Taming the K 53 K.

CECAA850

14 minutes ago, JohnA said:

The tweeter should be pretty hot, too. 

I really can't tell by looking at the schematic.  I took painters easy release masking tape and covered the grill over the tweeter then over the squawker.  Covering the squawker seemed to help the most, that's what started this whole line of questioning.

What you really have to compare is sensitivity.  The H2 is about 96 db at 1 watt.  The ported versions are around 102 db at one watt.  So, the ported versions, you would have to attenuate the midrange about 6db less to match the output of the woofer compared to the Heresy II.  Anyway, the attenuation on the H2 is 10db.  On the ported versions the attenuation is 3db, a difference of 7db.  They have is set to 3db on the ported versions, so pretty close to the calculated 6db.

14 minutes ago, BEC said:

What you really have to compare is sensitivity.  The H2 is about 96 db at 1 watt.  The ported versions are around 102 db at one watt.  So, the ported versions, you would have to attenuate the midrange about 6db less to match the output of the woofer compared to the Heresy II.  Anyway, the attenuation on the H2 is 10db.  On the ported versions the attenuation is 3db, a difference of 7db.  They have is set to 3db on the ported versions, so pretty close to the calculated 6db.

It seems that you're saying they made the squawker louder on the 250 to keep up with the more sensitive ported woofer.  If that were the case then the speaker should still sound balanced correct?  For some reason it doesn't but sounds midrange prominent.

Maybe just turn the treble down a little on your preamp? When I recapped my Belles, at first they were just too hot at the squawker for my taste. Adjusting the tone controls on my pre seemed to do a good job of correcting for it. After several hours of break in, the problem seemed to lessen.

It certainly needs something.
Before I replaced my crossovers, I had bass and midrange issues. I tried dealing with the bass issues a couple different ways. One of the ways I tried dealing with the midrange was the ping pong balls. It was cheap and had nothing to lose.

I looked around to make sure nobody was looking....and tried it with no success.

New crossovers from Bob fixed everything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Maybe just turn the treble down a little on your preamp? When I recapped my Belles, at first they were just too hot at the squawker for my taste. Adjusting the tone controls on my pre seemed to do a good job of correcting for it. After several hours of break in, the problem seemed to lessen.

I tried tone controls and it really didn't cut it.  Caps are brand new but I used the same brand on some H2's with no issue.

That KP-250 midrange circuit is the same as the circuit that Bob uses for the titanium mids bandpass circuit.

The pro version isn't voiced to be "balanced". It's designed for more power handling and midrange output to carry voice. So, stage monitors and side fill duty. The idea is to have voice "cut through".

Maybe just build a H II network and call it a day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 6:44 PM, Deang said:

He's going to try the L-pads first. Maybe he'll get lucky.

Bumping this.  I got one speaker done yesterday and hoping to get the other one done today so that I can give them a good listen tomorrow. 

For the record, these did exactly what I wanted them to.  I would certainly recommend this as an alternative to modifying your crossovers if for nothing else than ease of adjustment.  I could hear no negative artifacts from this mod.  Adding resistors, changing taps and caps for attenuation might be the preferred method but it would be time consuming and much more expensive.  The speakers are MUCH more listenable now.  Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

• Like 1