Super Heresy tweeter update

mopardave

On 11/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, Ljk said:

Do a search for road show, should be able to find thread on mahl ( machine alu. horn lens) I believe  claude uses this combo on new super heresy. Bob crites sites will explain the ct 120 and ct125 to you better than I can.  In each case the horn lens is matched to get the most out of tweeter according to speaker - crossover etc used. De10 could be used but may be more trouble than its worth given other choice's.

DaveA contacted me with a suggestion of a road show.  He's sending out the DE120 with the MAHL lens to try on my Supers.   

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, mopardave said:

Still waiting for them from DaveA .   

Sorry about that. The guy who had them did not want to send them back and bought them and took a bit longer than I wish to tell me that. I have a set going to you today after you confirm your address by PM sent to you.

I have a set of @Dave A MAHL with DE120 in Super Heresy with a B&C 12CL76 woofer and K53 mids , also a modified set of ALK universals. All sounding very nice thank you! Tweeters are nice and smooth. I’m 64 so best to rely on younger ears to tell me the high highs are nice.

11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I've been curving all the combinations for Dave. You can't go wrong with the MAHL and DE-120. You won't want to give it back. LOL.

You are right Claude and that is exactly what happened to me this week. Got a money order and not the tweeters back yesterday.

I really enjoy my MAHL with the DE110 in my Heresy right channel... I left the Left speaker as was (for the last 2 months) for the stereo comparisons' of lenses both hooked up to DE110's…. Dave make's and deliver's the finest machine work I've seen (goes back to 1978 for me) when I started using aluminum inserts in a plastic extrusion operation... just experiencing the alignment of the allen head bolt's in my personal equipment at home give's me that guarantee that I know a good fit when I experience the install... the sound is simply better as in wonderful... I don't feel that any other adjective's in a comparison situation are worthy of one excellent point of view over another.  

On 12/7/2018 at 10:21 AM, windashine said:

I really enjoy my MAHL with the DE110 in my Heresy right channel... I left the Left speaker as was (for the last 2 months) for the stereo comparisons' of lenses both hooked up to DE110's…. Dave make's and deliver's the finest machine work I've seen (goes back to 1978 for me) when I started using aluminum inserts in a plastic extrusion operation... just experiencing the alignment of the allen head bolt's in my personal equipment at home give's me that guarantee that I know a good fit when I experience the install... the sound is simply better as in wonderful... I don't feel that any other adjective's in a comparison situation are worthy of one excellent point of view over another.  

I like the DE-110's also, they are slightly smaller and easier to deal with mechanically, and, in a few regards, more rugged diaphragm material (theoretically), but the main difference is slightly wider dispersion (due to their smaller size?) at 10 Khz. so operating the Super Heresys near corners (as you should) may give you more dimensional "air" in the 10-20 hz. range bouncing off walls. Either way, you can't go wrong with a DE-110. I would also defer to younger ears, even when testing cymbal sounds, on that harmonically related note (pun intended).

On 12/7/2018 at 3:10 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I like the DE-110's also, they are slightly smaller and easier to deal with mechanially and, in a few regards, more rugged diaphragm material (theoretically), but the main difference is slightly wider dispersion (due to their smaller size?) at 10 Khz. so operating the Super Heresys near corners (as you should) may give you more dimensional "air" in the 10-20 hz. range bouncing off walls. Either way, you can't go wrong with a DE-110. I would also defer to younger ears, even when testing cymbal sounds, on that harmonically related note (pun intended).

