Maybe my wife is right

TFR1

Worked on applying veneer this afternoon. My work pace is much slower than I planned. So many ways to make a mistake I find that I am checking, checking and checking again. Getting perfect veneer match from panel to panel is not an easy task.

All the veneer trimming has been done with an exacto knife, not a router and a flush trim bit. Have almost no experience with a router. It seemed more sensible to use a blade, even though it is quite a bit slower, it seemed a good way to avoid a big mistake.

I still need to finish the second cabinet. 

Jerry

Cornwall Cabinet 1 copy.jpg

Cornwall Cabinet 4.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TFR1 said:

I am not finished yet, but I think it worth noting that my wife now has conceded that the Cornwall's were worth saving!:D

Might need to change the thread title to ....I know my wife is wrong!

Jerry

If you give it some serious thought, she was right the first time, and she is right again, even after changing her mind.:)

• Like 1

Finished applying the veneer to second Cornwall Cabinet this evening.

My hands hurt and I have Bandaids on three fingers. I am so glad that this part of the project is complete.

The cabs will sit for a week. Then the finishing process begins.  Probably will use an oil finish, but I need to do some reading. 

Any suggestions?

All of the feedback is appreciated.:D

Jerry

Cornwall cabs veneered  1.jpg

Cornwall cabs veneered 2.jpg

Cornwall cabs veneered 3.jpg

Cleaned up my work space this morning. 

I just thought those thinking about refinishing a cabinet should know that anyone with desire and ability to focus on the details can do this.

Several times in this thread I have mentioned that I am not a cabinet maker and have almost no experience working with wood. You need a good eye for fit and finish details. Seeking the advice of others is essential. Practice first, not on your project. Remember that even an expert makes mistakes, they just know how to fix or hide them.

The pile of tools in the photo below, plus a tape measure and a long straight edge, are just about all I used to apply the veneer.

jerry

Tools needed to apply veneer.jpeg