For all you slimy Airdales and Landlubbers....

jimjimbo

Hot at the equator? It was cold up north! I always wished CV-66 ventured across the equator wit me aboard.

Yo, AT2! Free advice from CVIC and a member of the sighting team....this lowly Intel guy think you should remove your SSN from that picture posted on a public website. 

IMG_20180124_064039.thumb.jpg.137e3bf427eaba20c48d41a7146f3d03.jpg

24 minutes ago, USNRET said:

because it weighs less than the same volume of water it displaces—because its average density is less than that of the water that surrounds it.

My cousin who went to The Webb Institute, ( a double major in Naval Architecure & Marine Engineering is all that is offered),  would be proud of that answer.

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

because it weighs less than the same volume of water it displaces—because its average density is less than that of the water that surrounds it.

1 hour ago, RT FAN said:

My cousin who went to The Webb Institute, ( a double major in Naval Architecure & Marine Engineering is all that is offered),  would be proud of that answer.

He only knows that from reading....since he's never set foot on a real ship.....and has the nerve to call me a boot camp newbie and a conehead as well.....

3 hours ago, USNRET said:

So if the average density is the same it then sinks?

JJK

• 2 months later...

Hey shipmates @USNRET @jimjimbo dragging this old Navy thread back to the top to recommend a fantastic book. Good for landlubbers too.

The Terrible Hours is not just about a terrifying sub stuck at the bottom of the ocean but of a guy (Charles "Swede" Momsen) I can't believe is not a universally known household name. Fantastic true story about an amazing guy

9780786224272-us-300.jpg

On 1/24/2018 at 12:07 PM, CECAA850 said:

But will it take off?

YES!  (true story)  When I was a kid, I had an aircraft carrier model ship.  Probably three feet long.  I was also into rockets so strapped a rocket to the back of the carrier.  Went down to the creek and was going to power the ship down a fairly long and calm part of the water....  lit fuse....  ship took off, then went airborne!!!  DId a view crazy circles in the air since it didn't have any wings or rudders to guide it...  then (and I forget how/where) it came to an abrupt harsh landing.....sat there....then FFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTT BOOM, the backcharge (to deploy the parachute) went off for the final glory.

So, yes....  the carrier might take off....  unless of course, it's on a conveyor belt??

:ph34r2: