KLF Home Theater

vasubandu

Classic paralysis by analysis.   You can drive yourself and others crazy.  One persons opinion basically means nothing when it comes to what sounds pleasing to you.  Grab a set or 2 of speakers and see what YOU like about them and go from there.  The fun is in the journey not the planning.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, vasubandu said:

What if I tried some of the cheaper Klipsch speakers I see locally.

I can't answer that with a simple yes or no. What I know is that to know anything it takes experience. I am into 2 channel, rather than HT, that's why I said that Forte is a great starting point. I haven't heard the Axiom speakers, but I will still bet that the Klipsch will not sound similar.

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I believe I've given this link to you a couple times already

I think you did , but I did not look at it enough.  Thanks for resending it.  That actually has a lot of the information that I have been looking for.  I can't believe I was stupid enough to miss it. I can easily put together a spreadsheet with the information it has, which is quite a bit.

If anyone wants to see what the barebones beginning looks like, it can be found here.  I will try to get the data for everything on the page in this weekend. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y14jh9xctrhvw09/Klipsch.xlsx?dl=0

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Close the spread sheet and open your ears.

I have owned just about all the big older Klipsch. 

KP-201, KP-250, KP-301, KP-2000, THX Ultra2 7.2

RB-5, RB-75, RF-5, RF-63, RF-83, RF-7ii, RC-64, RC-7

KG 4, KG 4.2, KG 5.5, KLF-C7, KLF-20, KLF-30, KV-4

Quartet, Forte, Forte II, Chorus, Chorus II, academy

Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, Klipschorn

I spent a lot of time looking at specs.  I spent many late nights searching CL for various speakers and cast a WIDE net.

About 13 hours each way is the farthest I have driven to pick up speakers.  I let the OCD take over and I spent more time searching and driving than enjoying.

Then, I developed a hearing issue and developed significant hearing in one ear.

I now have a huge audio collection that will never sound the same.

Pick something and LISTEN to it and enjoy it.  Your ears are unique as people's taste in music.  I have never heard a spec, a scratch, a drink ring or a dinged cabinet.

I have heard differences.  I have heard more bass punch or a better midrange, etc.

I have had people pay me more for Heresy than Forte, because they had a pair of Heresy growing up. 

Sound wise I would pick the Forte (regardless of model) over the Heresy every time.

If it doesn't make you smile and grin a little when you sit down to listen to it, then you haven't found the "one" yet.

Part of the journey is trying to figure out what you like (and don't like).  Not all speakers will sound good in all rooms.

Some will sound better for movies than music, some will sound better with rock than jazz, etc.

Some people will swear you need a specific amp, etc.  You can head down all the rabbit holes you want.  

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the specs say, it doesn't matter if people say this one is better. 

Sit down and enjoy the sound, that is what matters.  

All that being said.  When I downsize, I will be holding on to my mahogany KLF-30, Forte i/ii, Chorus II, and La Scala.

If I have room for one more, the Belle.  I have always had sellers remorse when selling La Scala.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I did that to myself in trying to find Belles over the last 15 years. Never any around or decent. So, I just built 'em. Not that this applies here but I know what you mean in over thinking things. But I'm happy now. Within a year, im hoping our new house will be built and I'll have a dedicated room for my stuff. The journey was fun, at times, but I'm glad they're done. 

And I'm glad I don't do HT/surround stuff anymore. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vasubandu said:

If anyone wants to see what the barebones beginning looks like, it can be found here.  I will try to get the data for everything on the page in this weekend. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y14jh9xctrhvw09/Klipsch.xlsx?dl=0

That looks like a good start.  There should also be a column for MSRP and one for notes.  You should abbreviate MDF instead of spelling it out.

You also need to differentiate between CF-4 models maybe with a comments section.  The v2 and v3 use a shorter port.  I believe the v3 uses a different woofer and different crossover.

