Hope to Score These

Rivernuggets

Sorry you missed out! If I find something I'm really interested in I usually don't discuss price until I'm standing in front of it, sometimes it's hard for a seller to turn down an offer when the cash is right there in front of them, especially if they've already had a lot of tire kickers or no show flakes. Doesn't sound like this would have helped you in this situation though. 

On 2/10/2018 at 4:27 PM, jjptkd said:

Sorry you missed out! If I find something I'm really interested in I usually don't discuss price until I'm standing in front of it, sometimes it's hard for a seller to turn down an offer when the cash is right there in front of them, especially if they've already had a lot of tire kickers or no show flakes. Doesn't sound like this would have helped you in this situation though. 

I see what you're saying. At the same time I've had decent luck confirming with the seller "I'll be there with xx amount in cash". That method has helped me secure past sales, sometimes when other Craigslisters are in front of me.

Lyle,

Are you certain the other guy showed up with cash?  Would it hurt to confirm?

I ALWAYS offer a small non refundable PayPal deposit to hold an item for an agreed to time.  If the deal falls through for any reason, the seller keeps the deposit.  You can still negotiate or pull out after seeing the item, but you’re protected against a faster buyer with cash, and the seller is protected against a no show.  I insist upon the same as a seller.  If a prospective buyer is unwilling, I make it clear the item will be sold to the first person with cash.

This was learned the hard way.  Twice I accepted  sellers’ offers only to later learn faster, or more, cash had beaten me.  Sad to say, both sellers were well known forum members.

For a nominal sum the seller buys an option to purchase for a stated and agreed to time period.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Are you certain the other guy showed up with cash?  Would it hurt to confirm?

No I haven't confirmed. Just noticed the ad is gone. The seller was keeping interested buyers in order, and giving each the option to pass before moving to the next. I'll drop the seller an email.

Your Paypal scenario is a great idea Neil. I'll try it with future CL transactions.