Yum

jimjimbo

I like it but did you blanch the bacon before hand ? Because otherwise , raw bacon .

I've never blached the bacon amd cooked them until the bacon was cooked thoroughly. I usually put chicken in mine as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Cored jalapeno's, cheddar and Jarlsberg swiss, topped with a small piece of ham (sometimes sausage) to keep the cheese from disappearing....The bacon turns out just fine if you cook them on the cooler side of the grill.  No "blanching" required.  Removing the seeds and ribs from the peppers lightens them up, they are not nearly as spicy as you would think.

Elden, here's the Amazon page for the grill racks.  @dtel

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jalapeno+grill+rack&sprefix=jalap%2Caps%2C168&crid=2SOX04T7ZK0KF

• Moderators

Thank you, I thought that is what they were.

I made some last summer with some jalapenos I grew. Some people stuff them with cream cheese, I don't like it so I just stuffed them with some italian sausage and cheese and wrapped with bacon. They were so hot I had cut them in pieces to eat and it was still hot, I put them in a freezer bag and would use them with certain foods, I have no idea why they were so hot, I removed the seeds.  

I have a couple of gallon bags of whole frozen peppers in the freezer, I should probably should make some more, the peppers were frozen whole un cleaned of seeds, not sure if there any good like that, I had so many at one time.

• Moderators

Another great idea is smoking a fattie, not exactly what it sounds like, and can be made with an unlimited combination of ingredients. I have only tried a couple different kinds. 

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT7UCJi5ZLCYAEspXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyY2Fzb2hmBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQjQwMzdfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=smoking+a+fattie&fr=yfp-t

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Thank you, I thought that is what they were.

I made some last summer with some jalapenos I grew. Some people stuff them with cream cheese, I don't like it so I just stuffed them with some italian sausage and cheese and wrapped with bacon. They were so hot I had cut them in pieces to eat and it was still hot, I put them in a freezer bag and would use them with certain foods, I have no idea why they were so hot, I removed the seeds.  

I have a couple of gallon bags of whole frozen peppers in the freezer, I should probably should make some more, the peppers were frozen whole un cleaned of seeds, not sure if there any good like that, I had so many at one time.

Jalapenos have a wide range of heat, from mild to wtf.  It's just the nature of the beast.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Jalapenos have a wide range of heat, from mild to wtf.  It's just the nature of the beast.

I had no idea, I thought they would roughly all about the same. The ones I did last time were really hot, I was kind of shocked, I could only eat small pieces.

12 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Batter them in corn muffin mix and little flour, with the cheddar and bacon inside.  Deep fry.  Deadly.

That just might be on the menu for this weekend, but maybe baked?  Great idea.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Batter them in corn muffin mix and little flour, with the cheddar and bacon inside.  Deep fry.  Deadly.

There is a gas station here that does that, they are addictive and not really hot.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If you de-vein them and take the seeds out, they're not bad, no matter how hot they start out.

I did that and they were way hotter than any jalapenos I have ever tried, I wish I knew what variety they were. But I know they were jalapenos because I can't handle the really hot pepper types, I would never buy those.

39 minutes ago, dtel said:

There is a gas station here that does that, they are addictive and not really hot.

I did that and they were way hotter than any jalapenos I have ever tried, I wish I knew what variety they were. But I know they were jalapenos because I can't handle the really hot pepper types, I would never buy those.

I'm tellin ya, sometimes jalapenos are just like that.  I'm not sure if it's cross pollination or something else.  My dad cussed me out one time because some I grew were smokinn hot.  He said I didn't water them enough.  That wasn't true at all, for some reason they just came out super hot.  I have had Tamu milds even turn out hotter than expected.

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm tellin ya, sometimes jalapenos are just like that.  I'm not sure if it's cross pollination or something else.  My dad cussed me out one time because some I grew were smokinn hot.  He said I didn't water them enough.  That wasn't true at all, for some reason they just came out super hot.  I have had Tamu milds even turn out hotter than expected.

I don't grow jalapeno's or serrano's, as they are just so damn cheap at my local Mexican market.  I concentrate on less common types.  Stress is certainly a factor, but the climate, soil, age of the pepper also have much to do with the heat levels.  I have found that keeping the soil moist for a couple of weeks (at the most) after they've been put into their permanent growing space, and then watering very modestly for the remainder of the season gives the best yields (for me).

• Moderators
2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

My dad cussed me out one time because some I grew were smokinn hot.  He said I didn't water them enough.

OK you might be onto something, the peppers I was talking about were grown in containers on the front porch. The plants got to be good size in a medium size pot and that tends to have the pot be dryer than normal with all the water being used faster by the bigger plant. They may have been drier than the other plants around them without me knowing ? Plus those pots sit on the cement that tends to heat up on hot days, all I know is they were hot.