Room Size and Volume Level: OK for Chorus or Forte I/II?

BNR_1

Hi Folks:

First posting for me.  Been a lurker for most parts.

I am interested in getting a pair of Chorus I or Forte I or Forte II speakers for my listening enjoyment.  I have not listened to neither of these speakers, but read so often the positive feedback on these speakers.  I have an opportunity to purchase one of these speakers.  I will be using a tube amp & preamp to drive the speakers.  Most of the listening will be jazz, blues, and classic rock.  No hard metal, etc.  Most of my listening is done at lower levels.  Levels that you can enjoy the listening while reading.  If the volume knob points to 7 o'clock for zero sound level then my listening levels are usually around 9/10 o'clock.  About 80% of my music is digital and the rest is LPs.   

My dilemma is whether my listening area is too small.  The speakers will be placed near a corner of my living room.  The room is shaped like an "L" lying on its side.  The room is 12 feet deep (shallow leg) by 18 feet, and it opens up to the longer end about 22 feet deep.  The room has an 8 foot  ceiling height.  The face of the speakers will be about 10 feet from my couch along a corner wall and speakers will be about 6 feet center-to-center.  My couch is against a wall, 8 feet long, running parallel to the 18 feet wall.  The room is entirely carpeted.  I can probably afford to have the back of the speakers no further than 6 to 9 inches away from the wall.  I know that matters for the rear passive speakers in the Forte II.

I am leaning towards the Chorus I, but I am concerned that the speaker maybe too large for this room and it will not be driven to the sweet spot for listening pleasures since the volume will be set somewhat low.

I read some of the postings on this forums site and others, but most speak of larger rooms or rooms that are perfectly rectangle or square in shape.  My listening area is a combination living room and dining room ("L" shape). 

Regards

Edited by BNR_1
Correct measurements of listening area.

• Moderators

Any of the 3 will be fine in your room, I have the 2 Forte models you said but not the Chorus, but the Chorus is also highly sought after and maby a little harder to find.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

Tractrix horns in the Forte II's and Chorus II's.

You sit so close, and the speakers so close together -- combined with not being able to get much space off of the wall -- I think the Forte II's will work better for you.

... or ... just buy some LaScalas. :-)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Deang said:

Tractrix horns in the Forte II's and Chorus II's.

You sit so close, and the speakers so close together -- combined with not being able to get much space off of the wall -- I think the Forte II's will work better for you.

... or ... just buy some LaScalas. :-)

I was thinking the limited distance to the wall was one reason working against the Forte II.

Appreciate your input.

6 hours ago, BNR_1 said:

I did not mention the Chorus II because I was only referring to speakers that are within my drive distance.

Fair enough. I personally love the tractrix horn on the forte II and chorus II better than the older exponential horn. I feel like the older style horn, the midrange is very shouty at your face and the tractrix horn is more open.

+ on the Chorus II's, especially if you are listening at low levels.  Mine right now are in a 225 sq ft office and I have to keep my volume low.  Those big woofers really play nice at lower volumes, don't feel like I'm missing anything on the bottom end just because the volume is low.  You have plenty of space for them in your case.

My office is small at 10x15, I still enjoy the Forte II in here, although they sound even better in a larger room.  I've had them hooked up in the living room as a comparison to my RF-7II and they were quite good in there.  Living room is 14x22 if it was a closed room, but it's wide open to the rest of the house.

Oddly I have the Forte II on the 15' wall in the office due to our furniture arrangement, so far from ideal.  This mostly effects the bass response when in the listening position - there just isn't much there.  When sitting off to sides at our desks and play ambient sort of music the bass sounds good.  I'm sitting 7 feet away from them in the LP,  speakers only 70" apart (center to center).  They sound amazing, but for the bass.  I don't mind it at all, I can always put a small sub back in here to supplement for the listening position, but I don't really feel the need.