Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

ALK xover - DIY for Forte II schematic

Recommended Posts

I wanted to move this to a new/fresh topic as it was so deeply nested in an other thread

 

forteiialk.thumb.jpg.d07e3532339a8e07ed57ef92495a5236.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would litz wire truly be necessary at audio frequency's? I understand the theory behind it and question if one would really need it at these frequency levels. If yes a source?

Edited by Alexander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alexander said:

Would litz wire truly be necessary at audio frequency's? I understand the theory behind it and question if one would really need it at these frequency levels. If yes a source?

 

Here is a reference to wade through - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/66857-inductor-face-off-ii/

I have used 14awg Litz wire inductors in ALK's crossovers after first building them using 16awg solid wire and couldn't hear any difference, but at least it scratched that itch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

So are you going to build these?

I am considering it, looking at cost of parts. At a quick glance it would be $170+ in the components. I had called him and attempted to purchase a kit but was informed he no longer offers them. Sad that the actions of a few people ruin things for the rest of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could anyone tell me what the .66mh/6.8ohm "add-on" is for?  As we know the Forte II has a k-25-k driver so what determines when the extra components are needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alexander, the .66mh/6.8ohm "add-on" is the woofer inductance and resistance. ALK uses these values when designing the woofer low pass network, hence the fence around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this filter also get rid of the "dip" between 200 and 2Khz, that can be seen on the frequency response graph?

Forté II freq resp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

Alexander, the .66mh/6.8ohm "add-on" is the woofer inductance and resistance. ALK uses these values when designing the woofer low pass network, hence the fence around them.

ALK liked to smooth things out, impedance wise especially.  Likely to keep phase and impedance of the woofer in check so the rest of the filter worked correctly.

 

Lasz,

 

That dip could be due to the way the speaker was measured.  2db over that broad an area isn't bad at all.  I myself would like that drop to extend up to around 8k-10k as that level in the 3k-4k range can bother some folks ears.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

Alexander, the .66mh/6.8ohm "add-on" is the woofer inductance and resistance. ALK uses these values when designing the woofer low pass network, hence the fence around them.

That makes sense, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, CECAA850 said:

So are you going to build these?

Curious CECAA850 as to why you asked if I were to be building these, is there something I might need to know or consider?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alexander said:

Curious CECAA850 as to why you asked if I were to be building these, is there something I might need to know or consider?

 

 

 

 

Not really.  Just hoping for pictures.  I enjoy build threads and impressions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Not really.  Just hoping for pictures.  I enjoy build threads and impressions.

Oh, OK :)  I priced out all components and between Meniscus and Solen the price is 2 x $73.xx + shipping. This price is with Solen caps & air coils, the iron core will be from Meniscus. I could put up part numbers & prices if there is an interest. for them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
      Price each per speaker Source Part #      
Caps               Caps Total  
2 36uf Mylar *2x18 $2.57 $5.14 solen PEMT160J186   $30.70  
1 27uf   $13.76 $13.76 solen PB2700      
1 18uf NP   $1.26 $1.26 solen B05A100K186      
1 7.5uf   $5.00 $5.00 meniscus S7.5      
2 2.2uf   $2.77 $5.54 meniscus S2.2      
                   
                   
                   
Inductors               inductor total  
1 2.0 mh iron   $13.23 $13.23 meniscus SL2   $40.17  
1 1.6mh soildw   $7.65 $7.65 solen S201.6      
                   
1 .20mh16Litz   $8.72 $8.72 solen L16.20      
1 .30mh#16Litz   $10.57 $10.57 solen L16.30      
                   
                   
                   
Resistors               resistor total  
1 30ohm   $0.44 $0.44 solen mo1000j30r   $2.87  
1 9.1ohm   $0.49 $0.49 solen mo1000j9r1      
1 6.8ohm   $0.97 $0.97 solen mo1000j6r8      
1 3.9ohm   $0.97 $0.97 solen mo1000j3r9      
                Total per speaker  
                73.74  
                   
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Not really.  Just hoping for pictures.  I enjoy build threads and impressions.

 

ALK design Forte II crossovers built by another Forum Member, I haven't had time to install them yet.

 

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LeeW, looking at the few values I can read this is for a Forte I, did you replace your k25k with a k23k driver? Some of those components are out of my price range ;) . Thanks for the pic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Alexander said:

I am considering it, looking at cost of parts. At a quick glance it would be $170+ in the components. I had called him and attempted to purchase a kit but was informed he no longer offers them. Sad that the actions of a few people ruin things for the rest of us.

 

IMO, Al K was the one who ruined things.  While very gifted as a filter designer -- just ask him -- he had very little patience or diplomacy skills.  Any disagreement, or merely questioning, was seen by him as a personal attack.  He repeatedly banned himself.  It's unfortunate that the forum lost his expertise, but he was the problem, not the forum.  Without thicker skin, this forum was never going to be a comfortable environment for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

 

IMO, Al K was the one who ruined things.  While very gifted as a filter designer -- just ask him -- he had very little patience or diplomacy skills.  Any disagreement, or merely questioning, was seen by him as a personal attack.  He repeatedly banned himself.  It's unfortunate that the forum lost his expertise, but he was the problem, not the forum.  Without thicker skin, this forum was never going to be a comfortable environment for him.

 

I agree with this statement. I wasn't able to post earlier, so you beat me to it.

 

Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites







 







IMO, Al K was the one who ruined things.  While very gifted as a filter designer -- just ask him -- he had very little patience or diplomacy skills.  Any disagreement, or merely questioning, was seen by him as a personal attack.  He repeatedly banned himself.  It's unfortunate that the forum lost his expertise, but he was the problem, not the forum.  Without thicker skin, this forum was never going to be a comfortable environment for him.



Several years ago, I clearly recall epsiodes that were not within the spirt of this forum. That being mutual sharing of information & support of our joint hobby. As well as sharing & preserving the legacy of Paul W. Klipsch.

DizRotus comments are very accurate, especially in that we lost expertise however, "ALK chose how he interacted" with the forum. That caused unnecessary caustic outcomes, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...