What is a good replacement for the NAD2200 that drives my Heresy IIIs?

gctwnl

I have been using Klipsch Heresy (first I then III) for decades and they were driven by my NAD 2200 (Class A/B) amplifier. That amplifier really has a great sound, but it is at the end of its life. I had it refurbished two years ago (new condensators and such), but I keep having trouble with channels dropping and 'crackling'. So, I have to find a new amplifier. I did not have to look for a new amplifier for decades, but now I have to.

I listened to some (not expensive) Class D amplifiers and they sounded truly, truly awful. So, I wondered what (semi-)affordable (I'm not going to spend 8k for an amplifier) options are that can drive my Heresy's well and that sound as good as my NAD2200.

Welcome to the madness. Not sure why you've had such a bad experience with Class D as I prefer even cheap ones to any SS at any price with Klipsch. Over course, I could be deaf. I have several amps, including classic tube amps. In class D, I am a big fan of the Panasonic SA series of HT receivers and have several I picked up on EBay. Also, a couple of nice ones from Dayton Audio, including a little one of about 75.00 that drives K'horns louder than one can handle with no effort.

To my ears, most SS amps all sound identical unless they are REALLY poorly designed. Lots of differences in tubes, and in class D.

Maybe you've just been unlucky...or maybe you hear something different. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Deang said:

Why not buy another NAD. They have a great house sound, and I've been looking at them myself.

What he said.

I drive my Heresy I's with an older flagship NAD T773 AVR and the combo is great.  Far and away the best sound AVR I have ever heard.

Maybe look at an NAD C356BEE/DAC Class AB integrated amp.

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/NAD-Electronics-C-356BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-Factory-Refurbished?cat=47

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/NAD-Electronics-C-356DAC-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-with-DAC-Factory-Refurbished?cat=47

Or if you want a bit more gusto, then look at this.

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/NAD-Electronics-C-375BEE-Integrated-Amplifier-Factory-Refurbished?cat=47

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Bill

I was an NAD (and PSB) rep for about 9 years and always liked selling their line; which was a tougher sale in many areas, but never the less, a good line.  They did have some problems in some of their surround receivers for a few years, including the one you have, Willlland, but got them sorted out (that series seemed to work better in 2ch than surround for reliability).  I guess your budget is going to be the main thing along with if you're going to stay around the 100wpc amp range.  A C268 at 80wpc would be one choice in just a power amp only.  What preamp are you currently using?  Seems like after their 80wpc, they step on up to 150wpc.

Maybe look for a used and redone 216THX amp.  Those were good amps at 125wpc.

5 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

+1. They can be had for very little money used and have a smooth sound with soft clipping circuitry.   

I love NAD.  I have 150 w.p.c. and I switch out soft clipping, because with my Klipchorns and Belle, 88 watts will produce 115 dB from each speaker in a 4,000 ++ cu.ft. room.  Since my peaks are rarely that high (more like 105 dB), I don't knowingly experience any kind of clipping.

Yes.   SELDOMLY for short periods of time, but yes.   I listen to much different music than most of you here.  This is why I don't post in the music portions of this forum and why I chuckled at the 85 and under club on LA scalas (no offense to anyone and I completely understand the preservation of hearing).   I just couldn't buy a Z06 corvette and drive it 35 mph or less 90% of the time.    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Bass eats up Amplifier power easily.

Someone once posted the peak SPL of a closely mic'd rimshot.  I wish I had that post, but it was incredibly high (I think 120 something dB, for those milliseconds).

Also, to produce the same SPL, whatever Cornwalls they were building in 1977 needed 2.35 times the power in watts than the Khorn did, according to the Dope from Hope, January 1977.  So, if a Khorn needs 64 watts to produce a 113 dB peak in a good sized room, a Cornwall would need about 182 watts.  There you go.   And PWK said you need very brief peaks of 115 dB "at your ears."

• Like 1

In the past I have owned a number of NAD components and would say that I found each and everyone a stellar performer. That does not mean that there could be other better options.   The recommended choices will come down to budget. At this point all I know is that 8k is out of your range!