Heresy I advice needed

MeloManiac

I (almost) closed a deal for a pair of Heresy I speakers. According to the seller, the serials are matching, but this is what the stickers say:

Speaker 1:

serial: 5K971

inspected: Kris Powell

tested: NW Bradford

Speaker 2:

serial: 5K982

inspected: Logam vh Hamilton

tested: NW Bradford

To me, these are not matching numbers. Or am I missing something?

The veneer has a lot of flower pot water rings, and one or two small dark rings, also due to water, I think. I think that sanding them, and then staining them and some bee wax will do the job. Any advice is welcome, because this is my very first project.

Look for Barkeepers Friend on the forums regarding stain removal. Sequential numbers generally mean the veneer is bookend and otherwise not. If they look close and are in good shape otherwise beat on the guy because of the stains and if you get a good price take them home and enjoy them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Barkeepers Friend

Great tip!

I don't think this will be on the market here in Europe, so I'll have to look for some other brand.

I noticed it is actually a strong acid (ph is 1.5) - oxalic acid. 

After doing some research on Wikipedia, I now know that in Dutch we call it 'ontwereringsmiddel' and it is cheap and readily available. 

This is what makes this forum, its great members and doing a project like this so fantastic: I haven't got the speakers yet, and I already learned a very useful thing!

I found this in our local DIY-shop: Starwax!

starwax.jpg

7 hours ago, baron167 said:

Not sequential. If you're not comfortable with the price or scope of the project, simply pass. I'd pass.

You are right. But when I think of it, these numbers are very close. They are likely to have been made on the same day. So I can imagine that back in 1972, these speakers were part of a larger shipment and were shipped to Europe and then sold here without really matching the sequential numbers. They probably didn't worry too much about the matching veneer. This is just my opinion, as I don't have any info on the history of these speakers.

• Like 1

I'd caution against using liquids to remove the finish or the water stains. The veneer is very thin and any liquids can seep through and possibly loosen the adhesive.

Definitely sand them, or practice with the liquid on the bottom of the cabinet where any damage will be unseen.

I agree with baron167; the S/N's aren't as important as the overall condition. They'll still sound like Heresy's!

2 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I'd caution against using liquids to remove the finish or the water stains. The veneer is very thin and any liquids can seep through and possibly loosen the adhesive.

Definitely sand them, or practice with the liquid on the bottom of the cabinet where any damage will be unseen.

I agree with baron167; the S/N's aren't as important as the overall condition. They'll still sound like Heresy's!

Yes and be ready to have to paint over the mistake of sanding through. I have done this and only sanded through one time but there is that risk.

After a long ride to Brussels, I came home with this fine pair of 1972 Heresy I speakers. They are in much better condition than I feared. Kept my  young children awake while testing them. They sound really sweet! Enough bass for me and they sound best with 'loudness' turned off.

Can' t wait to test them loud and clean them a bit, esp the flowerpot rings.

IMG_20191002_230125.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1972 is very near the transition in name from H700 to Heresy.  What does the back label say the finish code?  Looks like it might be HWO. 

I get 115 km/71 miles to Brussels.  Is that a long distance in  Belgium?

Using Starwax, similar to Barkeepers Friend, with oxalic acid as working ingredient, I treated my newly acquired Heresy I speakers. here is a before and after. I 'm going to give it a third treatment later, because it is still not perfect.

I used walnut kitchen oil to finalize the treatment.

DSCF6454.jpg

DSCF6459.jpg

DSCF6460.jpg

DSCF6461.jpg

DSCF6462.jpg

DSCF6463.jpg

DSCF6477.jpg

DSCF6478.jpg

Those older Heresy's are the best in my book. Real wood and not MDF and I would not think of trying to use water and oxalic acid stuff on MDF. Look into recapping your crossovers to if that has not been done. It will make a real difference in what you hear.

• Like 2

Good work and the cabinets are definitely coming along.  Hard to tell with lighting in the photos, they look a bit yellow, but you might also try something like Howard's Restore-a-Finish in walnut or equivalent to darken the walnut just a tad.  Also, after listening for a while, you may want to change out the capacitors.  You should have an E crossover with 2 "oil can" capacitors per crossover/cabinet.  You can spend a little or a lot, but just even $20 USD or less per capacitor and you'll likely hear a bit of difference.  Enjoy as these will give you many years of audio bliss.

1 minute ago, MC39693 said:

Good work and the cabinets are definitely coming along.  Hard to tell with lighting in the photos, they look a bit yellow, but you might also try something like Howard's Restore-a-Finish in walnut or equivalent to darken the walnut just a tad.  Also, after listening for a while, you may want to change out the capacitors.  You should have an E crossover with 2 "oil can" capacitors per crossover/cabinet.  You can spend a little or a lot, but just even $20 USD or less per capacitor and you'll likely hear a bit of difference.  Enjoy as these will give you many years of audio bliss.

$2 Dayton 1% tolerance caps work good. Many like Sonicaps here and they will run maybe $6 something each and over there Solens will be available cheap. 

Just now, MC39693 said:

Good point @Dave A the Solen's in Europe are likely cheap, also maybe Jantzen too.  I've used the Dayton's and Jantzen Z-Silver caps in E and E2 crossovers, and happy with both.

I 'm definitely taking note of this. First, I will enjoy listening to them as they are now. They sound pretty good, actually. 😉

1 hour ago, ILI said:

I 'm going to give it a third treatment later, because it is still not perfect.

Starting to look pretty good already :D  

Not sure about your "walnut kitchen oil." I have used "Danish Oil," which actually does have some varnish in it and worked great (for me). In the US it is made by "Watco" and comes in clear/medium/dark walnut. Might help cover up the stain somemore. Anyone??