Gaming PCs, my 14 year old wants to build one?

JL Sargent

I have never built a "gaming PC" but have built a number of performance desktops. I got the processors at a discount from Intel (my employer) the rest of the parts were purchased from Newegg, Tiger Direct or Amazon. 

TomsHardware.com is a pretty good place to compare performance of various components to maximize performance per $ spent.  And also to help troubleshoot any issues which may arise during the build. Hope he enjoys the activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

My son has been saving his money and has amassed $1000 so far towards this end. All said and done, he is looking at approx $2000 worth of PC

I'm not sure of the budget, $1k or $2K?

Bad time to build a gaming PC.  There is shortage of video cards right now due to Bitcoin mining, which makes the supply short and the prices high.  Also, RAM is expensive right now.

Linus Tech Tips has expertly chosen components.  He also has great shootouts on gaming mice and gaming keyboards.  Picking the right monitor (or 2 or 3) is also an important consideration with a gaming PC.  And don't forget the audio.  B)

• Like 1

Might suggest he email my son.  He's sixteen and loves to discuss such things.  When he was 13 I gave him a good gaming PC and when he was 15 he rebuilt it from the ground up for a lot less than 2k and it is formidable.  This year, he replaced it with a gaming laptop for convenience.  I am using his "old" one right now.  It renders 3D, like my new HT and such, very, very well.  

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Might suggest he email my son.  He's sixteen and loves to discuss such things.  When he was 13 I gave him a good gaming PC and when he was 15 he rebuilt it from the ground up for a lot less than 2k and it is formidable.  This year, he replaced it with a gaming laptop for convenience.  I am using his "old" one right now.  It renders 3D, like my new HT and such, very, very well.  

Dave

Which applications?

JJK

12 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I presume you mean the 3D.  I use Sketchup with VRay rendering.  I get both at education pricing as UA faculty, so it's affordable and fits my needs.

Dave

I was figuring that the software was where the money is.

JJK

• Like 1