La Scala Industrial split version, how to connect the hi-mid module to the low module?

Alessio

On 5/26/2019 at 5:23 PM, Alessio said:

The one who sold the speakers to me said he bought them new back in the days and that the salesperson told him to connect them that way.

I'm starting to doubt about that story

Yeah, it's right up there with the one about the marionette that wanted to be a real boy.  Either he bought them new or he didn't.  If he did he messed with them, or allowed it to be done.  The good thing is now they'll be right or better.

I can't think of any valid reason to do what was done, but someone thought differently.

44 minutes ago, glens said:

I can't think of any valid reason to do what was done, but someone thought differently.

It seems he had a pair of Klipsch mcm1900.

He sent me a pic of them used together with the La Scalas i bought.

So maybe he needed some spare parts to fix those…?

d671837e-a365-4426-ac46-69e161c82d9f.jpg

Anyway, this old man is incredible, he's still saying – QUITE aggressively at this point – he bought the La Scalas new and that nobody ever opened those cases. He says that they've always sounded perfect and that i'm an idiot (just he used stronger words)  because i myself said i was liking their sound, before noticing the 'problem'. He's even offended because i doubt of his honorable words, to the point of menacing me physically ('if i could come to your home we would finally work this out…" kind of thing). I'm speechless. 😫 Guys, the world is a dangerous place out there. 🤣😖

(He's not even living in Italy anymore, he's in Santo Domingo and at this point i think such a guy probably HAD to leave Italy because of god only know what kind of past deeds… LOL)

Edited by Alessio

18 minutes ago, Alessio said:

It seems he had a pair of Klipsch mcm1900.

He sent me a pic of them used together with the La Scalas i bought.

So maybe he needed some spare parts to fix those…?

Anyway, this old man is incredible, he's still saying – QUITE aggressively at this point – he bought the La Scalas new and that nobody ever opened those cases. He says that they've always sounded perfect and that i'm an idiot (just he used stronger words)  because i myself said i was liking their sound, before noticing the 'problem'. He's even offended because i doubt of his honorable words, to the point of menacing me physically ('if i could come to your home we would finally work this out…" kind of thing). I'm speechless. 😫 Guys, the world is a dangerous place out there. 🤣😖

(He's not even living in Italy anymore, he's in Santo Domingo and at this point i think such a guy probably HAD to leave Italy because of god only know what kind of past deeds… LOL)

Somebody took those parts as the screw holes where they were attached are still there. Doubt very much they came like that.

Move on. Replacing the AL crossover was inevitable. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, MookieStl said:

Even when working properly with all of it's pieces/parts, the AL is not that great of a crossover. Keep that in mind before spending any money on it. A replacement may be a better option.

19 hours ago, Alessio said:

Anyway, that's not too bad, since i was already considering to switch to the ALK crossovers.

Now i just have one more reason to do it.

Good choice on changing the crossover from the dreaded Type AL to something else.  I don't know what ALK sells but Crites.com has a complete Type AA replacement.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Good choice on changing the crossover from the dreaded Type AL to something else.  I don't know what ALK sells but Crites.com has a complete Type AA replacement.

AL type crossovers are just too BRITE in the midrange...especially when listening to complex musical passages, where things like brass horns(trumpet, coronet, etc.) just overpower the rest of the musical information the speakers provide.  One of the engineers involved was a horn-player...pretty simple explanation, right there!  Plant employees first noticed this when they bought new La Scalas with that AL crossover and wanted them replaced with AA networks!

As for the K-43 woofers, they are in the industrial models for ONE REASON...they can handle much more power than the K-33 woofers....there is a trade-off for that additional power-handling though!  If you plan to use the La Scalas in a NON-EXTREME-POWER input situation, then you will definitely notice how much better the K-33 Woofers are at their lower power-handling levels!  Just replace the K-43's, but save them in case you decide to sell the speakers down the road sometime!.  Your speakers...your call!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

If you plan to use the La Scalas in a NON-EXTREME-POWER input situation, then you will definitely notice how much better the K-33 Woofers are at their lower power-handling levels!

Sorry for the pretty noob question, but what i have right now to pilot the LSIs is a McIntosh MC352.

I'm well aware that's a lot of power to feed into these high-efficiency speakers.

Would that be a good reason to keep the K-43s?

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't know what ALK sells but Crites.com has a complete Type AA replacement.

Thanks for the link.

I wasn't aware of Crites at all, i'm gonna check that!

• Like 1

I prefer the K-43's. The bass level difference is just a couple of HZ but the 43's are more musical and better in the mid range and I have had both here to compare. At any volume the 43 sounds fine. Better to have too much wattage rather than barely enough so your amp is fine for these.