Should we petition for a convention?

WMcD

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klipsch said earlier this year on this forum that they would be present at the next MidWest Audio Fest, a horn oriented event held in Lima Ohio. The next fest will be in Spring of 2003, date not firmed up yet.

At the fest you will see and hear many horns besides your beloved Klipsch; DIY efforts by hobbyists and I presume from makers like Edgar and CAR. I intend to bring my VOTs which by then will be full-blown A5s with JBL horn tweeters augmenting the highs. Lima is just as interesting a town as Indy, which ain't saying much for Lima. :-)

If any of you Klipschies wanna get a room and setup your rigs you're certainly welcome to do so and be part of the fun. This event is intended to be more hobbyist than commercially oriented.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Everyone,

I have been in contact with my favorite crystal ball. Gil has hit it on the head. Klipsch IS waiting to see which way the snowball rolls and it IS up to us to start it. There will be many things to see in Indy and as always, due to safety concerns, the factory tour makes them nervous. The Klipsch Fans Tour went after hours, by the graces of several employees that stayed late on a Friday evening. It has been said that thee are some goodies almost ready to be shown, so "A Visit To The Klipsch Kingdom" this spring could be rewarding indeed.

I have cast my vote, everyone else needs to cast their's as well. We need to be enthusiastic enough to get the attention of upper management, as well.

John

• Klipsch Employees

As most of you know, I am now in Indy. After living in Hope for 20+ years, I really enjoy Indy. There is a lot to do here and many places that have Klipsch as their speaker of choice.

The Lab in Indy is one of the most advanced in the U.S.

We have 5 listing rooms, a full chamber and a half chamber. A complete prototype lab where we can build a finished speaker to test. (From the plastic parts to the paint.)

The new part of the lab is 9000sq ft and the whole building is 27000sq ft.

The library is one of the most complete in the audio field, dating back to the early days of audio. Even the décor is cool, designed by one of the owners, Judy Klipsch.

PWK is remembered and honored in many ways on the Eng. Floor.

As in the last visit, if this happens, I will be honored to help. We had a blast last time! I felt that I made many friends due to that trip. I even found a co-worker(FYI: stevep, from this board, is now the Aragon Tech support hear in Indy) Steve is a great help to us here. Not only does he take care of Mondial, he backs Matt Whatley and myself up on the Klipsch support lines.

I know you all would love to see the plant and museum. Heck, I would like to see the plant again too. They have done a lot of changing there in the last year. But, other than the plant, I think you all would get a better idea of what Klipsch is and how a speaker comes to be, in Indy.

Therefore, I (as a charter member of the Klipsch Fan Club and not a Klipsch employee) vote for Indy.

Plus, if you come up here maybe we can get Indyklipschfan and Matt to play and sing for us. JimG (one of the moderators on the board) has a great band and gigs all the time, he is one heck of a drummer!

I dont know that Klipsch is thinking about this, and I DO NOT speak for them

12.gif

I am sure we/ I might be able to twist Matts arm and I would love to perform with him also. June in Indy, on a weekend, (Just picking a date off the top of my head mid June) 13-15th would be great!

Trey is a good friend of Steve P on here... I have not met him personally yet but if he is of the same caliber person Steve is, I would be happy to co host...the event with him. (Other co hosts pls apply too...We will need a lot of help to pull this off.) Maybe we can get the DIY people or the Chicago horn clubs or anyone else to sets up the horn type events for the same weekend close to Klipsch headquarters so we could also tie it in for a Midwest Audiofest kinda thing!!

If we pettition early enough groups like this, we could make it happen It's only 8 months away till June.

John,

Why dont you start a new thread and call it "RSVP Klipsch BB to Indy". Maybe if we can get enough names in the thread you can swing this deal. I gotta believe if the thread can get longer than this operation Klipsch BB in Indy will be greenlighted by Klipsch.

I'm there.

EJ10.gif

I am all for Indiana, and this is why.

Last night I went to sleep relatively early, 11:15 PM. I quickly fell asleep, it had been a very long day, listening to Ben Folds Live (great CD, comes with a free DVD). So I am jamming away as I fall asleep. I had this dream...

We all (all us board members) met together in Indiana's airport. There Amy Platt (Klipsch ProMedia Technical Support) loaded us onto blue and red buses, two of them. We rode for about one hour till we made a stop at this huge complex, the image is so vivid in my mind still (thanks to Dr. Dickson for teaching me how to do that 1.gif ). Trey Cannon meets up with us and Amy leads us off the bus.

