World Series

DizRotus

When Gattis pinch it for Verlander why didn't Hinch put a pinch runner in for Gattis immediately?  Gattis must be the slowest guy on the team.  When the next batter got a hit, Gattis lumbered to second, THEN they put in a pinch runner.  Had Hinch done that immediately, the runner could have been on third, rather than second. Gattis was a de facto DH; he was not staying in the game.  What could possibly be the strategy behind delaying the pinch runner?

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

When Gattis pinch it for Verlander why didn't Hinch put a pinch runner in for Gattis immediately?

i was wondering the same thing. i’m not so sure i would have removed Verlander. He struggled a bit that inning ... so what. If he told me that he could continue, i would have left him in. 

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What could possibly be the strategy behind delaying the pinch runner?

already thinking of extra innings? I’m not too familiar with their ballclub -- is Gattis their best hitter coming off the bench?

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

— is Gattis their best hitter coming off the bench?

Gattis was their DH, so I presume yes.  Since he was not playing a position, he was done after that at bat, no matter what.  I can see no reason to not pinch run for him immediately.  Someone who knows more than I about baseball, which excludes very few people, please explain Hinch’s thinking there.

I’ll run this by some friends of mine — one a baseball savant, and another a former MLB pitcher — and get back to you.