Our new Home Theater build...Negatron 2

NBPK402

Are exchanging the Xilica for the Minidsp? I would think there would be a down grade to sq.

What Exactly are the 2'x2' mehs for?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I am getting the 2 ddrc88ms for Dirac, and also to replace the Xilica...Chris Said they should be fine. I used the same models before when I had my JBLS and I never heard any difference when I moved to the Xilica.

The 2x2 mehs will be for my surrounds...unless they sound as good as the current mehs, then they will move to the front. If they are moved to the front, I will be looking at building a pair of subs to go under them.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Impressive space and project to undertake

It's been a while.....
Your space reminds me of the rooms in the Roman baths in Pompeii.
Vaulted ceiling and the shape and placement of the window etc....

With the speakers pointed away from the windows,
should be similar to the older theaters with the balcony, I always though the balcony had a better view and sound at the Uptown  in DC, and others. Audio for Apocalypse Now was excellent first run..
I have a loft about 8' behind the mlp.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the Minidsp DDRC88A crossover/Dirac in place for my front 3 channels, and have the crossover settings transferred. I still need to install jacks on the rear of each speaker cabinet for the AmpCamp speaker hookups, and rewire the speakers internally. I am going to use banana jacks for the ACAs as it will avoid confusion down the road. On my left and right channels I am planning on putting the appropriate AmpCamp amp on top of each speaker... I am hoping it will not pass too much heat below the amp to the speaker cabinet as it is veneered. I will use the 4 wire Speakons for driving each woofer with its own amp.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Been a while so here is my update for the year so far...

Purchased a Denafrips Pontus ii DAC, Lumin U1 Mini, and awaiting delivery on a Denafrips Athena preamp.

I took a chance when I bought the Denafrips Pontus ii since my experience with a external DAC was not good (I had a IFI Signature DAC that sounded horrible). The Pontus started out sounding good and over the 1st month went to outstanding! The Pontus is a fully balanced Ladder DAC, and it sound the closest to vinyl I have ever heard tonally. Now the biggest thing is the noise floor is very low and it throws a holographic soundstage that must be heard to appreciate!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update... The Athena arrived and even though it is a active no gain preamp it pushes my K402 MEHs to 95db on peaks @ 15' to the mlp with the volume set to 20 or lower!

It also has increased the legibility of minute details.

My wife and i are planning on moving to Portugal in the next year or two (more likely 2-3 years), and shipping the MEHs will be a big cost, so...

Question: I am hoping to get 3 more MEHs completed hopefully by Xmas this year, and I am wondering if there would be any interest in the full size MEHs I have. Any buyer would need to pick them up in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico which is a about a 10 hour drive from Texas. I am thinking $1k each including EV dh1a drivers, Emminence Kappa 15 woofers and the cabinets. Now the cabinets I am including free and they are each a bit different in shape and cabinet enclosure cf (also the center cabinet is in the best condition but has a big scratch on one of the short sides. The other 2 are in varying condition on the veneer). I will give complete pics of the exterior so you can see how they are, whenwe are ready to sell. This might give you a way to decide which way to go on dampening and size if you choose to make new cabinets. I would like to sell all 3 MEHs complete (minus the crossover) together and if someone was to purchase all 3, I will sell the 4th MEH horn only for $250 additional. All the horns are in good condition with a couple having some flaking of the laminating in the horn. I will also include 3 grills that I made for the MEHs. If anyone is interested and can make the trip down here and back, let me know. The drive down is pretty safe, but I highly recommend only driving during the day, and driving on toll roads or freeways. there is a place that is local that does home moves to and from Mexico and that might be a better option. You could always fly down here and then make arrangements to ship via cargo back to the USA.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just figured I would post here and see if it sounded like a fair price and whether anyone would even think of going the distance to pick up. I will post later this year (in the garage section) once the small speakers are completed. @billybob

• Like 1