Maybe my wife is right

TFR1

@wvu80

You did quite well. Got to be an old School guy to know any of this exists.

Brakes are Ceriani 4LS in magnesium.

Grips are Magura bit levers are Tommaselli.

Large rear sprocket was for Hill Climb races.

Wheels are Borrani.

The carb of choice for a racer in 1969 was probably an Amal GP

• Like 1

So I had a couple of hours today to see what I could do with the bottom panel of the previously Black Cornwall's.

First pictures are of the bottom of one cabinet.(both have similar damage) Not sure what type of saw was used, or for what purpose. But almost 3/8" was chopped from the side panel.

I made a new bottom panel and repair sections for the side panels. The new parts will be glued and clamped in place. A little filler and sanding should be all that is needed to prepare for the veneer. Cut one motor board to size. Need to lay out openings and prepare myself for more cutting. 

20180123_180411 copy.jpg

20180123_180417 copy.jpg

20180124_122900 copy.jpg

20180124_122949 copy.jpg

20180124_172722 copy.jpg

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I've wondered if it would help to place the woofer higher on the baffle as done on the newer CW or if too many other changes would need to be made.

Bruce

I think that when they moved the woofer they needed to make changes to the crossover. 

It rained here this afternoon so I had a couple of hours to play with Cornwall Motor Boards.

Bought a circle cutting jig and borrowed a router. I have never had a need for a router and have very little experience. But I am not afraid to try something new.

All rectangular openings were cut with a 3/8" bit. I clamped MDF scrap pieces to use as a router guide.

Worked out quite well.

Now that I have a pattern made, I am going to buy a flush cutting bit that will allow me to duplicate this pattern easily.

Jerry

20180127_162104 copy.jpg

20180127_165354 copy.jpg

20180127_195304 copy.jpg

20180127_200701 copy.jpg

copy.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work.  When i built my CW's i free handed a rotozip to cut all the holes.  Wasn't easy and that thing would just take off in any direction following the softer wood i think.  Alot of fixing goof ups for sure.  Good luck with your project.     Heres an old pic of a pic.

crnw.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Nice work.  When i built my CW's i free handed a rotozip to cut all the holes.  Wasn't easy and that thing would just take off in any direction following the softer wood i think.  Alot of fixing goof ups for sure.  Good luck with your project.     Heres an old pic of a pic.

crnw.jpg

I really appreciate the compliments.

Looks like your cabinets came out very nice.

The layout was not difficult, but cutting was a challenge. I discovered very quickly while practicing on a sample piece that all cuts had to be made in a clockwise  direction. The router was very difficult to control in a ccw direction. 

So every cut had to be planned. That ment many setups of my guideblocks to make sure the cuts were consistent.

Any errors made were easily fixed with light sanding.

Biggest challenge for me was dust control.

A router makes a mess!

Now I must figure out how to apply the walnut veneer I purchased. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jerry

1 hour ago, TFR1 said:

I really appreciate the compliments.

Looks like your cabinets came out very nice.

The layout was not difficult, but cutting was a challenge. I discovered very quickly while practicing on a sample piece that all cuts had to be made in a clockwise  direction. The router was very difficult to control in a ccw direction. 

So every cut had to be planned. That ment many setups of my guideblocks to make sure the cuts were consistent.

Any errors made were easily fixed with light sanding.

Biggest challenge for me was dust control.

A router makes a mess!

Now I must figure out how to apply the walnut veneer I purchased. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jerry

maybe that was my issue as well.  cut in the wrong direction.    cant help you with the veneer.   I would like to do a color change on mine as i'm tired of the red mohagany.  Need to remove 3 or 4 layers of poly first.     Good luck with your project.

What type of backing is on the veneer?  Wood, paper, phenolic, etc?  If wood or paper backed, the Heat Lock glue with iron method works well.  If phenolic backed, like the veneer I used on my Belle's I built, then contact cement is the only way to go.  You need a good sharp router bit for the edges or the edge banding blade for a good cut and then light corner sanding.

• Thanks 1

@avguytx

I purchased paper backed veneer.

The process is just a little intimidating.

After all the effort to rescue cabinets, I am just a bit nervous. Mistakes in veneer would seem difficult to fix.

Any suggestions for reading material?

I think I've watched a couple of dozen YouTube videos.

Jerry

Main thing would be is do some small test veneer pieces on similar plywood.  Make a small box, maybe one foot square, and cover top, sides, and bottom and then edge band the edges.  Trim and sand it along the way, too.   Thatll give you some practice before the big cabinet if you've never done veneer before. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2018 at 7:06 AM, TFR1 said:

You did quite well. Got to be an old School guy to know any of this exists.

Brakes are Ceriani 4LS in magnesium.

Grips are Magura but levers are Tommaselli.

Large rear sprocket was for Hill Climb races.

Wheels are Borrani.

The carb of choice for a racer in 1969 was probably an Amal GP

As a teenager I raced MX back in the late '60s and early '70's.  I had a fascination with all things European, bikes, racing, lifestyle.  I followed the road racing even though I never had any interest in racing myself.

I would never have known those were Ceriani brakes, and certainly not magnesium.  Very cool.  That's funny the bike has an Amal GP carb.  Those things were dribblers (leaked gas all over) if I recall. 

I'm loving your restoration projects, both bike and speaker.  It is a tragedy to me when a wonderful speaker is set out to the trash after being abused and neglected by its owner for years.  It's great when one can be brought back to life and enjoyed.  :emotion-21:

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm loving your restoration projects, both bike and speaker.  It is a tragedy to me when a wonderful speaker is set out to the trash after being abused and neglected by its owner for years.  It's great when one can be brought back to life and enjoyed.  :emotion-21:

@wvu80

My son stopped by yesterday and made a comment about how convenient it was to have an adjustable height workbench. 

I told him that I agreed, but it was not my plan. The Egli-Vincent frame just went to the plating shop and the motorcycle lift was the only available horizontal space when I started on the Cornwall project. 

Jerry

• Like 1

Today I made a pattern of MDF and the made another 3/4" birch motor board.

It is chilly today, but moved things outdoors to eliminate the dust problems.

The 3/4" material seems better suited to use as a template than the 1/4" MDF.

May need to make another template from thicker material.