Take just a moment..

Thaddeus Smith

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Ever been to a funeral where tjat was played?  Ever lose a friend or family member who qual8fied to have that played?

I'm guessing not,

Yes and Yes - more than one, more than once.

The object of the thread eludes me but hope to Gawd were not playing taps in honor of the BS thread going down. While not one of the "privileged" 5000 club I imagine it is gone due to its worthiness - None.

13 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Ever been to a funeral where tjat was played?  Ever lose a friend or family member who qual8fied to have that played?

I'm guessing not,

Yes on both parts for me too, about 10 times over the past 6 years or so, mostly my parents' brothers. It really pulls emotions for me. Such a simple tune but means so much.

The most amazing feeling of taps for me is at the Indy 500. 400k people become completely silent, in respect. It always gives me chills. It's an honor to watch a hardcore Marine tear up when that song is played.

• Like 1

A Naval unit did the honors as we laid my best friend of 55 years to rest.  It was a cold, clear day with brilliant sun and light breezes.  The taps musician was incredible and every note played clear and strong, and resounded across the south Arkansas countryside 25 miles from any city or town.  It was followed by a rifle salute done with precision, and the folding and presentation of the flag to his mother.

It was an incredible experience.  

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Ever been to a funeral where that was played?  Ever lose a friend or family member who qualified to have that played?

I'm guessing not,

I have, most recently my grandad who served during the Korean War. Apologies if this was in bad taste and I caused offense, but I guess I was ignorant to the total sacred nature of it.

• Like 2

Yes and Yes - more than one, more than once.

The object of the thread eludes me but hope to Gawd were not playing taps in honor of the BS thread going down. While not one of the "privileged" 5000 club I imagine it is gone due to its worthiness - None.

Well this just ticks me off. First of all it wasn't a privileged anything, and it wasn't a "club". And I really don't think that you can attest to its worthiness since you never experienced it.

3 minutes ago, Mallette said:

A Naval unit did the honors as we laid my best friend of 55 years to rest.  It was a cold, clear day with brilliant sun and light breezes.  The taps musician was incredible and every note played clear and strong, and resounded across the south Arkansas countryside 25 miles from any city or town.  It was followed by a rifle salute done with precision, and the folding and presentation of the flag to his mother.

It was an incredible experience.  

Dave

Very nice Dave.

At my Uncle Pete's funeral 2 years ago, the weather was very nasty, December 23rd in Indiana. cold, wind, snow. The burial part of the funeral wasn't happening that day. Everything was inside the church, then inside the funeral home. Taps was played inside the funeral home, and the gun salute happened right after that but outside. The sound of that bugle playing inside that hall was incredible.