Article on SET Amplification

Wolfbane

Check out the Inspire amplifiers that Dennis Had, founder of Cary Audio, is selling on the big auction site. It's his retirement hobby. They are single ended pentode and some are triode strapped. Point to point wiring and use one pair of tubes. 6V6-KT150's can be used with different rectifiers and they are self biasing. Very affordable and a great match with Klipsch.

3 hours ago, Les Lammers said:

Check out the Inspire amplifiers that Dennis Had, founder of Cary Audio, is selling on the big auction site. It's his retirement hobby. They are single ended pentode and some are triode strapped. Point to point wiring and use one pair of tubes. 6V6-KT150's can be used with different rectifiers and they are self biasing. Very affordable and a great match with Klipsch.

Truth! I just got one and the K-Horns never sounded better!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 8:13 AM, kevinmi said:

I'm using a Cary SLP-98P-FI.( The P stands for Phono section, and the FI is an upgrade done by Upscale Audio). Dennis Had designed it.

Cary used to make tube CD Players and they sound great. Seem to be long gone from new production now. Replaced by DAC's which probably were massively out selling CDP's.

I suspect Dennis Had would have been involved in CDP development and production at Cary when they used tubes.

" In contrast, a push/pull amplifier, which uses a pair (or more) of tubes, splits the plus/minus of the music signal, then it has to put them back together to form the complete musical wave in each channel. "

I believe the author is confusing push/pull operation with class A/B operation.  They are not the same thing.  Push pull operation uses two tubes in opposing polarity to push and pull the signal at the same time.  A/B operation splits the signal and uses one tube to power the positive half of the wave, and one to power the negative half of the wave.  This signals are then recombined.  This is in contrast to a class A amplifier, which passes the complete signal (positive and negative) through one tube (or set of tubes).  A/B operation suffers from crossover distortion, class A does not.  Though they are not particularly common, it is entirely possible to build a class A, push/pull amplifier.

Someone correct me if I am misunderstanding this.

I have issues with an article on SET and Horn form a home theater site lol... The reviewer states he has royal princess mesh tubes and they are not mesh they are plates with holes punched in them big difference. He was already a Tekton fan so that was the route this review was taking. Reviewer states horns sound like a megaphone and experiences listener fatigue. Don't know where to start so I will let it be and can't really trust a reviewer after comments like that but I trust no reviewers. They are just into verbatum masturbation..

To thine ears and source material be true!

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 9:02 AM, tube fanatic said:

This will set the record straight:      http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/the-last-word-on-class-a

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/amp-classes.htm

Maynard

I love the Aikenamps articles. They are maybe the best collection out there and straight to the point no BS!!

22 minutes ago, seti said:

I have issues with an article on SET and Horn form a home theater site lol... The reviewer states he has royal princess mesh tubes and they are not mesh they are plates with holes punched in them big difference. He was already a Tekton fan so that was the route this review was taking. Reviewer states horns sound like a megaphone and experiences listener fatigue. Don't know where to start so I will let it be and can't really trust a reviewer after comments like that but I trust no reviewers. They are just into verbatum masturbation..

To thine ears and source material be true!

Yes, I thought the exact same thing when I read it.

• Like 1