You'll find the section on the CF-3/4 to be the easy part.  The hard part is when you try to document 70 years of Khorns with all the different components, crossovers, enclosure material changes and even enclosure design changes.

The La Scala will be even harder to document due to commercial and home versions.

It's a BIG job.

5 hours ago, opusk2k9 said:

I have owned just about all the big older Klipsch. 

KP-201, KP-250, KP-301, KP-2000, THX Ultra2 7.2

RB-5, RB-75, RF-5, RF-63, RF-83, RF-7ii, RC-64, RC-7

KG 4, KG 4.2, KG 5.5, KLF-C7, KLF-20, KLF-30, KV-4

Quartet, Forte, Forte II, Chorus, Chorus II, academy

Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, Klipschorn

I spent a lot of time looking at specs.  I spent many late nights searching CL for various speakers and cast a WIDE net.

About 13 hours each way is the farthest I have driven to pick up speakers.  I let the OCD take over and I spent more time searching and driving than enjoying.

Then, I developed a hearing issue and developed significant hearing in one ear.

I now have a huge audio collection that will never sound the same.

Pick something and LISTEN to it and enjoy it.  Your ears are unique as people's taste in music.  I have never heard a spec, a scratch, a drink ring or a dinged cabinet.

I have heard differences.  I have heard more bass punch or a better midrange, etc.

I have had people pay me more for Heresy than Forte, because they had a pair of Heresy growing up. 

Sound wise I would pick the Forte (regardless of model) over the Heresy every time.

If it doesn't make you smile and grin a little when you sit down to listen to it, then you haven't found the "one" yet.

Part of the journey is trying to figure out what you like (and don't like).  Not all speakers will sound good in all rooms.

Some will sound better for movies than music, some will sound better with rock than jazz, etc.

Some people will swear you need a specific amp, etc.  You can head down all the rabbit holes you want.  

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the specs say, it doesn't matter if people say this one is better. 

Sit down and enjoy the sound, that is what matters.  

All that being said.  When I downsize, I will be holding on to my mahogany KLF-30, Forte i/ii, Chorus II, and La Scala.

If I have room for one more, the Belle.  I have always had sellers remorse when selling La Scala.

@opusk2k9   

B,

You also had a lot of driving time with your daughter in the car. Spending time with her, just the 2 of you is worth more than the collection of speakers you have. And it is an amazing collection. So the journey for you is immeasurable.

Mark

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, vasubandu said:

Any idea for the general consensus on the quality of the KLF?  And by that I mean like the KLF center versus the RC-7.  This guy uses KLF-20 for surrounds, which would blow my RS-7 away.  I did not mention it, but this set is in my state, so I could drive over and get it.  I had a great talk with the owner, and he would cut me a deal.  But would a jump to KLF-30, KL-20 and KLF-C7 be up down or sideways from RF-7 i, RC-7, and RS-7 if you know or have any thoughts. Assume I could the KLF set for $1,800, at which point it would costs the same as the RF set.

The KLF-30 / 20 will best the RF-7 RS-7 IMO but the KLF-C7 is a few steps behind the RC-7. Question is are you willing to put up with a lesser center speaker for perfect timbre matching? The center speaker in a home theater provides the dialogue, roughly 60+% of the movie watching experience so I personally would want the best I can find, which arguably you already have. As far as the KSP-S6 surrounds I also found those to be quite inferior to the RS-7's-- the RS-7's have a huge, very clear and detailed yet warm sounding midrange, the S6 is very small sounding in comparison and less detailed.

Really, the best part of the deal is the KLF-30's but I would not waste them on theater use, pick them up for your 2 channel rig where you will actually utilize and appreciate what they have to offer. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  Still not sure about importance of timber matching.  For music I would look heritage,  maybe Chorus with Heresy or Forte for center.  I know I am pushing things with a center but makes sense to me. RF-5 with rc-7 tweeters to compliment rc-7 and rs-7 still seems to make most sense. Drop left and right to 8 inches to match the rest.