Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Edgar

Disc Player That Outputs 44.1 kHz as 44.1 kHz

Recommended Posts

I run an all-digital system to the extent that I can (I digitize phono right after the RIAA preamp). My CD player went kaput and new CD players are all but nonexistent, so I'm looking for a DVD or Blu-Ray player (or preferably transport -- I don't need onboard DACs) with S/PDIF or AES/EBU output that does not resample the 44.1 kHz CD signal to 48 kHz. Every DVD and Blu-Ray player for which I have even actually been able to find the info (most don't say) resamples the CD digital output to 48 kHz.

 

Suggestions welcome. Budget approximately $400. Thanks.

 

- Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cambridge CX transport does that. Mine new was a little higher than that new a couple years ago. You might find one for less than your budget now!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The Cambridge CX transport does that. Mine new was a little higher than that new a couple years ago. You might find one for less than your budget now!

 

Thanks, John. Have you had any mechanical problems with yours? A friend warns about reliability, but has no first-hand experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you want to play individual discs as opposed to serving ripped files?  What's the reason, if I might ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, glens said:

So you want to play individual discs as opposed to serving ripped files?  What's the reason, if I might ask?

 

Simple: I have the discs. And I don't have the motivation or the time to rip them to a server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yamaha makes nice players


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Edgar said:

 

Thanks, John. Have you had any mechanical problems with yours? A friend warns about reliability, but has no first-hand experience.

It is all that I have used in the stereo since almost three years ago and I love it.

It does not have all the timers that my old Yamaha carousel did but I quit making recordings so I got over that.

* Besides the DAC/channel in my pre make digital almost magnificent!

 

 

Edited by JohnJ
*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

It is all that I have used in the stereo since almost three years ago and I love it.

 

I've spent the evening Internet shopping. I'm a bit torn, because I can get the Cambridge CX for ~$400 or I can get a factory refurbished Onkyo C-7030, with warranty, for about 1/3 of that. The Onkyo probably isn't in the same quality class as the Cambridge, but since I'm only using the transport do I really care? Even if the C-7030 mechanicals self-destruct after a year or two, I can replace it twice for what I would pay for one CX.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always something isn't it?

I wanted to play DVDs and SACDs the one Cambridge had was $750. I choked on that price, it was a rebadged big popular brand that shut down last year. The new ones tripled in price after that!

I figure I'm good for now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the Cambridge. I absolutely love their stuff. You won't be disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Always something isn't it?

I wanted to play DVDs and SACDs the one Cambridge had was $750. I choked on that price, it was a rebadged big popular brand that shut down last year. The new ones tripled in price after that!

I figure I'm good for now!

 

For those who are wondering, the Cambridge is built on the same chassis as the Oppo 203.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Deang said:

Buy the Cambridge. I absolutely love their stuff. You won't be disappointed.

 

Thanks. I'll have to prepare myself for surgical removal of several hundred dollars. That may take some time. 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you actually hear the difference between the 44.1 and 48 file?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Schu said:

Can you actually hear the difference between the 44.1 and 48 file?

 

I don't know. But that's not the point. I'm an electrical engineer whose specialty is signal processing. I know what it takes to do resampling well, and I also know that most resamplers don't. So whether I can hear it or not, it bothers me when someone else is messing with my bits unnecessarily.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a Bluesound Vault, or Coctail Audio makes something similar which looks very capable.

 

You can rip a CD, then listen to the results while you rip a few more.  After however many listening sessions you'll be caught up.

 

I didn't go either route but were I to do it over I'd look first at the Bluesound unit.

 

On the point of the thread I fully agree with you.  I'd guess any player that was going to up-sample ought to prominently offer it as one option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Edgar said:

 

the Cambridge is built on the same chassis as the Oppo 203.

Yea that's the brand, there have been two in good shape for sale at the garage section just last month. They don't show up often here.

 

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Can you actually hear the difference between the 44.1 and 48 file?

Good question.

Pretty sure that your rig is more sensitive than mine is with the BIG Klipsch you have!

My new system came together in less than six months.  All I know is that the DACs in my current gear are light years ahead of what I had previously used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, glens said:

How about a Bluesound Vault, or Coctail Audio makes something similar which looks very capable.

 

You can rip a CD, then listen to the results while you rip a few more.  After however many listening sessions you'll be caught up.

 

I've thought about that. But the current Vault 2i is $1200!

 

A PC is an intrinsic part of my system, serving as digital EQ and crossover. But it's a "headless" Intel NUC with no optical drive. I could attach a big HD and rip as I go, but I'd still need a CD player or USB drive to spin the disc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edgar said:

A PC is an intrinsic part of my system, serving as digital EQ and crossover.

 

What software do you use for your eq and crossover duties? Can you give some info for that, in simple terms... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Edgar said:

 

I don't know. But that's not the point. I'm an electrical engineer whose specialty is signal processing. I know what it takes to do resampling well, and I also know that most resamplers don't. So whether I can hear it or not, it bothers me when someone else is messing with my bits unnecessarily.

I thought you were concerned you would have to change your anti-aliasing filters or your DAC couldn't do 48kHz. Carry on.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...