Share your road trips!

rockhound

I had a pair of KG4 speakers once. Painted black and I removed the paint to see what as underneath. Very nice Walnut veneer with a bondo'd corner. I ordered a gallon of tintable Duratex just to see what might be done with something other than straight black. Had it tinted medium brown and they looked pretty sharp. Black does not have to be the only color available and it is an option besides veneer. Raw birch is fine too and I had a pair of La Scalas I stripped down and coated with satin spar polyurethane and they looked really good. That's even cheaper than having to paint them black and what imperfections there were did not detract from the end result.. It just seems a shame to me such a great product has so little public presence and suffers accordingly in the market place.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I am not sure what I am going to do. I have heard so much about these that I will set them up and have a listen at least once. I do have space for them in my shop if I put them on wheels so they can be moved when needed. These are in great shape and came with a crossover so I can plug them up with my single Crown amp and let them rip.

That's what I would do, I made a simple frame with 2x4's that have wheels on them and the MWM sits on it and they roll easily. Plus I have forks for the tractor so I just scoop them up and move them into the yard for for parties, works great. This is not 1900's for sure, its factory built bass bins I got to measure to make the MWM's from Oak hardwood plywood for the living room with 402 horns. After I was done measuring these bins were extra so I made a yard setup, which will go in my new shop when I build it. It's like a diy split LaScala on top with aa crossovers in the top cabinet with one single MWM bin for each top, and it sounds good. Here is a pic taking them out to put in the yard, you can somewhat see the frame under them with wheels.

mwm..jpg

• Like 2

My other option is to pair a 402 horn with the 456 bass bin. If in fact it will even need it. The 450's I have are really nice and the 456 horn may be all I need and a much smaller foot print. Never heard an MCM before so who knows. The specs say the 456/450 digs deeper in bass and since I like organ music that is important.  Maybe I should keep both heh heh.

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

image.png.2086e8c833cd0447b8d61aa7ff5df3ef.pngMy kitchen

I don't see the black klipsch speakers....

In your kitchen.... You worked with a poor designer...

Everything happens in the kitchen.... And that's where

You do all of your entertainment...

With friends and family....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

That's what I would do, I made a simple frame with 2x4's that have wheels on them and the MWM sits on it and they roll easily. Plus I have forks for the tractor so I just scoop them up and move them into the yard for for parties, works great. This is not 1900's for sure,  its factory built bass bins I got to measure to make the MWM's from Oak hardwood plywood for the living room with 402 horns. After I was done measuring these bins were extra so I made a yard setup, which will go in my new shop when I build it. It's like a diy split LaScala on top with aa crossovers in the top cabinet with one single MWM bin for each top, and it sounds good. Here is a pic taking them out to put in the yard, you can somewhat see the frame under them with wheels.

mwm..jpg

Small portable sound system...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, babadono said:

Let me get this straight. I have an ego problem because I don't want to fill my home with big ugly(only my opinion I know) black boxes? Whatever.

I hope it was not from something I said ?

If so it's definitely not how it was meant, to me ego has nothing to do with it, it's what people like. Myself I like the wood color over the black finish, some like the black.

And if someone thinks it's an ego thing to bad, that's there problem. I have kind of got that attitude before because we like big speakers, to bad it's our house we do what we want is how I feel.

We have a saying here, if you are offended by anything at all,  please don't offend yourself again by coming back.

But I'm not going to lie, if black was my only choice I would still have them.

• Like 1

All right guys you can choose to beat me up over ugly but this is what I am told when sell speakers.Wives that come with spouses here to buy speakers ( he is the one interested) may like the sound but would rather have a pair of pretty smaller Fortes than big ugly black boxes that sound far better. Perhaps I should reword my comment to be many people who have pretty speakers have never heard Pro line speakers which only come in black. So yes I like pretty veneer, who wouldn't but I like sound far better and there is no veneered speaker that comes even close to the better Pro and Jubilees. I base this on my own listening experience and until I got these KP-450's I just had no idea of the better world of sound out there. 

But yes for those who come here to buy Fortes and Chorus and Cornwall speakers any flaws are grounds for getting beat up in price and the big black ugly boxes get a pass. So pretty counts in a big way with my customers over sound quality as long as there is a good level of sound quality. They choose appearance over sound when both are side by side to compare and this is not conjecture it is my real life experience.

Moderator if you found my comments offensive please remove them and I will re do my road trip post. Otherwise I have said all I am going to and we will just have to agree to disagree. It is surprising the quicksand you can step into with people whom you never intended to do so.

6 minutes ago, Dave A said:

It is surprising the quicksand you can step into with people whom you never intended to do so.

Really?  That surprises you?  You do realize that this is the interweb, and that when you post ANYTHING, you step into quicksand with EVERYONE.

25 minutes ago, babadono said:

I did not mean to cause a ruckus, no offense was really taken. Perhaps I read too much into "not liking black speakers = ego problem".

We're all good as far as I'm concerned.

They are made in different finishes... Other than black