Ok. Gonna try the DE120 MAHL drivers in the Super Heresy tomorrow.   Currently have the Tweeter on #4 tap. Will this be ok or will i have to move to another tap?  I had to move the K55m mid to #2 tap from #3 tap to smoothen it out. I believe the diaphrams are original in the 55's thou.   Heres a pic of my crude xo

20180202_175606.jpg

Ok, I pulled the old K77's out of the Super Heresy's today and replaced them with the DE 120 with the MAHL lens DaveA sent me.    Listened to alot of different music before i made the switch.   Not sure these are brand new or used, but my first impression was the sound stage wasn't there like the K77's i just removed.   After a short time listening i started to here a more pronounced sound stage. Maybe just my ears.   I bumped the volume up to 90db from 75/80db and was better again.   Bumped it up again to 95/100db and it was sounding pretty good.  The symbols do sound  cleaner with more detail in my opinion.    Definitly an improvement for sure.    If these are brand new maybe they require some burn in time?    The one thing i really notice with these Heresy's is the vocals need some improving.  They have a bit of hollow horn sound. Not bad, i'm just being a perfectionist.  I'm using K55m mids with original diaphram , I think these are 1982 versions.  Kinda like having too much mid range.   Some recordings are better than others in that respect.         How do i clean up the vocals?        I'm using JJ KT77's, maybe just the tubes?

• 1 month later...

Been doing a lot of listening since I installed the new DE120's from DaveA. I rolled some new tubes thru the Audcom with great results.  Removed the JJ KT77 and installed the Gold LION KT77.  Smoother sound and just recently removed the original Chinese 12ax7(which I thought sounded quite good) and installed new Gold Lion 12ax7 gold pin.   These Supers with the new DE120's and just simply now badass to my ears.     

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Been doing a lot of listening since I installed the new DE120's from DaveA. I rolled some new tubes thru the Audcom with great results.  Removed the JJ KT77 and installed the Gold LION KT77.  Smoother sound and just recently removed the original Chinese 12ax7(which I thought sounded quite good) and installed new Gold Lion 12ax7 gold pin.   These Supers with the new DE120's and just simply now badass to my ears.     

You must also have some badass ears and music to play on them then. Symbiotic realtionship, methinks.

22 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Tim @teaman is looking for K77s if you’re selling.  Howell to Mt. Morris makes delivery simple.

I want to keep them.  I would still like to try them again later just to see the difference to compare, but right now i'm really liking how this system is coming together.   My wife has very good ears, so some times when i think i'm hearing something ,but not sure i have her take a listen without giving any clues and she confirms most of what i'm hearing.   She just mentioned that right now the Supers are most pleasing and enjoyable to listen to than my Cornwalls.  I would have to agree.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mopardave said:

I want to keep them.  I would still like to try them again later just to see the difference to compare, but right now i'm really liking how this system is coming together.   My wife has very good ears, so some times when i think i'm hearing something ,but not sure i have her take a listen without giving any clues and she confirms most of what i'm hearing.   She just mentioned that right now the Supers are most pleasing and enjoyable to listen to than my Cornwalls.  I would have to agree.

Well now you know why I named them "baby Cornwalls." Several years ago, at a Chicago Klipsch get together, many people agreed with your wife's conclusions.

On 12/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, mopardave said:

Ok, I pulled the old K77's out of the Super Heresy's today and replaced them with the DE 120 with the MAHL lens DaveA sent me.    Listened to alot of different music before i made the switch.   Not sure these are brand new or used, but my first impression was the sound stage wasn't there like the K77's i just removed.   After a short time listening i started to here a more pronounced sound stage. Maybe just my ears.   I bumped the volume up to 90db from 75/80db and was better again.   Bumped it up again to 95/100db and it was sounding pretty good.  The symbols do sound  cleaner with more detail in my opinion.    Definitly an improvement for sure.    If these are brand new maybe they require some burn in time?    The one thing i really notice with these Heresy's is the vocals need some improving.  They have a bit of hollow horn sound. Not bad, i'm just being a perfectionist.  I'm using K55m mids with original diaphram , I think these are 1982 versions.  Kinda like having too much mid range.   Some recordings are better than others in that respect.         How do i clean up the vocals?        I'm using JJ KT77's, maybe just the tubes?

As noted in various places those DE120's do need to break in. When they are you will know because it goes from a bit strident to musical. I normally leave them on for a day and a half at moderate volumes and it eems most the breakin gets done by then.

• Like 1