Trey explains to us what we are seeing. All around us is this massive 10 story building shaped (oddly enough) in the W shape of a lascala horn. The buildings, he explains, are the new ones Klipsch was so excited about. They are a caremel color and stuck-oed (spelling) all the way around. Trey tells us, as we walk through the area, that these places (as he points to three ou tof place sections of the building) are the sound chambers where they test any and all klipsch speakers. The larger one has every part needed in it to design, build, and test the speaker so you can have a controlled lab where nothing is needed to do the project that is not allready there, and which helps speed up tweaking that is top of mind. Over to the right, on the end of the W, you can see three logos. They are not very clear, quite fuzzy at first (adjusting still to the change of light). The one second to the left is the KLIPSCH logo with the black oval circumventing it (about 20 feet wide, 7 feet tall). There is another smaller one to the upper left of it that seems almost like not part of any logo, I did not count it as a logo, but a white box with something scribbled on it in black (probably 8x8 feet). The next was the PWK Gold logo and the third I never could get, I suppose it is likely to be a MONDIAL logo.

I turn back to Trey who is leading us towards an entrance, a wall of glass with 4 oversided double doors. The glass goes up to what would be 2 stories high. I notice that Amy is missing... She pops back up as she opens the doors for us. There is a stainless steel staircase that spirals up to the third floor, on this floor she explains is the most complete history of speakers, pretty much of sound. There is a Ford truck around , (I don't know why) one of the classic Model T's.

We wander around there till they call us to follow them. Amy leads us to one of their chambers where they have some new speakers in the works they want to show us. The chamber is silent, completely, but there is a large, very large, pool of water about 2 feet deep that is infront of us about 5 feet, it is say 15x15 foot square. They have a new speaker design that uses a more Avant Garde horn to it, but keeps it about the size of a Belle. The water is used to measure unhearable bass, instead of JUST using an SPL meter, they measure the water movements. The water has all these little silver floating balls in it that we now all notice. This, she explains, helps map out how the bass actually travels throughout the room without have to actually move around. Each ball is put onto a computer which measures the SPL each ball picks up, how much it is moving up, down, left, and right, and the frequency it is measuring from the sound. Then the computer analyzes this and makes a live, streaming wave table of the sound. Even though you don't see the balls moving much, or at all, the computer amplifies their movement so you can visualize what is happening more easily. Another Klipsch employee (no face that I can remember, but someone from the boards) tells us they have used this to make their next gen THX Ultra 2 speaker system. They found some way to get bass down to 8Hz at 109dB out of a contraption about 4x2x3. We see it, just looks like a box to me.

They play the 6.1 system they have created in that chamber for us to hear (it is now just about 10 of us from the previous say 30 that were on the buses...). It sounds great to say the least.

We leave there and are shown another chamber that has a huge cylinder laying on its side. They use this to measure how the sound at different frequency's is amplified using a cylinder that has grooves in it similar to a rifle (they do have grooves right? just going by what Amy was telling me). Some how it amplifies the sound with out a horny sound.

Next they bring us to their park where we see huge trees and green grass, like a haven. My dream starts to get weird from there....

Anyway, that is a real dream I had last night... I wish there was a way to record dreams and put them on a computer so others could understand LoL! But it sure was a fun dream!!!

4.gif4.gif

----------------

On 10/18/2002 6:08:59 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

Next they bring us to their park where we see huge trees and green grass, like a haven. My dream starts to get weird from there....

Anyway, that is a real dream I had last night... I wish there was a way to record dreams and put them on a computer so others could understand LoL! But it sure was a fun dream!!!

----------------

Oh, and it wasn't weird up until that point?? 9.gif You're scaring me, Justin.

Doug

----------------

On 10/18/2002 6:41:34 PM dougdrake wrote:

Oh, and it wasn't weird up until that point??
9.gif
You're scaring me, Justin.

Doug

----------------

Well, at that point we start walking down this green path with the giant trees around us, very tropical looking. we walk all the way till we see some F-150 off road trucks so we start to drive further down, it stops in a beautiful valley, but we can not get out of the trucks because the ground is too soft, we would sink... but the trucks don't.... so we race the trucks back to the top (we had been going down hill) and we finally get back to the second anechoic chamber and that is where i woke up.

16.gif