look large for that size amp.  How do you decide on the capacitor size?  Dose it have anything to do with the transformer size?  This just an educational question for me since I don't know the first thing about building tube amps.

If you are talking about the physical size of the caps in the p/s section, that's dictated by their value and working voltage.  Within those parameters size can vary depending on the capacitor design and manufacturer.  These are not all that large and measure only 30 mm long and 30 mm wide.  The value of the caps is determined by how much ripple I want from the p/s, and the voltage at which the caps will operate.  I try to stock as few different values as possible which allows me to use the same p/s design for a wide array of voltage and current requirements.  Transformer size is typically a function of the voltage and current it is designed to provide, and whether it has only one filament winding or multiples of the latter.  So, for example, a 500V transformer which can supply 175 ma, and has 2 filament windings, will usually be physically larger than a 250V unit which only needs to supply 100 ma with a single filament winding.  This also varies from one manufacturer to another depending on the physical properties of the core materials used and the method of construction:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/transformer-construction.html

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Maynard     

• Like 1

Thanks you very much for the explanation and the attached article.  It is great that you have added an educational component to this thread.  We have enough  threads on which amp do I get.  It is nice to get an understanding of one particular amp compared to another.  Having a better understanding will certainly lead to better choices for us new guys.

Image result for man tipping hat gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...