Bad woofer or bad crossover? 88 la scala

Olomana

19 minutes ago, Deang said:

The Type A is 6dB/octave all the way around - it unloads a lot of power to the tweeter. It works great for low level listening, and/or smaller rooms. The sound is very crisp and dynamic. For my environment - it’s my favorite. 

The Type AA has a 18dB/octave tweeter filter, so less power is being delivered to the tweeter at any given volume level (when compared to the Type A). So, it’s a little more forgiving at live listening levels - and doesn’t stress the tweeter as much. 

Wow, I had never heard that before.  I was under the impression the only difference between the Type A and AA was simply the addition of zenner diodes to the AA to protect the tweeters.  Obviously not.

Great explanation and thanks, I just adjusted my personal database with the correct information. 

Dave, PK added the zeners because early solid state had nasty turn on/off transients - and were taking out tweeters by the boatload. Back then, Klipsch had a lifetime warranty - and Klipsch was taking a beating by having to replace them. These days, the zeners aren’t necessary - unless you’re running a Phase Linear or Dynaco 400!

3 minutes ago, Deang said:

These days, the zeners aren’t necessary - unless you’re running a Phase Linear or Dynaco 400!

I must have blown 6 or 7 of the diaphragms in the T35s in my four Speakerlab SKhorns in the 70s using a Dynaco 400 (300 Watts/channel into the four ohm load).  In those days a call to EV would have a new diaphragm and an invoice in the mail immediately.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Wow, I had never heard that before.  I was under the impression the only difference between the Type A and AA was simply the addition of zenner diodes to the AA to protect the tweeters.  Obviously not.

Great explanation and thanks, I just adjusted my personal database with the correct information. 

Good stuff, that's exactly why I asked....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Agree.

I've never heard the Type AL-3 but it has a reputation for being a good one.  I have owned Type AA in La Scala and Khorns.  It is a very smooth, very listenable crossover at all SPL levels. 

Good job of troubleshooting that woofer problem, and welcome to the Klipsch forums!

Yeah you have. That's what I run.  :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Due to the selection of parts to add a sag in the tweeter response just above 6k (EQ) the slope of the tweeter filter below 6k is actually 21 Db/octave.  It is good protection for a K-77-M tweeter.  

Thank you for your help.  excited to call Bob and make my order, gonna go with the type A crossover.   Don't you hate it when work get in the way with ordering stereo gear or a new album.

I saw an interesting thread about transforming the AL to a AA or something like that for less than $150?  I may try this in the summer when I have time to find my soldering iron. 

• Like 1