Moving to RF7III worth it?

Kman

currently for my front three I am using RP-280f's with 450c center for my home theater. having never heard the newer RF7 line. I was wondering if its worth the upgrade. I mostly watch movies with some music from time to time. thanks

• Like 1

Short answer yes....

long answer yes....with more detail 😀

The dual 10” woofers have much more bass. The speaker image is larger and fills the room better. Music sounds great, it’s amazing hearing the drums bounce from one speaker to next. Make sure you have enough room to move them away from walls for best sound. 

37D522E7-1D6B-4821-9CC4-C7161CA18B5B.jpeg

Long answer :D  Skip the "consumer" stuff and go with the "Professional" speakers :D You can find (OK; not easy) KPT-904's used for $1000.  They even make some of the Pro stuff now in veneered cabinets (WAF factor).

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

I remember working at the good guys when I was younger even when we had the Yamaha ZR series top of the line receiver at the time with a full Klipsch RF top of thd line system, THE RF7s required and shined with separate amps(parasound A21 that we had in store was an amazing combo....).

interesting. currently using yamaha 3060 for HT. so most are saying I would need an external amp for the front three if I go this route to get the best from the speakers. Not sure I wanted to do that, at least not now. 

• Moderators

@Kman, I haven't heard the Reference Premiere but Klipsch is going to send me an RP system next month to review on my Youtube Channel so I'm looking forward to hearing how they compare to the RF7 III.  I would think the RF7 III would be a significant improvement over the RP-280F due to the much larger 1.75" Compression Driver, larger cabinet (which typically offers a larger overall sound and presence) and the larger woofers.

Just curious @Westcoastdrums, what did you hate about the RF7 II.  They were a significant improvement in the high frequencies over the RF7.  And IMO, the RF7 III are an improvement over the RF7 II.  I invited several guys over to do some A/B/C Comparison between the three speakers and the RF7 III had the most refined, non-harsh top end of the three.

• Thanks 1

I'm my room, the tonal balance of the RF7 II was all wrong.   Highs were very very soft, mids were buried in the mix and the bass was not tight and clean but rather boomy and not quite a one noter, but close enough.   I was very surprised.  Imaging was quite lacking and everything came from pinpoint middle or was panned hard left or right.   Yes I know they are rear ported and need space to breath from side and back walls, they had it.  Just my experience in a purely two channel setup with solid state separates. 

youth man looking forward to your review of the RP system. As of now I am very happy with the RP280 setup. but as you know we always have the upgrade bug. the Yamaha 3060 has ample power for the 7.2.4 Atmos setup I have.  I just didn't want to start getting into more separate amps ( currently using a small one for added height channel), to power the front three if I decided to upgrade. I would still think the 3060 would be able to push the RF7III setup. 

• Moderators

If you feel the highs are too soft on the RF7 II, you probably are not going to like the sound of the RF7 iIi as they have an even smoother top end.  The RF7 are incredible speakers but have always been plagued with being very harsh and ear fatiguing at higher SPL’s.  Imo, the RF7 II and RF7 III have significant improvements in the top end.  My ears did not hear much difference in the lower frequencies

• Like 1

Ic.   I feel the heresy III and my Forte III are very smooth and non fatiguing in the high end as well but I love them.   The tonal balance is right to me ears.  Either way I'll check out your video review.   Thanks for posting.   I agree the RF7 were quite bright and harsh.   I would fire them straight ahead or with very little toe in and that solved thay problem.