how much have you spent on interconnects?

minn_male42

ok....i know the low end of the cables...the ones that come in the box with the component....and with some web searching i think i found the most expensive interconnect on the planet...

http://www.nbscables.com/products/new.html

anybody else find anything even more exotic and expensive????

does anybody have a general formula on the ratio on cables to equipment?

or how much do i need to spend on equipment to justify a $10,000 interconnect?

my system:

pioneer elite vsx-24tx receiver

bang & olafson rx-2 turntable

sony dvp-nc650v dvd/sacd/cd changer

philips cdr770 cd recorder

sony 75es dat recorder

pioneer elite ct-05d cassette deck

klf-30 mains

klf-c7 center

rs-3 surrounds

velodyne ct-150 sub

cables in my opinion are more one of the things you buy to say you have. The quality/price ratio drops like a cliff after 30 bucks or so. Sure, you'll notice a difference between Monster Cable and the stuff that comes with your cd player and receivers, but a difference between 200 and 800 dollar speaker cable will be close to inaudible.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Computer uses Promedia 2.1's.

Mike,

You see most post what they think is true,all from the net.

As major audiophile elitist(and proud of it) with actual experience I can tell you cables will improve sometimes the overall performance of a system alot.Alot more then some newbies(we know who they are,and they feel targeted right now! LOL) may think.

I have bassic UltraLink interconects(purchased at the Rat Shack a few years ago),I also have Monster Cable Z Series,M550,M850,M1000 and the infamous M1500(now discontinued).I have Cardas TwinLink,QuadLink and GoldenCross interconects.Tributairies the bassic ones(dont even remember the model)and some regular AudioQuest.All in all I did spend over $10000US on speaker cables and interconects.Speaker cables bring the least change in a system and cost the most!

When listening to a cheapo Denon 3801 and Toshiba 5700 DVD(used as CD player),analog out used.You will be hard pressed to hear a thing when changing wires from the bassic UltraLink and then switching to the GoldenCross.Now takes the same cables and take the Pioneer DVAX10 used as a SACD player then a Celeste MOON amp(W5) and preamp and then you will hear a good gain in transparency and new details.Its hard to put this into mere words,but if you have a $1000 system spending more then $30-40 on interconects is mostly a waste(in general,there are exeptions no doubt).Now take a high resolution two channel system you forked $30000 and unles you dont know how to listen and are hearing impaired you will hear changes,even in blind tests.I dont claim to be the super ears,but I hear changes and a good few do too.

What I found out is a tube preamp or amp will do much more for harsh Klipsch RF7's then the best MIT,Monster Sigma or Transparent speaker cable will ever do.Amp first cables second...this if your source is of top quality.

With Dynaudio and Spendor speaker I can hear cables,as funny as this may seem to some Hi-Loud gear owners.WIth Klipsch RF7's,sound is less agressive and some details pass better.Dyanduio Contours are the most revealing speakers going(that I heard)and I heard alot.In 28 years on this planet I heard more speakers most 50+ year old audiophiles did.

The more transparent the speaker the more change can be heard.

Lets take a last stab at B0$e a company any person with ears loves to hate(in a mild way here).No matter what cables,interconects you will use they will still sound like B0$e in the end.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

"Please post the facts regarding your last statement, 101. Have you tested these cables (objectively and subjectively) yourself? Or are you just going on what someone else has written?" I have used many different cables, ranging from the cheap stuff that came with my sony speakers a long while back, and high end audioquest stuff. Of course you will notice a differnece in sony cable to monster or audioquest, but what I am saying is cables change the quality so minorly, yet cost so much, that your better off upgrading components. $10,000 is alot of money on cables alone. Could buy some nice krell stuff for that much.

"Speaker cables bring the least change in a system and cost the most!"

