Any Home Auto Mechanics Here?

Wolfbane

With an in-garage hoist? Thinking about buying this 20 Gal Portable Waste Oil Drain Unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0YKJ6E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3RCRUQZKOMTW7

I believe this is the unit that is sold elsewhere for more money as Lincoln brand. 

If you have a portable drain unit what brand? Function as advertized, etc.?

Arksen Oil Drain System.jpg

Worry about it ....no....wish it wasn't there ....yes...My car has a full belly ban and the filter is on the top...I think it is about 16 screws to take belly pan off...even the dealer doesn't remove the oil pan drain plug. Manufacture recommends changing synthetic oil every 10k miles...I do it every 5k. Don't get me wrong I do understand that there may be a little dirty oil left.....but with the ground clearance of my vehicle..... getting underneath is not an option.

G.E.M.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I guess you just don't worry about the last 8 oz or so of dirty oil left in the pan?

That really isn't the case, you can get it pretty much bone dry.  It is actually the only method youncan use on a MB.  Depending on the make and model of vehicle, where drain plug is located, you can actually get more out than using a drain plug.

8 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

That really isn't the case, you can get it pretty much bone dry.  It is actually the only method youncan use on a MB.  Depending on the make and model of vehicle, where drain plug is located, you can actually get more out than using a drain plug.

Not going to happen.

Once you get below the top of the hose you start sucking air, not fluid.

8 hours ago, oldred said:

I maintain a number of family vehicles, have owned a Mityvac for 10+ years but only use it on my BMW. If it did not have an aluminum oil pan with a steel drain plug I would not use it for that car either.

8 hours ago, Schu said:

Op... you have a lift?

Yes, currently have one hoist and thinking about getting another which would add another parking space in my garage.

5 minutes ago, jason str said:

Not going to happen.

You can get almost all oil out of the crankcase with the Mityvac. It adds time to the 'oil change' though. I know this from the scale on the Mityvac's tank and how much oil I put into the crankcase last change. The best use for a Mityvac is manual trans and differential refills on cars not on a hoist when changing those fluids.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, jason str said:

Not going to happen.

Yes that right, it socks all of the liquid out until it is near empty and the it starts sucking air and liquid until it is no more liquid, and all air.  Pretty much like a straw in a glass.

MB and BMW are designed for extraction and so you can get as much out, if not more, by extraction.  Other makes and models, maybe not so much.

But let's say you change oil regularly, before recommend life/mileage,  what's the problem if you only get it down to 4 OZ?  If you are changing it warm the debris, which is what you really care about, not the color.  It's all going to be black again on an hour anyway.

7 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Yes that right, it socks all of the liquid out until it is near empty and the it starts sucking air and liquid until it is no more liquid, and all air.  Pretty much like a straw in a glass.

MB and BMW are designed for extraction and so you can get as much out, if not more, by extraction.  Other makes and models, maybe not so much.

But let's say you change oil regularly, before recommend life/mileage,  what's the problem if you only get it down to 4 OZ?  If you are changing it warm the debris, which is what you really care about, not the color.  It's all going to be black again on an hour anyway.

Lay a small air hose in a tray of water and get a siphon going and see what happens, you will never get it all out. Once you start sucking air you break the siphon and get very little fluid.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, jason str said:

The bottom of the differential, transmission and oil pan is where all the shavings sit, just as or even more important to remove this as changing the fluid.

Ues shavings can sit, but you shoukdnt change oil that has been sitting, you should change it when it is warm and you get shavings, and debris.to the filter.  

I have heard people say that the debris is the first stuff to come out from then plug, but then I have heard people who really know what they are talking about say that just isn't the case at all if you get oil warm, it ends up in the filter, like it is supposed to.

It isn't like sediment at the bottom of the ocean, if you get it warm and it is circulating it ends of in the filter.

All I know is MB says Mobile 1 every 10K, they use extraction at dealer, and 100K is where they are just getting broken in. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, jason str said:

Lay a small air hose in a tray of water and get a siphon going and see what happens, you will never get it all out. Once you start sucking air you break the siphon and get very little fluid.

Now I understand your confusion, it's not a siphon,  it's a vacuum.  It will continue to suck air long after it is no longer sucking liquid, just like a straw at the bottom of a glass.

17 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Ues shavings can sit, but you shoukdnt change oil that has been sitting, you should change it when it is warm and you get shavings, and debris.to the filter.  

I have heard people say that the debris is the first stuff to come out from then plug, but then I have heard people who really know what they are talking about say that just isn't the case at all if you get oil warm, it ends up in the filter, like it is supposed to.

It isn't like sediment at the bottom of the ocean, if you get it warm and it is circulating it ends of in the filter.

All I know is MB says Mobile 1 every 10K, they use extraction at dealer, and 100K is where they are just getting broken in. 

Shavings only get to the filter if the oil pickup sucks them up, otherwise it just sits at the bottom of the pan.

13 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Now I understand your confusion, it's not a siphon,  it's a vacuum.  It will continue to suck air long after it is no longer sucking liquid, just like a straw at the bottom of a glass.

I'm not confused, learned this stuff from a lifetime of experience and you are wrong.

The principle works the same.

If you have a straw in a cup you can tilt the glass and get to the bottom corner, in an oil pan you do not have this option and you break the siphon sucking air.

• Moderators
On 12/20/2016 at 11:25 PM, jason str said:

Shavings only get to the filter if the oil pickup sucks them up, otherwise it just sits at the bottom of the pan.

I'm not confused, learned this stuff from a lifetime of experience and you are wrong.

The principle works the same.

If you have a straw in a cup you can tilt the glass and get to the bottom corner, in an oil pan you do not have this option and you break the siphon sucking air.

That is true, Shavings will only get to filter if oil pickup sucks them up.  But if they are sitting on the bottom of the pan and are not sucked up, they are not suspended and they are not going to slide out of the pan either with that last Oz of oil..  They will just sit and do nothing, it isn't a concern is it?  it would just sit there doing nothing.  It's the debris that is circulating through the engine that is a concern.  Whyou is it they don't magnetized 

The real key to all of this is the quality of the filter that is selected and the partial rating, 15 to 20 microns.  Not the 40 to 70 you can see with some OEM replacementS.

What I have found is that experience doesn't have any correlation with proper oil and lubrication maintenance.  I had an airplane mechanic a long time ever ago who wanted me to test every oil change and get a particle count.  We could tell the oil was working and the filters were doing what they needed to do, or if there was a problem.  If you aren't concerned about the filter, and putting in whatever they recommend, having every last drop out of the pan isn't going to matter. It is much more important to know the filter capability of what you have, and what you are replacing it with,

Blackstone labs does auto oil, airplane oil testing, and a lot of other.  The particle testing will check  6 or so sizes, from 4 to 70 mikes and you can see what is, or isn't being trapped.  

People who obsess about the Shavings at the bottom of the pan can buy one of the drain plugs with a magnet, they claim it will collect it all, and join in that debate.

Try this little trick:

Next time an oil change is due, Use your Mityvac first. Then pull the drain plug and see how much oil you really left in the pan.

I always inspect the used motor oil and plug. Once got a piece from a piston skirt and more than once I got needle bearings from rockers.

• Like 2