New Klipschorn owner

Well soon to be that is. Hopefully driving 5 hours (one way) on Saturday to pick up what looks to be a very nice pair of 1973 Khorns. Not only is this my first time owning a pair, but it will be my first time even listening to a klipschorn. I've heard all the buzz, but it's still hard to know what to expect. They will be going on the short wall of a 15 X 26 ft dedicated room. Any and all advice on transport issues, placement or anything else klipschorn related is welcome in this thread.

Shakey

• Like 3

I'm so excited for you. I always enjoy reading the post that go; Should I or shouldn't I, I think I'm gonna do it, I can't wait this XXX day. All that is left is the report back post pick-up. I remember my same situation. I'll never own a pair, holly cow there is a pair close enough for me to drive, can you believe I own Khorns. It will be fun to hear your adventure there and back and initial impressions.

Truth be told, you might be a tad disappointed at first. Your expectations are so high how could they possibly be matched? I'd never heard a pair till I went to buy mine. I was expecting world changing, earth shaking, audio heavens opening up, etc. I remember thinking my khorns are great, but not a world apart from my Forte IIs or Original Chorus. Just the other day I dragged my Forte IIs back in front of my Khorns in and was in love with the Khorns all over again. But I do remember the first few songs not feeling like it was a 180 degree difference/improvement and wondering about the point of diminishing  returns. A couple of days in, hearing your old favorites for the "first time" will make it all worth it. I do predict you will love them. Based on your room picture in the other post I bet you will be surprised how "small" they actually become. You will probably have more usable space over the FIII/bass trap combo.

You also look like you have some quality gear so good news there. The Khorns are not very forgiving. An iPod and AVR is not the way to feed those beasts. They can brutal on the garbage returned from garbage in. LOUD garbage, but garbage non the less. I'd suggest you not get too anxious about swapping XOs changing drivers/horns. Use them, get to know them, find out what you don't like if anything. Then, swap stuff out as you find it necessary not just for the sake of change.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

to pick up what looks to be a very nice pair of 1973 Khorns.

A minor clarification, the S/N is 9P847 and 48.  The letter P indicates 1976.

The picture of your listening room from the Garage Sale thread would be helpful here as well.  It looks like you have ideal corners for those Khorns.

2 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

What will you be picking them up in?  Lots of blankets?  Extra muscle for loading?

You're in for a treat.....that bass should delight!

I have rented a dodge caravan. The owner will help load, I'll have help on the other end to unload.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have rented a dodge caravan. The owner will help load, I'll have help on the other end to unload.

I scooted mine on a bare wood floor.  You can put down a large beach towel, walk the Khorns onto the towel and pull.  They move easily. 

Oh, if you like beer get the khorns loaded up and spend the night in Ashville, if you like big fireplaces and indoor swimming pools tour the Biltmore. I prefer all the beer joints. There is a beer tour in a large van with about 10-12 others you can hit several good breweries, have your own driver and sample till your heart is content. Lots of good food too. Coffee shop in a double decker British bus that is decent too. You can't miss it if walking around town. Great town!

• Like 1

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby or on the way, they have some surprisingly decent moving blankets for cheap. I grabbed a few when I picked up 4 Belle's. They have come in handy many times since then as well......

Link

37 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

A minor clarification, the S/N is 9P847 and 48.  The letter P indicates 1976.

The picture of your listening room from the Garage Sale thread would be helpful here as well.  It looks like you have ideal corners for those Khorns.

Pics of room for posterity......

IMG_0388.JPG

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TasDom said:

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby or on the way, they have some surprisingly decent moving blankets for cheap.

Always, always, always have at least two of these in my vehicle.....cause, you never know......

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Always, always, always have at least two of these in my vehicle.....cause, you never know......

Never know what? When you gotta kill someone and you don't want that pesky DNA hanging around your trunk? HF blankets way better than Mr. Wolf showing up and using your wife's favorite linens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm so excited for you. I always enjoy reading the post that go; Should I or shouldn't I, I think I'm gonna do it, I can't wait this XXX day. All that is left is the report back post pick-up. I remember my same situation. I'll never own a pair, holly cow there is a pair close enough for me to drive, can you believe I own Khorns. It will be fun to hear your adventure there and back and initial impressions.

Truth be told, you might be a tad disappointed at first. Your expectations are so high how could they possibly be matched? I'd never heard a pair till I went to buy mine. I was expecting world changing, earth shaking, audio heavens opening up, etc. I remember thinking my khorns are great, but not a world apart from my Forte IIs or Original Chorus. Just the other day I dragged my Forte IIs back in front of my Khorns in and was in love with the Khorns all over again. But I do remember the first few songs not feeling like it was a 180 degree difference/improvement and wondering about the point of diminishing  returns. A couple of days in, hearing your old favorites for the "first time" will make it all worth it. I do predict you will love them. Based on your room picture in the other post I bet you will be surprised how "small" they actually become. You will probably have more usable space over the FIII/bass trap combo.

You also look like you have some quality gear so good news there. The Khorns are not very forgiving. An iPod and AVR is not the way to feed those beasts. They can brutal on the garbage returned from garbage in. LOUD garbage, but garbage non the less. I'd suggest you not get too anxious about swapping XOs changing drivers/horns. Use them, get to know them, find out what you don't like if anything. Then, swap stuff out as you find it necessary not just for the sake of change.

Well said! Here here! I drove 5 hours up hill to get mine. Took them apart, loaded my Chrysler Town n Country Stow n Go with the help of the seller, headed home, got my wife to help bring them in and set them up. You are in for a lot of fun! Blankets, good driving music, drinks, snacks, smartphone, credit card, and you’re good to go. Safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Pics of room for posterity......

The Khorns will want to go in the corners.

You might want to get some pool noodles to seal the bass bin to the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Honor-Traders-Noodles-Padding-Highest/dp/B01N4GDEKT/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1527713580&sr=8-8&keywords=pool+noodles+bulk+cheap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rplace said:

I'm so excited for you. I always enjoy reading the post that go; Should I or shouldn't I, I think I'm gonna do it, I can't wait this XXX day. All that is left is the report back post pick-up. I remember my same situation. I'll never own a pair, holly cow there is a pair close enough for me to drive, can you believe I own Khorns.

This was my experience too!  After wanting a pair for 30 years (!) I found some about 3 miles from my house.  Older couple, original owners.  Talking to the wife about the money, where I was intending to put them, etc.  Took me three trips, top hats in one trip, bass bins two trips.  Still can't believe I have them.  They are fantastic.  Please share your story when you get them home.

One more thing.  Klipschorns reveal everything.  If you put bad tracks in, it'll sound awful.  If you put great tracks in, you'll be stunned.