Emotiva Air Motiv or Klipsch Reference Premiere

johnnydrama

Hey Guys-

I haven't posted for awhile but I do still stop in on a daily basis. I sold my Klipsch XF-48 speaker setup yesterday unexpectedly, I was offered top dollar for it and couldn't refuse even though I was very happy and content with my setup. Now I'm left struggling to decide what to do next. I have narrowed it down to either the new Emotiva Air Motiv or Klipsch Reference Premiere setup. Speakers will be driven more than likely by a Marantz SR7009 and will be mated with either a pair of SVS Subs or another Dayton Ultimax build. I do plan to go/utilize Atmos down the line, but I want to focus initially on the 5.2 setup.

Here is a link to the Emotiva line-up as well as a link to a recent review done by Sound and Vision.

http://emotiva.com/products/loudspeakers/airmotiv-5ch-bundle

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-airmotiv-5ch-speaker-system-review#zAD3c6DlXJsxIkws.97

The Premiere line-up I would plan on buying is as follows:

RP-260F

RP-450C

RP-240S

I have always valued the input of others here and would appreciate any insight/thoughts. I may or may not listen to you so don't take offense. I plan to buy in the next couple of days.

Thanks guys!

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I can send tonight or you can just come over and see in person.... pretty sure I am rather "local"…

I am really busy due to it being the end of the month. Could you maybe send me a list of what you've got and what you would want for it. 

I still regret selling my XF-48 system. With that said, I have owned a RP-160M x 4 and RP-450C 5 speaker system and I also loved them. 

I have never seen those Emotiva, non-powered speakers. Looks like I have a little research to do..

6 minutes ago, K5SS said:

I still regret selling my XF-48 system. With that said, I have owned a RP-160M x 4 and RP-450C 5 speaker system and I also loved them. 

I have never seen those Emotiva, non-powered speakers. Looks like I have a little research to do..

This was the second time I owned an XF-48 system and I swore I would never sell it again. They are rare and hard to come by. Really hoping I can find something I'm just as happy with.

I don't believe the Emotiva Air Motivs have been out long, September maybe??? The review I attached was just published on Sound and Vision on 12/20/16. Not many people out there with them but are very attractive at that price point.

The set looks very promising. I just wish one of these companies would make a full sized center channel to match the towers. 

I know now that takes the set out of the "mainstream" but a matching, full sized center might sell enough to justify the efforts. Keep the small center to appeal to the masses. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teaman said:

Johnnydrama, are you looking into powered speakers or are you entertaining passive ones also? Just wondering because someone on the Emotiva forum has a pair of Emotiva Stealth 6's at a nice price

The XF-48s were powered however I'm just interested in Passives with my next setup. Thanks!

• Like 1

I always recommend building around a good center channel. I think Emotiva has a good return policy. Maybe order the center to try out for a week or so. If it's really good then the rest will do their job just as well. If the center sucks well you know you'll never be real happy with it anyways since this is a surround setup. 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody, I ended up going an entirely different direction. I bought a new DefTech Atmos setup with Marantz receiver. Throughout the day I think I  decided to purchase 4 different setups. Finally pulled the trigger on a late entry with the DefTechs. They have a 60-day trial, so if I don't like them I will send them back. Trying to decide how to spend hundreds of dollars definitely wore me out today.

I will post pics and share thoughts next week when I get everything set up. I'm sure I will be shunned considering DefTech is second only to Bose around here. I did own BP-10s and BP-7004s for short periods and was always intrigued by DefTechs approach. Anxious to give their new BP9000 line a try.

I just replaced Def Tech's with Klipsch Reference - I had the Def Techs for 13 years, it was time for a change.  Plus, the Def Techs were BP6B fronts, CLR2002, and Bp2X surrounds - good speakers, but I went bigger with RP 280F, RP450C, R112SW and soon to get RP450S.  Also upgraded the receiver to drive them better.  It is a HUGE difference - Klipsch reference really hit the price to value sweet spot.  You could spend a lot more, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Def Techs are good too - they have a ton of good speakers, you can't go wrong either way.

I saw earlier in the thread that you made a decision four times in a day before pulling the trigger... been there, totally get it.  Whenever I get to that state, I always step away, sleep on it, and revisit in a day or two... osmosis always helps with the decision somehow!  I always try not to rush on these things, especially after a whole day of getting all the options rammed down my throat, and sometimes it can get confusing.   I always end up having second thoughts in that case... but we all go through this process differently, I tend to spend WAY too much time in the learning / research phase - the engineer in me kicks in and I have to make the "perfect" decision, then to top it off find the decided items at a great price!  On big decisions like this it can take me days, even weeks of time slicing the research, revisiting, reading reviews... I know I am not alone here!!!!!

Cheers, and congrats on the new set up.  Enjoy it, that is what matters!

• Like 1

I haven't heard the Emotiva's but I've played with some AMT tweeters and can tell you that the vertical dispersion can be extremely short/narrow on upper treble, I found it to be odd for home theater.  It's good in the sweet spot but something as minor as slumping in your seat or reclining could change the heard frequency response.  Most I've seen are like 20 degrees at the most, meaning if you're more than 10 degrees off from the horizontal plane then stuff starts sounding funny.