Is Black Friday News "Real" News?

Jeff Matthews

22 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

The news stations plant all these reporters at stores, and they tell you what's on sale and show interviews of happy shoppers.

Is this "real" news, or do the stores pay the media to show up and report on them?

=== it’s fake news, of course. Real news would have them stationed at various Amazon installations — 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

The news stations plant all these reporters at stores, and they tell you what's on sale and show interviews of happy shoppers.

Is this "real" news, or do the stores pay the media to show up and report on them?

All of the the local "Real News Stations" planted reporters around a local mall here last night and they were interviewing shoppers leaving the mall. But they weren't talking about BF sales. The reporters were asking exiting shoppers about the shoot-out inside the mall that killed one and injured 2 others. The mall was evacuated at 9:30 PM and closed. Many shoppers said they would never come back to the mall again. Others said they would shop online. You just can't buy this kind of coverage.

So, I believe this was 'real' news with no pay involved. In other words, NO COLLUSION .

Keith

I was at Walmart hours before Black Friday pricing kicked in, picking up eggs.

I wandered over the to TV's and the pricing all looked the same as before BF.  I asked an assistant manager where the BF TV's were and he said only 6 were BF deals, and one of the TV's only had two pieces in stock.  He said that was much less than from last year.

I saw three uniformed city cops and tons of people with vests on, "Electronics, Clothing..." etc.  There were bins and bins of ear buds, ten bucks.  A stack of ink jet printers, twenty bucks.  The prices on the TV's were low but nothing was really a "deal" just the usual low Walmart prices.  Some guy even took something from the bins two hours early and no kidding, a Walmart guy tracked him down told him he couldn't check out with it for two more hours.

I got my eggs and left.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MyOwn said:

This ain"t gonna last long....lol

con·text

the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea

col·lu·sion

secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

do the stores pay the media to show up and report on them

21 hours ago, T2K said:

I believe this was 'real' news with no pay involved. In other words, NO COLLUSION

• Like 1

News reports and fluff have gone hand in hand for years.  No, it is not fake news to report the local shopping scene.  It is news, and it is real.  Many people invest based on anecdotal reports of what is selling or how many people are clamoring to buy.  It is real enough for them.  Why the thread Jeff?  Fake news is an entirely different category from real news.  Real news can be fluffy, such as "look at those adorable kittens the fireman saved last night."  It doesn't make it less real.  Fake news for example, is "the basement of this pizza parlor is a slave holding zone for child sex slaves" when the parlor mentioned has nothing to do with child sex slavery, and doesn't even have a basement.

Even if the stores paid the media, the news is still real if it is reported factually.  Fake news is someone like Alex Jones claiming that the Sandy Hook massacre is a "false flag" event and that the people seen reacting to burying their children are "crisis actors" as part of some ploy, and that the whole thing was made up.  You know, conspiracy theories that some want to believe because it fits their twisted world view---like 9/11 was an inside job because Bush wanted---I forget---what?

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Even if the stores paid the media, the news is still real if it is reported factually.  Fake news is someone like Alex Jones claiming that the Sandy Hook massacre is a "false flag" event and that the people seen reacting to burying their children are "crisis actors" as part of some ploy, and that the whole thing was made up.  You know, conspiracy theories that some want to believe because it fits their twisted world view---like 9/11 was an inside job because Bush wanted---I forget---what?

Zen's definition would include advertisements paraded as news.  I agree with that.  This has been going on for at least decades by now, with "news" about flipping homes, buying annuities, etc.  It's just that nobody was expecting it to go political.  

What was even more unexpected was that there would be yet another sector of people who learned how you could cheaply make some money just throwing political click-bait out there.  The Onion was the beginning of that.  However, The Onion was a dead giveaway once you read enough of it.  Satire only goes so far, but the truth is boundless. 

That's where your definition of fake news comes in.  This is just basically an unorganized plethora of people forming their own online version of The National Enquirer, where they quote each other's stories and make up their own, until the trail becomes so huge it can make sane people begin to wonder.  These are not "ads."  They are touted as journalism.  The "journalism" drives the ad revenues.  It is the click-bait to get people to click ads once they hit your page.

Seems like there should be some legal definition of a ‘sale’ price item. It’s obvious that stores will inflate prices then reduce them and call them ‘sale priced’ when in fact they’re charging more than typical. I’ve not seen much in the way of massively reduced prices on any ads this year. Methnx the real deals will occur after the holiday whence retailers envision the final opportunities to clear inventories.

5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Satire only goes so far,

You would think.  But a satire site was taken seriously many times by the idiot faction, who then forwarded emails as if the satirical stories were true.  This is despite the disclaimers on the site saying that nothing on this page is true...Search for "nothing on this page is true" and see what I mean.  I know this from personal experience of others forwarding such "horror stories" which originated from satirical sites.

3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Seems like there should be some legal definition of a ‘sale’ price item. It’s obvious that stores will inflate prices then reduce them and call them ‘sale priced’ when in fact they’re charging more than typical. I’ve not seen much in the way of massively reduced prices on any ads this year. Methnx the real deals will occur after the holiday whence retailers envision the final opportunities to clear inventories.

Nonsense.  Sale means--make a sale.  Getting all legal is what is part of the major problem with the USA today. It is ironic in that we pride ourselves on being a nation ruled by law, which I agree is better than the alternatives, but that taken too far, becomes a nation bogged down by laws.

50 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You would think.  But a satire site was taken seriously many times by the idiot faction, who then forwarded emails as if the satirical stories were true.  This is despite the disclaimers on the site saying that nothing on this page is true...Search for "nothing on this page is true" and see what I mean.  I know this from personal experience of others forwarding such "horror stories" which originated from satirical sites.

I understand, but I was speaking more collectively.  In other words, anyone connected to 2 or more other people will quickly come to find out The Onion is satire.