Isn't that kinda what I said ears? the performance price ration goes down extremely sharp after the mid range priced stuff. I am using some Z series cable right now, and thats all I need.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

I have probably spent about $300 total on interconnects and speaker wire, I guess i'm just cheap. I'm sure spending more will get you improvements, but I doubt I will ever be in a position to spend $10,000 on a interconnect, let alone speaker wire, or even want to if I could.

Regards,

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1987 Khorns Mains

1976 LaScala's Rears

KV-1 Center

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1987 Khorns

Teac CDP

Pioneer TT

I have $2700 into Goertz cabling.

Cables are the single most important part of an audio system.

A cable/component mis-match can spell catastrophe.

Always be sure to buy cables where the crystalline structure of the copper is such that all the molecules are touching. Failure to this means extreme signal loss.

I think Ears should post a picture of himself to prove to us that HE exists!!cwm27.gif

FWIW, I spent about $700 (out of $16,000 total for the whole system)on cables including MITerminator-2 Bi-Wires and Monster interconnects. Not the best stuff in the world, but it works for now. Some better ones are in the crosshairs after I buy the new car. After that I'll have to get the pre-amp & amp of my dreams (not too far from what I have now).

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 09-25-2002 at 01:12 PM

"I think Ears should post a picture of himself to prove to us that HE exists!!"

In fact, I think we need a pic of both Ears and Forest. Wasn't it rumored a while back that they were the same person? Didn't I read that in The Enquirer while in line at the grocery store and the Harvard Business Review was out of stock?

DD

------------------

My System

"Cables are the single most important part of an audio system."

Please tell me your j/k, so if I get my old sony speakers, hook them up to the top of the line audioquest, they will sound better than klipshorns? don't think so.

------------------

New music system:

Please tell me your j/k, so if I get my old sony speakers, hook them up to the top of the line audioquest, they will sound better than klipshorns? don't think so.

No, they'll still sound like Sony's.

Obviously, Dean's post went completely over your young skull.

You know, your kind of a mouthy little bastard.

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 09-25-2002 at 06:20 PM

Jeeeeezzzz Guys -

YOU ARE KILLING ME... I bought the ratometer, the AVIA calibration disk, an IR blasterometer to adjust the stereo for the speakers in the bedroom that are not hooked up..... AND NOW, NOW YOU Tell Me I need and Electron-gap-ometer to test my cables! STOP! STOP!

This message has been edited by cluless on 09-25-2002 at 06:36 PM

"You know, your kind of a mouthy little bastard." you better watch it mike, I've had enough of your snob *** comments. you frickin *****, you have no right callin me a bastard.

------------------

New music system:

I use the 15 % of system cost rule.

S Video...$ 220

Component Video....$120

Preamp 5 channel to amp Esoterec $ 200

DVD Audio Tributaries $ 170

VCR AQ TOPAZ...$ 50

SAT receiver Turquoise...$ 70

Other misc ones(AQ, Better CAbles, Radio Shack) several hundred $

MSB DAC to preamp AQ Coral $110(...actually priceless)

It was the best tweak I have ever done!

I agree with EARS; speaker cable tweaks have been marginal improvements with the exception of biwiring the AQ Type 6+.

I am around the $600 to $700 range in the amount I spent on cables and interconnects (out of the $10,000 or so I have spent total system wide). I don't see me spending a huge amount on cabling and such. I wanted decent cable, something better than the 30 cent stuff that came stock with the component, but not friggan $1000 plus/cable! You know what kind of computer I could buy for that kind of money?

(Hopeing some of these bogus threads get "lost" during the move to the new forum software).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Ok ok I surrender!

I see I have no other choice but post clear 1600*1200 pics of me(TheEAR),ForrestHump,Bob Carver and all my subs with scanned proof of purchase and my "Carte Soleil" and VISA and AMEX cards. LOL

Wait as a proof of my existence I will show you the bald spot on my head. cwm4.gif

And the the inside of my nose!

How about it all?

Sorry if I insult some but I hope you will let me live and welcome me to this board now under siege by LiverLip 101.

TheEAR(s) Now theears