Running 2 Pair of Heresy A + B

ishwash

Can anybody explain to me why this works so well: Place TWO IDENTICAL PAIR of Heresy speakers together closely, side by side or stacked, right and left channel and run all speakers at same time, A plus B. If I could quantify how much better they sound than a single pair being run alone, I would say it's like 150% better, much fuller sound; in fact, Heresys used this way deliver sound that is pretty darn (DARN, not DAMN, I didn't cuss) complete to the point that no other speakers are required to have an impressive sounding stereo system.

Dynaco used to advertise this back in the day in an effort to sell more of their little bookshelf A25's. They would even show in their ad a batch of maybe 5 stacked A25's for each left and right channel and expound about how great it sounds. Two pair are practical, I doubt there was much improvement with more than two pair, and I don't know anybody who ever actually did more than two pair, but two pair of those little A25's did sound significantly better.

To me that is the greatest significance of Claude's upgrades to the Heresy 1. Using 2 pairs of his Super Heresy with your amp yields a quality music system, I think. But why?

• Like 2

Sounds great, now to absolutely blow your mind put one in each corner of the room.

I've only had a .1 setup on my pc, but plain stereo with four speakers spread out is fantastic.

Ran three sets of speakers at 100w/channel with my RX1100 for a few years, it filled the whole house/neighborhood with each set in a different room.

Have fun "pissin' off the neighbors"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder what would happen if you stacked your four heresys top to top in opposing corners... BUT clocked the top pair of speakers slightly off axis to the others... say 10-15 degrees difference between the two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ishwash said:

Can anybody explain to me why this works so well: Place TWO IDENTICAL PAIR of Heresy speakers together closely, side by side or stacked, right and left channel and run all speakers at same time, A plus B. If I could quantify how much better they sound than a single pair being run alone, I would say it's like 150% better, much fuller sound; in fact, Heresys used this way deliver sound that is pretty darn (DARN, not DAMN, I didn't cuss) complete to the point that no other speakers are required to have an impressive sounding stereo system.

Dynaco used to advertise this back in the day in an effort to sell more of their little bookshelf A25's. They would even show in their ad a batch of maybe 5 stacked A25's for each left and right channel and expound about how great it sounds. Two pair are practical, I doubt there was much improvement with more than two pair, and I don't know anybody who ever actually did more than two pair, but two pair of those little A25's did sound significantly better.

To me that is the greatest significance of Claude's upgrades to the Heresy 1. Using 2 pairs of his Super Heresy with your amp yields a quality music system, I think. But why?

Not sure I understand your location....where would that be?

24 minutes ago, Schu said:

I wonder what would happen if you stacked your four heresys top to top in opposing corners... BUT clocked the top pair of speakers slightly off axis to the others... say 10-15 degrees difference between the two.

hmmm...probably sound real good in in the room three doors down but only if I play Led Zep on left channel and Bob Dylan on the right channel...

Hi @ishwash ... yes; they will sound better as double, triples, etc ... Have not been to a concert where the performer had a single set of speakers :D  

As an upgrade to your "double" Super Heresy's, let me suggest the following ...

Klipsch-speaker-wall.png

(pic from owner/seller/member smashwuf)

On a smaller scale, I've got Heresy's, Cornwall's, KPT-904's and (temporarily) KP-3002's all running at the same time.  And @JohnJ ... "my neighbors" like it ... they come over (OK; free wine) when I turn it up :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

All right, Emile, so no surprise to anyone that stacked will sound significantly better...you never see it in a home, at least I haven't, and it just seemed like nobody was really getting it (what I was trying to say).

And pardon me, JimJimbo, I thought you were referencing my statement as to my physical location being in Trump Country USA. My position is in front, in the focal point of the speakers, exactly where you would wish to be re your speakers.

And Schu, my apologies also, you were being serious as well, so sorry. Place all four in two adjacent corners and cock one in each corner inward toward each other, by the degree stated? Thanks!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ishwash said:

no surprise to anyone that stacked will sound significantly better...you never see it in a home, at least I haven't

Haha ... a lot of "Klipsch nut's" here have "wall's of sound" ... stacked up higher and higher and wider and wider :D 

38 minutes ago, ishwash said:

And @Schu, my apologies also, you were being serious as well, so sorry. Place all four in two adjacent corners and cock one in each corner inward toward each other, by the degree stated? Thanks!

Believe @Schu was trying to keep them stacked as pairs ... then turn the top ones 10-15 degrees to see how that affects the sound :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

The "two pair" arrangement also became popular with Advent The Larger speakers (I believe that was what they were called). The result was somehow greater than the sum of the parts. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't espoused in some esoteric audio magazine decades ago.

16 hours ago, Peter P. said:

The "two pair" arrangement also became popular with Advent The Larger speakers (I believe that was what they were called). The result was somehow greater than the sum of the parts. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't espoused in some esoteric audio magazine decades ago.

Called synergism, I think. Probably room-size related. Emile pointed out that concerts use it to the extreme, may have even discovered it?

23 hours ago, ishwash said:

All right, Emile, so no surprise to anyone that stacked will sound significantly better...you never see it in a home, at least I haven't, and it just seemed like nobody was really getting it (what I was trying to say).

Hi I did not state the obvious and still did not see it mentioned yet. Might actually be like an understood subject in grammar around here. You've probably got this down too, but here goes.

Obvious advantage to me years ago when I had two exact pair of a different speaker was the receiver put out x watts per channel so with two sets of the same it was actually twice as much wattage to produce the music with that old HK. It is significantly better with twice the drivers and twice the wattage!

My newest amp does it differently and I have bi-wired-amped-whatever (some get triggered about the verbiage) my Forte IIIs. A output to the HF and the B output to LF. In essence I'm running two sets of speakers and this amp will output 1.5 times the wattage.

More simply seems like you are enjoying Doublemint gum.... twice the drivers like two babes instead of just one in the old Wrigley's commercial.

• Haha 1